• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Short Peace From Akira's Katsuhiro Otomo

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Now this makes me happy. Very Happy

Mark Gosdin
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Hoping Toronto is one of the places that will get this on the big screen. If it does, I'm there.

eta: just checked out the Eleven Arts website and the early screenings on March 3 are going to be in 13 US cities. Check out this link:

http://www.elevenarts.net/th_gallery/shortpeace/

There will be a wider release in April and I think Toronto will be included in that.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Extremely pleasant surprise. Say what one will about Sentai's rapid-fire licensing practices or sometimes questionable BD quality, they've done a whole lot in letting the more auteur-minded series/films shine on U.S. shores. Sentai's diversity definitely fills an avant-garde-ish void that FUNI has left open, what with FUNI mostly focused on long-running shonen, boob shows, or the occasional mainstream-friendly anime that's also of well-regarded quality (Hellsing Ultimate, Akira, Attack on Titan, Psycho-Pass, etc...).

This makes me wonder about the other Otomo-produced compilation film, Memories, and the prospects of that getting a BD release. Sony Pictures released that on DVD 10(!) years ago. Does Sony still hold the rights to that? Ugh, what a annoyance...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
S127

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Glad I held off from importing this and hoping for a great PQ with the best audio available for the Japanese track.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hoping Toronto is one of the places that will get this on the big screen. If it does, I'm there.

eta: just checked out the Eleven Arts website and the early screenings on March 3 are going to be in 13 US cities. Check out this link:

http://www.elevenarts.net/th_gallery/shortpeace/

There will be a wider release in April and I think Toronto will be included in that.
Two releases in the tiny state of HI?
Quote:
This makes me wonder about the other Otomo-produced compilation film, Memories, and the prospects of that getting a BD release.
I hope this happens.

I'm interested in details about the dub for these.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Animerican: Sentai picked it up, because Namdai is currently run by morons, and because of the Oscar clout. But I too agree that I hope this will convince them to finally give us Robot Carnival on R1 DVD. And maybe Neo Tokyo on Blu-Ray.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:45 am Reply with quote
Psyched for this getting a theatrical release, and happy that Eleven Arts and similar distributors have made this a regular occurrence for anime films in the US.

The purchasing format has me a little puzzled, though, and leaves me with a lot of unanswered questions. Will the PSN editions of the shorts released by Namco Bandai use the same subtitles as the Sentai DVD/BR release? Will they be bilingual? Will the DVD/BR have special features that will be excluded from the PSN version? Will it be possible to purchase Ranko Tsukigime as a stand-alone game? Are there in-game bonuses for purchasing it in along with the other segments? Is there any possibility for a future BR release that contains both the movies and the game?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:33 am Reply with quote
gatotsu: I have a feeling the game is going to be exclusive to the PSN, unless Sentai is able to do anything about it. Most likely, though, they picked up what was shown in theaters in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1