• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's The Wind Rises to Open in U.S. in February With Dub & Subs

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Great news! I'll probably watch it dubbed so I can watch it with some less-otaku friends
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'll try to catch the L.A. November screening, even though I'm not fond of driving to the Landmark, and it's possible most of the shows could be sold out.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I would like to watch this subbed
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Last time a Miyazaki film came out over here (Ponyo) Disney didn't really do much to get it in the running for the Oscars. It wasn't even nominated, which I did consider a shame. It would not have had a chance even with a strong marketing push though, with Up being an absolute LOCK on the award (and deservedly so) and with the fact that it's considered by many to be one of Miyazaki's weaker films.

But this year I think Disney can really push for a nomination and very possibly win. It's Miyazaki's swan song, and Disney doesn't have any of their own massive critical darlings in the running like they have before (Monsters University was great, but it's far, far from a lock, and although Frozen sounds fun I don't anticipate it being one either), so I think they might be more willing to really gun for it.

Anyway, I'm super excited to see it!
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, can't wait to hear the announcement for the dub cast. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
kaze: I liked Ponyo, but Miyazaki's already got his with Spirited Away. The only thing left is to give him one of those honorary Oscars. Otherwise, having him go at it again is unfair to the competition. It's like when Di$ney, Suxar and Derativeworks rig the Best Animated Film awards in their favor with sequels, and then shut out indie animators in the shorts categories. So, I'm rooting for Momo, because it's better than Wolf Children. And I'm hoping Kick-Heart being handled by someone who isn't clueless at promoting anime at awards shows will help.
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
kaze: I liked Ponyo, but Miyazaki's already got his with Spirited Away. The only thing left is to give him one of those honorary Oscars. Otherwise, having him go at it again is unfair to the competition. It's like when Di$ney, Suxar and Derativeworks rig the Best Animated Film awards in their favor with sequels, and then shut out indie animators in the shorts categories. So, I'm rooting for Momo, because it's better than Wolf Children. And I'm hoping Kick-Heart being handled by someone who isn't clueless at promoting anime at awards shows will help.

Except they have never done this in the history of the Best Animated Feature award. That said, Miyazaki would stand a great chance this year because most of the animated films this year have been mediocre IP continuations or just not very good in general. When the best animated movie of the year is "Monsters University", that's the kind of year animation is having overall >_>
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
But this year I think Disney can really push for a nomination and very possibly win. It's Miyazaki's swan song, and Disney doesn't have any of their own massive critical darlings in the running like they have before (Monsters University was great, but it's far, far from a lock, and although Frozen sounds fun I don't anticipate it being one either), so I think they might be more willing to really gun for it.

Anyway, I'm super excited to see it!

Having seen it myself, it's not the kind of film that would appeal to a wide audience. I absolutely loved it, but the film itself doesn't have a real direction or complete message behind it like his other films. That makes its finer moments stand out to me, but I don't see this being award-winning material. Especially in Japanese, with Anno's atrocious voice acting. Anime hyper

Still, having it at least nominated would be nice.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
Splitter:
Quote:
Except they have never done this in the history of the Best Animated Feature award.

So how many years did we not get a Disney, Pixar or DWA pic in the nominee slot, again? And while you could argue Wallace and Gromitt: Curse of the Were-Rabbit is an Aardman pic, guess who distributed it? I'll concede that the shorts category was a little more egalitarian to small-timers; but did Di$ney really need both Brave and Paperman to win that year?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
No, and Brave shouldn't have won regardless. Frankenweenie and ParaNorman were both stronger films, and both stop motion puppetry to boot.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:07 am Reply with quote
walw: Not to mention that Otomo's Combustible was robbed of a Best Animated Short nom.
musashi1600

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:46 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'll try to catch the L.A. November screening, even though I'm not fond of driving to the Landmark, and it's possible most of the shows could be sold out.

And if you don't want to wait until November, you could buy a plane ticket to Honolulu and watch it in about a month. Twisted Evil
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am Reply with quote
Brave did deserve its win, but that's a discussion for another day. Perception by many of that specific film is... problematic, to say the least.

That being said Gatsu sounds like one of those weeaboos that refuses to acknowledge that anyone but Wonderland Japan can make quality animated films.

You accused those three companies of pushing sequels into victory but only one sequel has ever even won the best animated feature Oscar, and that was Toy Story 3.

On to short films, Pixar has won three times (but the first time was in 1988 when they were an indie company), Dreamworks has never won, and Disney won last year yes, but after a drought of no wins spanning back to 1969. Small company and independent shorts win almost every year.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:

But this year I think Disney can really push for a nomination and very possibly win.

If it gets past the nomination committee it will be a first. A large number of anime that were not kids' films have been submitted in the past and none have made it on the ballot.

Miyazaki just may, hopefully it helps expand the diversity on what has been kids' feature dominated.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:21 am Reply with quote
Regarding last year's mainstream animated films, Wreck It Ralph has gained in stature since its theatrical release and Brave's has diminished considerably. I personally think Brave was just mediocre, but then again, Pixar's been kind of stale since Toy Story 3. And even Toy Story 3 reused a lot of tired Pixar elements, enjoyable still as it was.

Time usually tells how much a film really deserved its win. A lot of people thought Dances With Wolves really was the best picture back in 1991. Who talks about that film with the same esteem now? Very few. Certainly not on the same level as Goodfellas, which is referenced positively very frequently today.

Still, opinions are opinions. I happen to think Ponyo is a top 3 Miyazaki film (SHOCK) but I have to settle for the fact that a film's stature and reputation is decided largely democratically and I'm simply in the minority. With this in mind, I would say that Brave did not deserve to win, no matter how much a few people today still think it did.

If The Wind Rises is considered a good enough film, it may be able to beat the weak competition. If it gets less than 80% positive reviews, it could muddy the waters a bit. I don't think sentimentality will play a role. Many great directors and actors/actresses did not get awards for their swan songs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4