• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, July 15-21

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:26 am Reply with quote
Holy!! So Shingeki sold almost 60k BD+DVD combined!!! Isn't this like a new record for tv series?

GOOODDDD This is the kind of series that should sell this much and not....m*e. Jojo also pulled off amazing sales, Initial D selling good, Psycho-pass sold good. New Hajime no Ippo announced, New GITS! Yamato selling great....ah what is that, that beam of light I see at the distance of this dark dark dark tunnel....
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:56 am Reply with quote
Well done Titan. Also proud of Wreck it Ralph. Did over 34k in total combined. Why wouldn't Wreck it Ralph top the charts? It's an amazing movie and the best Disney movie since Tarzan. Love this movie and it's good to see that the Disney otaku are buying this. Very Happy
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:18 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Love this movie and it's good to see that the Disney otaku are buying this. Very Happy

Disney is popular in general in Japan so the sales are not surprising. I'd dare say Japanese people may love Disney more than Americans, or at least show their love more.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Holy!! So Shingeki sold almost 60k BD+DVD combined!!! Isn't this like a new record for tv series?

Not even close. Neon Genesis Evangelion holds that record with 111,000 sales per volume (it has even more including the re-release). Other shows that beat Attack on Titan are:

Bakemonogatari (78,000)
PMMM (71,000)
Gundam SEED Destiny (68,000)
Uta-Pri 2000% (first volume has sold 65,000 thus far)
Nisemonogatari (60,000)
Gundam SEED (58,000)
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote
The list will probably get a bit shorter unless Attack on WalletTitan drops off the chart immediately, though.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:36 am Reply with quote
You're probably right. Almost all series experience a drop between the first and subsequent volumes. Sometimes the drop is small, other times it is quite spectacular. Either way, the average for the entire show will almost always be lower than the sales of the first volume. The complicating factor here is that Attack on Titan's first volume has only been available for one week, so its sales figure of 56,000 will be higher as it ranks in subsequent weeks. Therefore if the first volume can reach say 65,000 the average over the entire show might still be higher than Gundam SEED's 58,000.

[You likely knew this already Polycell but I just wanted to speak generally so that others understand.]

That said, I believe the show on the list that Attack on Titan has the best chance of beating won't be Gundam SEED, it will instead probably be Uta-Pri 2000%. This is despite the latter's significantly higher sales thus far. Apparently Uta-Pri 2000% had big volume one sales due to the event ticket bundled with it. The show probably won't sustain anything like that level of sales over the entire run as many people who purchased the first volume refuse to buy subsequent ones because they already have the valuable event ticket.

So that's one, maybe two (or three including Nisemonogatari, though it would be a stretch and require big second and third weeks). But do I expect Attack on Titan to beat Gundam SEED Destiny, let alone Neon Genesis Evangelion? Hell no.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:43 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

Not even close. Neon Genesis Evangelion holds that record with 111,000 sales per volume (it has even more including the re-release). Other shows that beat Attack on Titan are:

Bakemonogatari (78,000)
PMMM (71,000)
Gundam SEED Destiny (68,000)
Uta-Pri 2000% (first volume has sold 65,000 thus far)
Nisemonogatari (60,000)
Gundam SEED (58,000)

Evangelion is a pretty terrible example, since its numbers are all messed up from being well before the current era of DVDs. Using it in these comparisons is not at all useful

As for the others, you are comparing a first volume to final series averages (other than UtaPri, of course). We'll see how long Shingeki's tail is, but I imagine it will gain a bit before dropping off. No matter what Shingeki will be up in the high-reaches along with all of those series though.

Also its worth noting that UtaPri's numbers are highly skewed due to being cheaper than normal and having a raffle ticket to attend an UtaPri live event. So expect a pretty massive dropoff for volumes 2+ (though its still a smashing success)

Anyway, I highly suggest anyone who is interested in tracking anime sales to read this thread over on the Mania forums, the curator knows more about JP disc sales and trends than basically anyone who is not actually in the industry.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:50 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Evangelion is a pretty terrible example, since its numbers are all messed up from being well before the current era of DVDs. Using it in these comparisons is not at all useful.

It still sold more per volume than any other show, unless you have actual proof that the episodes-per-volume count was wildly abnormal?

