• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gargantia Anime Sequel to Be 2-Volume Video Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Well it's not like the previous announcement said, "second season" when you stop and think about it.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Kind of disappointing, but an OVA is better than nothing.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
Now what could it possibly be about?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
I think too many reports make you think "sequel" automatically equates to "12/13 more episodes", but nothing's wrong with a good old-fashioned high budget OVA. That's how many anime were either started or completed through the 80s and 90s. And since I really miss the OVA as major format, I kind of prefer seeing more of them to new TV series.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:04 am Reply with quote
Hopefully they are not going to be a bath house or beach OVA's.
Rosalena

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
This revelation is a bit disappointing. I was truly hoping for a proper second season.
DigitalFowl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
I was expecting a full cour run for the sequel, but I see I was extremely foolish in assuming that.

Very disappointing news, especially if the end product doesn't deliver properly. The world still had a lot of potential to grow and expand and provide a whole second season's worth of content and to now know that it's merely going to be OVA's, I'm not hopeful.

I guess much like expecting a third season of Valvrave and instead getting a 3 minute epilogue that attempts to wrap up another 2-3 episodes worth of content, I need to stop expecting more out of Aniplex and its various productions.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:00 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I think too many reports make you think "sequel" automatically equates to "12/13 more episodes", but nothing's wrong with a good old-fashioned high budget OVA. That's how many anime were either started or completed through the 80s and 90s. And since I really miss the OVA as major format, I kind of prefer seeing more of them to new TV series.

I am not sure about a show of the nature of Gargantia, but generally an ova in this day and age means a fan service episode with no plot, so I won't be expecting too much here.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I am not sure about a show of the nature of Gargantia, but generally an ova in this day and age means a fan service episode with no plot, so I won't be expecting too much here.

Gargantia has already had two OVAs, both of which contained significant backstory that really helped flesh some things out, so I think it's safe to say that these will be plot-based.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:43 am Reply with quote
Rosalena wrote:
This revelation is a bit disappointing. I was truly hoping for a proper second season.

Yeah, hopefully these OVAs are good but I was hoping for a real second season too.
jet_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:03 am Reply with quote
I wish they'd announce a prequel to expand on the history of the Earth. The footage that was shown in episode 9 got me really craving for one.

Also, the website is updated with a new key visual and the character page is also updated.

The two OVAs takes place half a year after the TV series:
Ledo is working as a salvage pilot for Bellows on Gargantia.
The new girl came from the fleet that Kugel reigned over.
She is Amy's junior working as a messenger.
Source.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
jet_ wrote:
I wish they'd announce a prequel to expand on the history of the Earth. The footage that was shown in episode 9 got me really craving for one.

Also, the website is updated with a new key visual and the character page is also updated.

Source.

Wait is that Chamber in that new Key Visual in the upper left?

Here's hoping Sugita-bot is back!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
I think that another one cour season would have worked if the producers had opened up the world of Gargantia. The downside with that is that it could have become too chaotic and confusing if it was not handled right.

I would have preferred 12-13 episodes with the hope that they were going to be well written, but I will take the two OVA's. This seems like a safer approach to build on top of a first season that already had a pretty good ending.

I hope each OVA is between 50-60 minutes long and Bandai Visual subs the Japanese BD's, like they did for the first season.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
jet_ wrote:

Source.

The new girl's name is Riima which my auto-translate is changing to Reamer. Which is hilarious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I guess this means we won't be learning any more about Ledo's militaristic background or the community he left behind in outer space. I was really interested in how their society worked (was the woman in Ledo's memories his mother? Etc.)

But I also ship Ledo/Amy, so just seeing more of their developing relationship will be fun. Unless they do something stupid, like a forced love triangle with the new girl.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1