• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Tiger Tiger Burning Bright

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ani12

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
I REALLY hope someone picks Kanoko back up.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
ani12 wrote:

Seconded. And the sequel Koi Dano Ai Dano.
corinthian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
ani12 wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded. It was a really fun series, and it's unfinished status is all the more bothersome having learned there was only one volume left. I'm sure it could all be shoved into an omnibus edition if some company decided it's more diamond than rough.
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty razzle-dazzled by Utsubora! It's reeeally obtuse, but the characters and situations are so striking that I just can't stop thinking about them and trying to figure them out. I'd love to hear other people's interpretations!
blackmokona

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:26 am Reply with quote
Huh, I thought Kanoko was badly paced and extremely unsubtle. Every time the first chapter goes for a close-up, and it goes for many many close-ups, there's an exaggerated facial expression and wind in the character's hair. It also belabors the point that Kanoko is an observer when it could give readers some air to breathe because it's also very, very rushed.

The rest of chapter one is made up of tired character beats--I didn't buy Kanoko's grinning faces at all but maybe that's because I find class gossip mundane, but then if she could cut through the bullshit as well as the manga claims then I don't think she would be beside herself with glee at the prospect of petty class drama either.

There is also the complete lack of chemistry between Kanoko and the dark haired guy, and considering Inuyasha was 15-20 years ago and IMHO wrote the book on romantic-antagonistic it's disappointing that this fails so hard.
ani12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
blackmokona wrote:
Huh, I thought Kanoko was badly paced and extremely unsubtle. Every time the first chapter goes for a close-up, and it goes for many many close-ups, there's an exaggerated facial expression and wind in the character's hair. It also belabors the point that Kanoko is an observer when it could give readers some air to breathe because it's also very, very rushed.

The rest of chapter one is made up of tired character beats--I didn't buy Kanoko's grinning faces at all but maybe that's because I find class gossip mundane, but then if she could cut through the bullshit as well as the manga claims then I don't think she would be beside herself with glee at the prospect of petty class drama either.

There is also the complete lack of chemistry between Kanoko and the dark haired guy, and considering Inuyasha was 15-20 years ago and IMHO wrote the book on romantic-antagonistic it's disappointing that this fails so hard.

Well, I think they said the first chapter was intended to be a one shot and then it got expanded.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1