• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - The Hardest Walk

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Last Guardian, where the hell are you dammit!! Between the formerly titled Versus XIII and Last Guardian they were the only two games that were expected. But it seems that Versus XIII is actually happening in the guise of FFXV. But Last Guardian is still this beautiful mystery that if it happens will probably end up on PS4.
king 47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I agree, I really like the Last Story, but the story wrapped up very well. A sequel or a prequel would need to be very smart about the story. I would like a new game with similar but more refined gameplay.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
News: I'm especially looking forward to Kirby Triple Deluxe. Still, I'd love for HAL to give him an RPG some day in the future. I mean, if Mario can handle the genre with the mega success he's had, Kirby would definitely capture it with his ability to go to other planets as well as his numerous copy powers & allies.

X looks pretty slick with its giant robots; I guess it's Xenogears meets Xenoblade in that sense.

And you know, there has literally been no further word on Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem. I think with all the new Persona games coming up, especially Persona 5, Atlus probably doesn't have it on their schedule to update their little crossover with Nintendo for the time being.

Missing in Action: I still have my Wii. I should give Last Story a try. I've heard lots of good things about it and since Xenoblade looks to be impossible to find at a rational price, it'll give my poor system something to do other than play classic games.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I've been all excited about Azran Legacy since Valentine's Day, when I received a card containing a note that I would be getting a copy as soon as it was out. I have the best SO. Smile

Now, what's become of Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney...?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
king 47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

And you know, there has literally been no further word on Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem. I think with all the new Persona games coming up, especially Persona 5, Atlus probably doesn't have it on their schedule to update their little crossover with Nintendo for the time being.

Missing in Action: I still have my Wii. I should give Last Story a try. I've heard lots of good things about it and since Xenoblade looks to be impossible to find at a rational price, it'll give my poor system something to do other than play classic games.

SMTxFE is developed by IS not Atlus, there is likely not much to worry there. Especially with Sega and Nintendo's relationship being a good one now.

The Last story is fun, and it's cheap now. I got Xenoblade two weeks ago for $55 from GameStop used. It was actually new, but they said it was used so that they can sell it at a high price. The Club Nintendo code was not even redeemed. Good luck.

Last edited by king 47 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I wish Ikaruga would come out on PSN. It's my favourite shooter ever, even though I totally suck at it.

I also wish they had had more copies of the ToS: Chronicles Collector's Edition for pre-order. It's going for over twice the price on ebay right now. Frig that.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I quite liked The Last Story. Really good game with a cool battle system and awesome character designs. Though the game does run like crap which is kind of a big weakness. It also graphically looks bad.

A sequel would be fine, not like it would have to be a story sequel.

That said I don't know why Mistwalker's next game would have to be on a Nintendo Platform. They can work with any company and besides they aren't a normal developer. They don't completely make the actual game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
king 47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I quite liked The Last Story. Really good game with a cool battle system and awesome character designs. Though the game does run like crap which is kind of a big weakness. It also graphically looks bad.

That said I don't know why Mistwalker's next game would have to be on a Nintendo Platform. They can work with any company and besides they aren't a normal developer. They don't completely make the actual game.

We get it, you don't like Nintendo.
Nintendo is willing to financially support some Japanese developers, like they did with this and Bayo2, that is why they would be on Nintnedo's systems. Though I don't know about Mistwalker's next game.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:
SMTxFE is developed by IS not Atlus, there is likely not much to worry there. Especially with Sega and Nintendo's relationship being a good one now.

Atlus and Intelligent Systems are both listed as developers for it actually.
king 47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
king 47 wrote:

Atlus and Intelligent Systems are both listed as developers for it actually.

Yes, but it's mostly on IS. Though I hope the Index issues didn't hinder the development of the game.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

We get it, you don't like Nintendo.
Nintendo is willing to financially support some Japanese developers, like they did with this and Bayo2, that is why they would be on Nintnedo's systems. Though I don't know about Mistwalker's next game.
You're just describing what a publisher does. Anyone can publish and fund a Mistwalker game. Before Nintendo it was MS. AQ themselves are somewhat of a publisher. The only reason it was speculated that they would be on a Nintendo system was because thier last game was. The game Nintendo of America couldn't even be bothered to release in the west.

Either way they could easily be doing nothing. Mistwalker isn't an actual developer. They come up with the ideas and do general managing while other groups do the grunt work or even handle more specific parts of game design.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Pleinair92

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
That thing about Little Mac and Samus: sure it's not more alarming than WFT beating up Mario, Link, and Kirby for not performing an exercise correctly?
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I've had The Last Guardian pre-ordered since 2009. That's depressing, but at least we're not in Duke Nukem Forever territory yet.
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I never really got what was extra-special about The Last Story aside from the battle system. Maybe I didn't play far enough to where the story wasn't a palette of cliches cascading onto the player. Hell, the game starts with a princess escaping a castle in disguise and the main character runs into a character on the street who just happens to be the princess. I enjoyed what I played, but aside from the little details when you're farting around town (Smacking your face on store signs, making random passer-bys slip on band peels, etc.), it didn't stand out to me.

I'm even a sucker for even the worst of Uematsu and the score was mostly bland synth orchestra.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anyone will argue that the story of TLS is something great. No it's simplicity is what makes it enjoyable. While some of the Outsider stuff brings the story into "out there" areas, the game is still mostly about some cool knights' camaraderie. While none of the characters are original, thier "types" are well done and jive well with all the characters. So it makes the cast somewhat enduring. Plus they all are "cool" and the party lacks kids or other annoying jrpg cliches. So that helps. Since it's such a simple story of a young guy and his friends wanting to be heroes it really never loses it's crap and craps the bed. It stays on focus and has a nice and heartfelt twist at the end.

Nothing great, but it's competent. Which for jrpg these days is pretty nice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2