• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Steins;Gate Fuka Ryōiki no Déjà vu (movie).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote

Steins;Gate Fuka Ryōiki no Déjà vu

Genres: drama, psychological, romance, science fiction
Themes: time travel

Plot Summary: Kurisu has returned to Akihabara after a year in America, and although she and Okabe have a somewhat romantic reunion, their time together does not last long. Okabe begins to have images of other timelines, and ultimately disappears from everyone's sights and memories. Kurisu must fight against her own heart to decide whether to follow the path of a scientist and follow Okabe's words to not go back in time to get him back, or let her emotions drive her to save her most precious person, no matter what dangerous effects it may have on the world.

Great movie overall.

It takes place after the original series so I highly recommend watching Steins;Gate before giving this movie a try.

Okabe and his moments were fun to watch. spoiler[There were some flashbacks/scenes where Okabe reminiscences including scenes of Suzuna. Great stuff though, the Kurisu and Okabe moments were the best in this imo especially during their story talk]. The OST fits perfectly. The Mayuri moments were great too.

For Kurisu fans, there's also cool poses like this: http://i.imgur.com/xh9E4pZ.png.
spoiler[The kiss felt a bit short... imo (at least compared to episode 22 of S;G anyways) but the feelings of the bus stop scene was decent. There were some confusion I got regarding Okabe phasing in and out of existence but this was definitely a good wrap up for Steins;Gate.]

EL PSY CONGROO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching it - probably the worst fansub I've ever seen (so bad that it got utterly distracting at times), but I wasn't willing to wait any longer. Will definitely rewatch this officially subbed as soon as I can get my hands on it.

Well, I think if you liked the show, you might like the movie as well. Since I absolutely adored Steins;Gate, I really enjoyed the film. It's nothing revolutionary or anything, but it gets the characters and feel of the show just right. Made me remember how much I loved these guys - I felt like hugging them all the time, like I did during the show. Okarin especially, although he gets less screen time than in the series.

My main point of criticism would be the never ending inner monologuing/voice over, which isn't something I'm a fan of. Although it might have been extra annoying because of the sub quality, I admit.

I don't know if someone not familiar with the series or VN will enjoy this movie, as it kind of expects you to know the characters and be familiar with their routines/key moments and does not bother with being all that accessible to new viewers, which is fine by me.

This was a rather sentimental, relatively quiet movie, which was the right choice to wrap up the story, I believe. Or, since the series had a very nice ending and didn't need any wrapping up in the first place, it's rather a sweet bonus, maybe. The overall message was very sweet and poetic.
Killaclown666

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
perfect timing to hear of this I just finished the show yesterday, im still confused about the spoiler[shadows talking to each other ] part but I guess that happens when you multi-task while you watch this kind of show.

Loved the show so ill be giving this a shot
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I liked it overall. However, since the series ended so perfectly, the plot for the movie felt out of place.

One of my favorite parts of the original Steins;Gate story was that there was virtually no artificial consequence in place for abusing time travel infinitely; there was no "Faustian Bargain" to speak of and thus, Okabe used it as much as he could. It mirrors reality in that there's no penalty in using such power other than the consequences of using the power itself, which he experienced plenty of. Take for example, nuclear power. That power can do many great things, but also can be used to destroy everything. The choice is up to us. There's no deity telling us that it'll cost our soul, or that something bad will inevitably happen. It also brings up interesting ideas of repetition. With nothing holding you back, would you do what he did before going completely insane?

The movie kinda flew in the face of what I liked about S;G since apparently, such a negative feedback exists. But in the end, it was a touching story and that's probably what they were going for. I liked that spoiler[at least one person (Kurisu) got the slightest hint of what Okabe went through, and how utterly insane it was to be caught in the time travel mess. It really did well at highlighting his heroism and relentless determination.]
Noctis313

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping to watch a film as great as the anime and, in the end, it was very disappointing. So much drama and so little action Sad
They could have easily reduced the plot of this movie to an OVA ( just like Mirai Nikki) if they had quickly shown the problem with okarin disappearing as well as kurisu going back to the past and creating an impactful memory to save him.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Noctis313 wrote:
I was hoping to watch a film as great as the anime and, in the end, it was very disappointing. So much drama and so little action Sad
They could have easily reduced the plot of this movie to an OVA ( just like Mirai Nikki) if they had quickly shown the problem with okarin disappearing as well as kurisu going back to the past and creating an impactful memory to save him.

But that was the point, the whole movie was about Kurisu becoming the "observer" and taking Okabe's place as the one person who could change the flow of time.

It didn't need to be action packed, it just needed to show that Kurisu could take on the role Okabe did because she had such a strong connection to Okabe and would be able to do what was needed to save him.

I honestly feel like people who have been saying the movie was meh or not like the t.v series are missing the point of what the movie was meant to do.

It's to show that Okabe is not alone, that Kurisu can follow him like he has followed her. That their pain will be shared and that no matter what happens one of them will go rushing after the other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1