Forum - View topic
The Spring 2014 Anime Preview Guide


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RestLessone



Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 1425
Location: New York
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
So I need to watch Captain Earth still, but I've caught the first episodes of Jojo and Haikyu. I didn't even know that there were many Jojos when I started watching Stardust, but I think I'm in love with this series already. Must go and watch the first arcs.

I also like Haikyu. The main trope twist, of course, is that the rival characters end up on the same team. Most series don't do that; you have your main team/character and then the rival team/character (sometimes a frenemy, sometimes a massive jerk) who they will eventually face. Granted, we'll probably get one at some point. Anyway, I'm happy here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8223
Location: IL
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Instinctz wrote:

here is the thing: you can assume all you want, but what happens when your assumptions are wrong? you just made a bunch of incorrect assumptions and told people that this was going to be another god awful harem anime with generic cutout characters who have no development and they won't find it interesting...

and then you find out that you were in fact completely wrong?

Then they were wrong. It happens.

Hell, I was laughing for quite a bit after what Zac wrote about Love Lab was pretty much entirely incorrect. Instead of doing a preview of the first episode he decided to assume what he thought the rest of the series would be, and got it wrong 100%. But that happens. Oh well. He was wrong. Not like these reviewers are infallible. They're just giving their opinions on the early starts of various anime series and often attempting to do so in an entertaining way so that people will continue to read these Preview Guides.

EDIT: As for this season, I've liked Kawaisou, Still the World is Beautiful, Baby Steps, Riddle, and the second season of Mushishi. Haven't found any stinkers yet, but Riddle will be a likely drop after 3 episodes if it continues like the first episode.


Last edited by Megiddo on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 3098
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Also, everybody.

This is Tatsuya's full power set:

spoiler[>Regrowth - Allows complete recovery of any form of damage/injury. It is not a form of recovery magic; instead, by reverse-reading the records of the Eidos, copying the past information of the target and directly overwriting it, he is able to make the injury "not have existed in the first place".
>Decomposition - Decomposes material into atoms. Has been used by Tatsuya to unarm hundreds of soldiers from their guns at once.
>Material Burst - Decomposes substances into pure energy following E=MC², almost like an atomic bomb. Actually produces more energy than an atomic bomb, as energy is not lost to collisions between electrons and positrons like in annihilation reactions.
>Elite martial artist by world standard. His physical ninja skills are so impressive people thinks they are spells, when they're just his natural parameters.
>Elite class strategist by world standards
>Incredible speed at releasing magic, elite of the elite by world standards. Can essentially eliminate the buffer time completely
>Nearly unlimited magic supply
>Eyes analyze magic, allows him to cancel spells.
>The worlds greatest magic technology engineer
>His crippling flaws are that he's merely "average" in looks and suffers from weakened emotions, making him the cool badass stoic character. He also is bad at baby tier spells, making people discriminate against him.]


Yeah.

This is not an exaggeration in the slightest regardless of what fanboys say.


See this is a bit what I'm talking about, why was that not in the first episode? Thats sounds pretty cool, I'd watch a "MC is so badass the entire world military can't stand up to him" rather than "normal high school student who has a dark pass, that we won't mention for many episode, but it's there we swear!". There are some adaptation that understand that and put a quick sneak peek at some stuff that happen much further in the series just to grab the viewers attention.

I guess my problem with audience wish fulfillment is that it sounds like a scam, and after awhile I don't feel like it anymore. There's nothing inherently wrong about it, but I just got tired of it. These day I like unlikable MC more than likable one

Oh and going counter current here, I enjoy debating stuff on forum that serves 0 purpose, this is fun to me. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Daerian



Joined: 04 Dec 2011
Posts: 106
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Daerian wrote:

I just love it how everything must be a work of staggering genius to be just nice to read/watch fun action story.

The way you're defending it made it seem otherwise.

I like good action story to turn my brain off after work and writing articles. Is this bad?

Zac wrote:

Cool, doesn't seem like there's any evidence of that in the first episode, or at least the reviewers here didn't see any (except Carl - did you read Carl's preview? He seemed to find in it some of the qualities you're talking about...)