Fencedude5609 wrote:
As for the others, you are comparing a first volume to final series averages (other than UtaPri, of course). We'll see how long Shingeki's tail is, but I imagine it will gain a bit before dropping off. No matter what Shingeki will be up in the high-reaches along with all of those series though.

Well no kidding. It's like I hadn't just explained all that.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Also its worth noting that UtaPri's numbers are highly skewed due to being cheaper than normal and having a raffle ticket to attend an UtaPri live event. So expect a pretty massive dropoff for volumes 2+ (though its still a smashing success)

Again, no shit Sherlock.
andyseed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:51 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
You're probably right. Almost all series experience a drop between the first and subsequent volumes. Sometimes the drop is small, other times it is quite spectacular. Either way, the average for the entire show will almost always be lower than the sales of the first volume. The complicating factor here is that Attack on Titan's first volume has only been available for one week, so its sales figure of 56,000 will be higher as it ranks in subsequent weeks. Therefore if the first volume can reach say 65,000 the average over the entire show might still be higher than Gundam SEED's 58,000.

[You likely knew this already Polycell but I just wanted to speak generally so that others understand.]

That said, I believe the show on the list that Attack on Titan has the best chance of beating won't be Gundam SEED, it will instead probably be Uta-Pri 2000%. This is despite the latter's significantly higher sales thus far. Apparently Uta-Pri 2000% had big volume one sales due to the event ticket bundled with it. The show probably won't sustain anything like that level of sales over the entire run as many people who purchased the first volume refuse to buy subsequent ones because they already have the valuable event ticket.

So that's one, maybe two (or three including Nisemonogatari, though it would be a stretch and require big second and third weeks). But do I expect Attack on Titan to beat Gundam SEED Destiny, let alone Neon Genesis Evangelion? Hell no.

Both Seed series have really high averages , if i remember right Gundam Seed first vol went over a 100k .
Still i expect Attack on Titan to do really good ( even beat some really high ranking shows) the question is just how good .
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:56 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Evangelion is a pretty terrible example, since its numbers are all messed up from being well before the current era of DVDs. Using it in these comparisons is not at all useful.

It still sold more per volume than any other show, unless you have actual proof that the episodes-per-volume count was wildly abnormal?

Evangelion is pre-Oricon. You can't use its numbers and compare them to the numbers we have 2000+. Well you can, but its bad practice.

Evangelion sold a lot, but the comparison to modern releases is non-useful. I know you like to say its the Best Selling TV Anime Ever, but we honestly don't know if thats actually true or not. Oricon data is flawed, but its flawed in largely the same way across all releases, so it can be used for comparisons.

But remember, Oricon numbers will always be under-counted. There is no real way around this. Not all stores (such as, for example, KyoAni's in-house store) report their sales to Oricon, and once sales fall below a certain threshold they are no longer reported. This is much more of an issue for very low selling shows than high-selling ones, but even there you can see the effect.

But basically the point is that Evangelions 111k number and Bakemono's 78k number aren't directly comparable. To do so is bad practice and deceptive.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
They sure do love that Sugar Rush movie. It should have been called that internationally, since the film was more about that than it was Ralph wrecking.
Chocolate_Bar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Uhhhh....no? Rolling Eyes

Fencedude5609 wrote:

Except for the fact that stalker points for the succeeding volumes have a significant drop by 37% and always the off chance that those numbers could be overestimating like it did with the first volume. So don't count your chickens before they hatch, kid.
Fencedude5609 wrote:

AoT was also skewed since it was cheaper and came with the prototype manga bundle for the first volume.
SonDavid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Regardless... The fact that we are even commenting on it means that AoT is, if it wasn't clear before, THE hit series.

I remember the director or producer (Can't remember who it was) saying "they were discussing whether or not to continue the series"....

Well, I guess they have their answer now...

NO FILLERS, wait for enough material on the manga to make season 2!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Chocolate_Bar wrote:
AoT was also skewed since it was cheaper and came with the prototype manga bundle for the first volume.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how Vol. 2 does because of that.

SonDavid wrote:
Regardless... The fact that we are even commenting on it means that AoT is, if it wasn't clear before, THE hit series.

Of the Spring. It's done well for itself, but it's not the only hit series.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
SonDavid wrote:

Of the Spring. It's done well for itself, but it's not the only hit series.

It looks to be about even with UtaPri 2000% thus far, so I don't think one can even say it's 'the hit' of spring season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2