• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gedo Senki: 5 Weeks at #1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:44 am Reply with quote
Go GEDO SENKI!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Surprised Surprised

As much as I do like 'Miyazaki's stuff times do change and I'm glad that Goro managed to pull through on this project. After all 'Miyazaki' can't be around forever. Times change and so doesn't the handling of projects. You either like it or you don't. But you can't always judge it by previous works. It's unfair. I hope that somone picks it up so that it can be viewed here.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Damn! 5 weeks? I hope that tells people the potential for GOro Miyazaki. He's not his dad, but he can pull stuff off when it counts.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
It's unfair. I hope that somone picks it up so that it can be viewed here.

If you read the previous news peice, you will find out it will be awhile yet to make it here.

fighterholic wrote:
Damn! 5 weeks? I hope that tells people the potential for GOro Miyazaki. He's not his dad, but he can pull stuff off when it counts.

Well I would actually be surprized if Miami Vice beat Gend Senki, but that aside, I am glad Goro is still going strong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Well I would actually be surprized if Miami Vice beat Gend Senki, but that aside, I am glad Goro is still going strong.

Staying power of a new director or the staying power of studio Ghibli?

So it appears that Gedo Senki isn't a terrible film, I mean there have been bad films debut at number one but they hardly ever manage to stay longer then a single week....
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:39 pm Reply with quote
anyone know the total gross so far?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

The following was found on Online Ghibli

Quote:
Gedo Senki (Tales from Earthsea) hit Japanese theaters on Saturday, July 29th. Madman Entertainment reports that, during the two-day frame of July 29-30, it topped the Japanese box office by grossing 905,335,600 yen from 435 screens. Toho, the film's distributor, expects the film to finish with a gross of about 10 billion yen.

So according to my friend (yahoo) that would be
Quote:
10 billion Japanese yen = 85.9328005 million U.S. dollar

So by america standards that would make this film a decent gross, considering that 100 million dollar mark is the number to be over and beyond.
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:06 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Gedo's total = $56.6 million, according to boxofficemojo.

Surprisingly, Pirates has a total of $77.2 million even though Gedo has been beating it since Pirates' 2nd week.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, since the general consensus I've seen from people who're there who've been able to see it and critics is that it was a pretty poor film. But, Howl's did well so who knows anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:07 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Interesting, since the general consensus I've seen from people who're there who've been able to see it and critics is that it was a pretty poor film.

Poor filmmaking has never really been a very big hindrance to making loads of cash; in fact, the two sometimes go hand in hand (more often than I'd like). I've said it before, but I'm going to refrain from any mindless praising or "Hooray for Goro!" until I've actually seen the film for myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:29 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Poor filmmaking has never really been a very big hindrance to making loads of cash; in fact, the two sometimes go hand in hand (more often than I'd like). I've said it before, but I'm going to refrain from any mindless praising or "Hooray for Goro!" until I've actually seen the film for myself.
True, but we shouldn't start jumping on him and starting beating him up even before we see the film, no?

I'll withhold any judgement until then.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
Well, here's a review from Venice courtesy of Anime News Service (contains spoilers). It actually came off better than Paprika did (contains spoilers). Here's a more blunt review of Paprika (contains spoilers).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1