Yes. And as you can see I have also nothing against Theron martin one, even if he gave 2.

Zac wrote:

You've changed the goalposts on this a couple times - first you seemed angry that people weren't giving it 3 episodes before saying "I don't find this interesting and this first episode sucks" now you're upset that they dared speculate on where they think it might go.

Discussion started about my perceived problem with ANN always giving bad notes to anime with slow start, which is trend I have seen though years. No one really wanted to take this discussion up, and no one ever does.
Then it turned to Mahouka specifically, when my main problem is that relievers write about what the thin Mahouka will be, and not the first episode themselves. I like Theron martin review, what I have written few times, who, while still giving failing grade wrote about episode, not his vision from the future what entire series will be. Is this clear now?

Quote:
Either way you're not giving them any room to disagree with you based on their own thoughts and feelings - they can only disagree with you in ways you deem acceptable, apparently

Discussion is about coming back and forth. And I have no problem while disagreeing, I'm talking about Mahouka with meiam and disagreeing, while talking why I don't see some things which are problem for him as problem to me. And I'm not bashing Theron Martin, but praising him for critical, strong, but good written review.

Quote:
Yeah, nobody's bullying you or telling you to go away or anything like that so spare me the victim complex. You came here to argue and defend the show, people are pushing back, you'll live.

Sorry, but I'm pretty much being called part of 4chan hive mind, and it's suggested that only reason I like Mahouka is because I want to self insert myself into male fantasy heaven. This is not victim complex, this is level of discussion that was given to me. I can perfectly see you are okay with personal attacks as part of discussion, but I'm not and you will find them not in my post. Well, not to mention that if I would do something like that I would probably get warning from moderation, while other people can feel safe from it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Instinctz



Joined: 28 Feb 2014
Posts: 58
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Instinctz wrote:

here is the thing: you can assume all you want, but what happens when your assumptions are wrong? you just made a bunch of incorrect assumptions and told people that this was going to be another god awful harem anime with generic cutout characters who have no development and they won't find it interesting...

and then you find out that you were in fact completely wrong?

Then they were wrong. It happens.

Hell, I was laughing for quite a bit after what Zac wrote about Love Lab was pretty much entirely incorrect. Instead of doing a preview of the first episode he decided to assume what he thought the rest of the series would be, and got it wrong 100%. But that happens. Oh well. He was wrong. Not like these reviewers are infallible. They're just giving their opinions on the early starts of various anime series and often attempting to do so in an entertaining way so that people will continue to read these Preview Guides.

EDIT: As for this season, I've liked Kawaisou, Still the World is Beautiful, Baby Steps, Riddle, and the second season of Mushishi. Haven't found any stinkers yet, but Riddle will be a likely drop after 3 episodes if it continues like the first episode.


and all the people who decided not to watch it because you said it was this and it was instead something different instead? this is my issue with it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Daerian



Joined: 04 Dec 2011
Posts: 106
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

See this is a bit what I'm talking about, why was that not in the first episode? Thats sounds pretty cool, I'd watch a "MC is so badass the entire world military can't stand up to him" rather than "normal high school student who has a dark pass, that we won't mention for many episode, but it's there we swear!"

Well, they showed him exploding a fleet at the start Very Happy But yea, there could be more (and better ninjutsu scene).

meiam wrote:
I guess my problem with audience wish fulfillment is that it sounds like a scam, and after awhile I don't feel like it anymore. There's nothing inherently wrong about it, but I just got tired of it. These day I like unlikable MC more than likable one

Personally I don't really like Tatsuya. He is not a character that could be easily liked, with pretty much zero emotions spoiler[after they got mostly destroyed ma magical engineering on his mind] and cold, calculating personality.

meiam wrote:

Oh and going counter current here, I enjoy debating stuff on forum that serves 0 purpose, this is fun to me. Very Happy

I like it to, after all we are talking about our hobby, this is one of the most fun parts Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Animehermit



Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 963
Location: The Argama
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:
We all love brooding badasses. Why are Constantine, Fix or Dresden such fun and popular characters?
[/spoiler]


Quick note, as a huge Dresden fan. He's not a "brooding badass" type, he's the snarky learning to deal with his own responsibilities type.

