• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III vs. Detective Conan The Movie's Full Trailer Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:14 am Reply with quote
It looks like a generic Lupin III TV special and a generic Conan theatrical movie had a baby.

An insult to both franchises.

And as a big Lupin fan, it's sad that even the latest TV series looks like it had a bigger production budget than this theatrical feature.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
I, for one, love the animation on it. It's a shame I'll never get into Conan, though, 'cus it's too long for me to commit to.
E-Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It looks like a generic Lupin III TV special and a generic Conan theatrical movie had a baby.

An insult to both franchises.

And as a big Lupin fan, it's sad that even the latest TV series looks like it had a bigger production budget than this theatrical feature.

Kinda jumping the gun there aren't we? At least wait until the movie is officially released and then we can all point out the pros and cons the movie has in it.

The trailer in my opinion looks cool, it appears to offer a lot more than what was offered in the past TV special. I did enjoyed the TV special and felt it should be ranked as one of the better Lupin III TV specials in recent years. But as I noted before we should wait till it's released and then we can officially give out an opinion.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:20 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Actor Seiyō Uchino (Jin)... join the cast as as "Alan Smithee" (a mysterious man whose true identity is unknown)

Really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_smithee

• Alan Smithee (also Allen Smithee) was an official pseudonym used by film directors who wish to disown a project, coined in 1968. Until its use was formally discontinued in 2000,[1] it was the sole pseudonym used by members of the Directors Guild of America (DGA) when a director, dissatisfied with the final product, proved to the satisfaction of a guild panel that he or she had not been able to exercise creative control over a film. The director was also required by guild rules not to discuss the circumstances leading to the move or even to acknowledge being the actual director.[2]
EastN3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:56 am Reply with quote
I'm a huge Lupin III fan, so I'm definitely seeing this. But I agree, it does look like the usual special. Not sure why they can't make one as good as Mamo again. Plus Conan annoys the crap out of me.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
I'm not a enthusiast for either series (more of a casual fan) but I will be seeing this for the heck of it. I can see how this can go wrong though, trying to jam as many characters as you can into a 90 minute film doesn't always work out.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I actually thought the Lupin/Conan special was pretty good. It wasn't everything I would want a crossover between the two franchises to be, but it was pretty good at balancing out it's aspects of both. I for one am looking forward to this.

And as far as the Fujiko Mine series goes, it does have nicer animation in the long run, but it also has a more bizarre style all around. Sure, it's closer to the manga in that regard - but I find myself more a fan of the usual anime designs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
E-Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Its been a while since Lupin had a theatrical movie, so I'm excited that they are making a new one for the first time in 17 years. Not to mention this will be the new Lupin cast's first time doing their character voices for a Lupin theatrical movie.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
Its been a while since Lupin had a theatrical movie, so I'm excited that they are making a new one for the first time in 17 years.

Yeah, 17 years later and this is the best they can do? The last theatrical film, Dead or Alive, looked better than this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
E-Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
E-Master wrote:
Its been a while since Lupin had a theatrical movie, so I'm excited that they are making a new one for the first time in 17 years.

Yeah, 17 years later and this is the best they can do? The last theatrical film, Dead or Alive, looked better than this.

But it does look better than Gold of Babylon.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
E-Master wrote:

But it does look better than Gold of Babylon.

Almost everything looks better than Gold of Babylon.
E-Master

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:31 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Almost everything looks better than Gold of Babylon.

Now that comment is something I can agree with.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Dead or Alive 'looks' better, maybe. But seeing as how that was a lesser note in the franchise IMO, even if it did have Monkey Punch working on it...chances are this film is still more my speed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know "terrible" was a speed. Seriously, this looks like a TV special. They couldn't even bother giving it a theatrical film budget?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Gyt: Dead or Alive is pretty good. It's just not done as a "typical" Lupin special.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2