• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Uta no Prince-sama - Maji Love 2000% Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
thankfully they added more screen time for Norio Wakamoto. I enjoy watching his character do the most bizarre things and rolling his r's, even when there aren't any
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love Utapri!! at least it's not pretentious compared to some shows..
AdamantLife

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I kinda like Haruka's eyes Embarassed
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
thankfully they added more screen time for Norio Wakamoto. I enjoy watching his character do the most bizarre things and rolling his r's, even when there aren't any

Oh my God, I can't believe I forgot to mention that in the review! It's my absolute favorite part of the show. Laughing
Hamu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Utapri is not your usual otoge anime. It is fully aware of what it is, and fully embraces it. It's absurd, ridiculous and proud of it, and which is why I love it so much. What other series gives you sexual metaphors with music, rainbows, sparkles, bishies that dance in the most shameless of ways and lots and lots of fab??
Now, this season had one huge problem, and that was CECIL. He stole WAY too much screentime from the rest, and felt like a Marty Stu at times, having him shoved into every storyline they could, and everyone remarking how special and wonderful he's. Cecil is cute and all, yeah, but quartet night and especially haruka got neglected because of that, as the review mentions. And haruka was the um, protagonist.
I mean, I still love utapri and really, really loved 2000%, but it could have been even better. I hope that, if there's a season 3 (look at those sales, hot damn), they include all the stuff from the games they missed here.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:46 am Reply with quote
Everytime someone mentions Haruka's piss-colored eyes I remember Ren's song from season 1, which has the following line

Quote:
Those eyes sparkling more than the stars, I’m knocked out by them!

Pretty spot-on review and aligns with much of what I feel about the show, mostly my dissatisfaction with the underdevelopment of Tokiya and Quartet Night. I'd add that Cecil is incredibly annoying and his plot thingy about being a prince and having to renounce his crown is really stupid, even by this show's standards, but I loved me some shiny colorful men dancing homoerotically and singing embarrassingly cheesy songs. Wish there's a season three LOL
Loveyducky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I accept Utapri for its many fault, it may be overly cheesy and corny but its still fun to watch. Both the story plot and character development fall flat but its mainly the fanservice that attracts my attention . It also helps have a serious weak spot for bishies and shows that revolve around industries such as music, fashion and acting. I'm definitely buying Uta No Prince-sama when Sentai releases it Very Happy
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Utapri during the first season and was really disappointed when I got a little over half way through the 2nd one and there was hardly any focus on Tokiya. Given that he had more of a storyline in the first one, I was upset when Cecil had been focused on heavily and it got to the point where I dropped it around episode 9.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
i think this is one of the most successful anime this year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1