He's much closer to Spiderman than Wolverine.

No thoughts on the show itself, just questioning your examples.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PachiPortrait



Joined: 23 Jul 2013
Posts: 30
Location: Raleigh, NC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Instinctz wrote:
here is the thing: you can assume all you want, but what happens when your assumptions are wrong? you just made a bunch of incorrect assumptions and told people that this was going to be another god awful harem anime with generic cutout characters who have no development and they won't find it interesting...

and then you find out that you were in fact completely wrong?


Then they'll admit they were wrong? I don't see the point here. Doesn't change the fact that a first impression is a first impression. You can't divert your opinion because you *might* be wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Daerian



Joined: 04 Dec 2011
Posts: 106
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Daerian wrote:
We all love brooding badasses. Why are Constantine, Fix or Dresden such fun and popular characters?
[/spoiler]


Quick note, as a huge Dresden fan. He's not a "brooding badass" type, he's the snarky learning to deal with his own responsibilities type.

He's much closer to Spiderman than Wolverine.

No thoughts on the show itself, just questioning your examples.

He is pretty much love child of Constantine and Spiderman and have a lot of brooding moments, even if snarkiness and foul mouth are much more visible Wink Well, pretty much of them are like that Very Happy
Big fan of him here too Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Barbobot



Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Posts: 459
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Instinctz wrote:

and all the people who decided not to watch it because you said it was this and it was instead something different instead? this is my issue with it.


And if it turns out to be good they'll probably see the 6 episode review here or the full series review and potentially give it another shot. If they don't then they probably just don't care enough to begin with. Not a big issue. People have limited time and can't watch everything every season.


Last edited by Barbobot on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Daerian



Joined: 04 Dec 2011
Posts: 106
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
PachiPortrait wrote:
Instinctz wrote:
here is the thing: you can assume all you want, but what happens when your assumptions are wrong? you just made a bunch of incorrect assumptions and told people that this was going to be another god awful harem anime with generic cutout characters who have no development and they won't find it interesting...

and then you find out that you were in fact completely wrong?


Then they'll admit they were wrong? I don't see the point here. Doesn't change the fact that a first impression is a first impression. You can't divert your opinion because you *might* be wrong.

You can write "this was bad because there were such and such mistakes" and not "this was bad because I think it will become harem anime with self-insert protag".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TehJazza



Joined: 06 Apr 2014
Posts: 4
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I feel people might be getting a bit too emotional in their defence/criticism of the show. There are a lot of assumptions being made and I don't think a line by line dissection of every post is making this any better. I feel this whole business of 'this is wrong' and 'this is why your argument makes no sense' is like trying to enforce your opinion onto others. As has been mentioned, the fact that we're bringing information that people unfamiliar with the series can't possibly know isn't necessarily a way to support your argument.

I'm not going to say that I'm fully defending or bashing the series. Yes, I'll admit that I like it. I also don't claim that it's a masterpiece. I don't mind (or I should more truthfully say that I accept) that there are people who don't like it. I just want to watch something I'm interested in.

In saying that, I have also watched OTHER shows.

Blade and Soul - again, I've had some experience with the source material, having played the Chinese beta for about a day and a half before I gave up trying to understand what the hell I was doing. In this case, I found that the prologue of the game does fill in some of the blanks from the first episode but otherwise, it does seem like a pretty generic fantasy show. I do like the art style though, as inconsistent as it is.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou - I really liked this one. Yeah, the premise isn't all that interesting, but I found myself surprised. I clearly didn't read the description since I was expecting some soapy drama romance thing. I find the backgrounds to be drawn really well, with a nice vibrant and contrasting colour palette the whole way through. I'm also a sucker for tsukkomi anime, so I found it pretty amusing the whole way through. Overall, I think it strikes a very nice balance between the different elements it's working with.

