• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 Lyrical Nanoha TV Anime Get Their 1st Blu-rays

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
Now if only Nanoha was licensed in the US. :/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChihiroFujisaki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:36 am Reply with quote
I thought the first two seasons were brought over here before? Don't know if anyone has them now, though. What I'd do for a Blu-Ray set of A's...
bhl88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
The question: Is it subtitled?

I'm planning to grab a copy.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
Looks like it's time for someone in the US to re-evaluate re-releasing this series... hopefully. Smile
pcj

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:57 am Reply with quote
The first two seasons were dubbed and released in the US, I have them.

They also suck (well, season 1 does, A's wasn't too bad). I wouldn't argue in the least if someone wanted to do them over.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:12 am Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
Looks like it's time for someone in the US to re-evaluate re-releasing this series... hopefully. Smile
According to Justin (in a semi-recent ANNCast) though, 4:3 anime isn't really salable anymore. And the two seasons that most people actually like were made in 4:3. So even if the Blu-Rays don't get Q-Tec'd to death in the upscaling process, they've still got a large hurdle to overcome.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:36 am Reply with quote
The first two seasons were released in English by Geneon, who have since gone out of business.

The movie versions of the first two seasons have English subtitles on the Japanese releases (which are also region-free), so you could import those.

I hope they include English subtitles again for the TV versions on BD, or alternatively that there will be an English subtitled movie version of the third season.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:43 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
FlamingFirewire wrote:

According to Justin (in a semi-recent ANNCast) though, 4:3 anime isn't really salable anymore. And the two seasons that most people actually like were made in 4:3. So even if the Blu-Rays don't get Q-Tec'd to death in the upscaling process, they've still got a large hurdle to overcome.

Reminds me of those people who don't like black bars on their TV. Laughing
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:
The question: Is it subtitled?

When I read the title on the main page, I was hoping the article would state all 3 would include English subtitles.

Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case. A Blu-ray version version of StrikerS (which was widescreen) with English subtitles would have been great.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:10 am Reply with quote
Sentai Filmworks, you hear that? Nanoha series (all 3 of 'em) are getting blu-rays. It's time you'll need to grab 'em before others has a chance to license 'em (especially StrikerS and movies).
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:45 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Sentai Filmworks, you hear that? Nanoha series (all 3 of 'em) are getting blu-rays. It's time you'll need to grab 'em before others has a chance to license 'em (especially StrikerS and movies).

The movies blu-rays have subtitles. Just buy em from Japan.
neonie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:10 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
FlamingFirewire wrote:

Don't you think they'll remaster them? I can't see them releasing BD's for this series without a remaster into 16:9 and updated animation, otherwise what would even be the point of doing this? It would just look like an awful upscale of animation that was drawn in 2004.

Also all three seasons of that series were good.
ChihiroFujisaki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
Eh, season one was fun, and I wasn't a huge fan of season three. It was okay. Season two was legitimately great, though.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Heading out of town today, but I'm selling my Nanoha sets as soon as I get back. I'll set away the cash for StrikerS.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
neonie wrote:

Don't you think they'll remaster them? I can't see them releasing BD's for this series without a remaster into 16:9 and updated animation, otherwise what would even be the point of doing this? It would just look like an awful upscale of animation that was drawn in 2004.

When remastering 4:3 anime into 16:9 the choices in order of likelihood are:

1. Crop. Cheap & easy, but you are losing part of the image, and actually having to upscale more.

2. Add to the existing image. Not as expensive as the next step, especially if the side panels would primarily be static imagery.

3. Create new animation. The best solution visually, but do too much of this and the only savings over a new anime is being able to re-use the same audio.

4. Stretch. As cheap as #1, but the worst thing that can be done visually. You might be able to get away with it in some scenes, especially if intelligent non-linear stretching is used, but anyway you slice it, this is a half-assed approach.

Thankfully, StrikerS won't have this issue as it was already widescreen.

As to upscaling, which do you think can have a better result: Playing a DVD in a DVD or Blu-ray player and depending on its inexpensive real-time scaler, or a studio scaler that isn't required to work in real-time or in a linear fashion, and whose results can be further tweaked manually?

It comes down to how much time and effort is put into the upscale process by the company handling it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3