The World is Still Beautiful - I watched this after seeing the preview guide (only glancing at the scores) and I'm actually a little confused as to why I didn't connect to it. I didn't dislike it in any way, and I can even say I liked it a bit. The protagonist is very believable and strikes me as highly independent, but doesn't have an extravagantly overplayed personality. The setting reminded me of Maoyuu or Spice and Wolf, both of which I enjoyed. I dunno, maybe it's a good example of these preconceptions and taking the scores too much at face value that my expectations fell short. I'll keep watching, but I can't imagine myself sticking with it to the end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 3098
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
TehJazza wrote:

The World is Still Beautiful - I watched this after seeing the preview guide (only glancing at the scores) and I'm actually a little confused as to why I didn't connect to it. I didn't dislike it in any way, and I can even say I liked it a bit. The protagonist is very believable and strikes me as highly independent, but doesn't have an extravagantly overplayed personality. The setting reminded me of Maoyuu or Spice and Wolf, both of which I enjoyed. I dunno, maybe it's a good example of these preconceptions and taking the scores too much at face value that my expectations fell short. I'll keep watching, but I can't imagine myself sticking with it to the end.


I didn't find the first episode all that good either (why did they spend half of it on the family if there just minor character?) but in this case, I'm assuming the rest of the show will be better (they can't be introducing minor character every episode right?). The show doesn't really seems to take itself seriously anyway, so it should be good for a few laugh. Beside this season seems particularly poor, so I'll need something to fill the gap.

And on irregular, I'll probably watch a few more, you guy convince me, I'll just tell the brain that the sister will turn psycho bitch mode and will start killing people left and right any moment now, should keep it entertained.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Engineering Nerd



Joined: 24 Apr 2008
Posts: 855
Location: Southern California
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Hi, I don't usually post here despite I check ANN on a daily-basis (I am a junior in CalTech University, the excessive school load kinda prevent me to have active discussions) BUT I think it is necessary to step in a little before the whole Mahouka discussions getting a bit too crazy, crazy enough to ruin everyone's mood.

To Mahouka fans: Yes, I have read all 12 Novel volumes (vol 13 coming out April 10th), and I am a part of various fan-translation groups that translate this novel into Simplified Chinese and German. (due to my lack of free time recently, just editing though) I know what to expect and what to happen.


The first episode of Mahouka is actually better-paced than novel (cannot believe I just said that, sigh...). The first two volumes of Mahouka novel series are usually preventing people from being engaged, I can definitely understand why people said it is boring.

Because in novel. this is how the things being explained:

A: You brought a coke that is 500 yen, but why are you giving me 10000 yen bill?
B (Tatsuya): No, let me explain. when making payments and I give bills that is higher than required amount, the cashier must give me back the differential, in professional terminology, we called that "changes". But it is understandable that you are shocked, normal students usually give 500-1000 yen bill but that's how I roll (badass glare)
A: You are so awesome!! And Different! And Deep! And Intelligent!
C: You are a genius!
B: (badass smile) No, I am just a second-rate irregular.

I think this is the analogy that describes Mahouka pretty well: Some beast is eating tigers but pretending to be a pig.


I am currently having Co-Major consisting Civil and Environmental Engineering. I gotta say the novel author actually is pretty competent building a complex magic system that sometimes can be mistaken as pseudo-science. That's the good part.

And Tatsuya being bland actually has explanations, so that's a positive.

The bad...?

Before I start, please allow me to say there are many good reasons that people declaring this will be the most controversial anime in 2014. Please allow me to explain:


I can definitely understand people saying the main characters are Gary-stu or Mary su. Tatsuya and Miyuki were portrayed as god-tier characters that their drawbacks feels irreverent or just having the excuse to say: they are not perfect. Here is the thing: Tatsuya is a weed, but who needs basics in magic spoiler[if you can overwhelm your opponent in seconds, literally?] I often heard people calling this Chuck Norris, the anime; I always hate myself for unable to debunk that idea, because no matter how hard I can list all the "flaws" the characters have, in the real fights that count...they are just...flawless.

Oh, for anime watchers, please do get used to this formulaic introduction every time Tatsuya enters the fight:

spoiler[Miyuki: My borther is super awesome! He is unbeatable!
Others: Yeah righttt...you liar.
Tatsuya: Since my sister's honor is on the line, I will have to destroy you (curb-stomping his opponent)
opponent: You are awesome!
Miyuki: I told you.]



But the reason this anime being controversial has a little to do with characters, it's how politically-heavy and biased this fiction (yes I am aware it's just a fiction) is. Especially given how much tension is between various Asian countries.

You know, it's ok to have your setting aimed negatively at certain groups or country, as long as it did not go overboard. Several Literary classics have done that. But Mahouka ignores all kinds of sugarcoating and potential bias, and willing to continuously portraying certain country and group as ultimate "villains", and wants audience to have enjoyments when seeing those "villains" getting either nuked, destroyed or becoming "particles".


Remember seeing the big fleet getting exterminated in the first anime scene? spoiler[Because evil Chinese armada wants to invade Japan (lol wut) and our hero must stop them since they are portrayed as savages ]

And here's the most ironic things in Mahouka:

World war III? No, it's world war-II again except this time China and Japan's roles being reversed. And even more disgusting, Rape of Nanjing (Massacre that took away 300000+ lives of Chinese) now China is taking this role in the fiction. No one asking for balance in political preference, but can Mahouka at least stop mocking the historically victim countries like that? If you refuse to admit history, fine. But don't let those victim countries do the same thing in your novel that Japan did realistically! That's beyond suspension of any belief!

And wow...the novel did all the expositions, foreshadows and righteous reasons to justify nuking spoiler[Chinese Union] as necessary and reasonable.

worst of all, if making certain countries as villains doesn't satisfy the author, he blatantly stating people living on China towns in Japan are all spies or traitors, and should be alienated and better...exterminated. Even immigrants were being targeted into this madness?

And please don't make your villains sound stupid only to make Tatsuya smart, the author is actually doing Tatsuya disservice.

All in all, I hope Mahouka can still enjoy the anime as the show goes on. But would it be too much to ask...can you guys being a little cautious on "I cannot wait to see Tatsuya did XXXXX on volume X!" because for some people in other countries, or originate from those countries, that's...really insensitive.

PS: In China, various websites already brought simulcast rights for most spring anime, but no one is daring to touch Mahouka. But Mahouka is actually currently the most popular show in Chinese internet show right now with 20 million+ views. People over there can't wait to see how their country is portrayed and already give the show nicknames (although not very accurate if you read novel): The Legendary Hero who Annihilates China and Humilates America / The Light of Yammato / The Battle Spirits of Eastern Hope.

It is controversial, and that's the biggest selling point for the Chinese audience, because some admit: It's a surreal and ironic feeling to see China actually become an invader, and realistically it is amusing for wrong reasons.

I apologize if anyone felt offended, and wish everyone has a great spring anime season!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chagen46



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 4377
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
So I decided to actually watch Mahouka episode 1.

Pros:

-DAT MUSIC. Holy shit it's so GOOD. Totally downloading the OST CD's when they come out
-Tatsuya may be a gigantic Mary Sue but he is hot as hell and his voice is pure sexiness
-DAT MUSIC. IT'S SO DAMN GOOD
-The girls are pretty hot
-Doesn't look (visually) that bad
-Fights are p. kickass
--Seriously, DAT MUSIC

Cons:

-Oh my GOD that was boring. So little happening in one episode, holy shit
-Erika and Leo are vastly more interesting than the main couple
-Miyuki's voice is...weird.
-INFODUMPS. Holy shit these infodumps are retarded
-Endless dropping of terms with zero explanation of all of them but like...three
-ED sounds literally exactly like SAO's, or maybe LISA just has that unique of a voice

FInal thoughts: It's not EXECRABLE. But it is rather unengaging. Regardless, since I know how it becomes a Guilty-Crown level trainwreck later on I'll keep watching.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 50

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group