• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: World Embryo Manga by Chrono Crusade's Moriyama to End in May

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
Another manga to end this year huh? Hope this will have a decent ending at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:31 am Reply with quote
I wonder whatever happened with Dark Horse's license for this. They just waiting for it to expire?
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:35 am Reply with quote
I guess this also means no anime of this series will ever be made at this point. life is unfair Sad
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:14 am Reply with quote
^^^

Agreed was one of the series I was hoping would get animated, well it;s been a great ride hope it has a ending worthy of the series,
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
I wonder whatever happened with Dark Horse's license for this. They just waiting for it to expire?

I've been wondering this myself. I was very excited when they licensed it. Then nothing ever happened with it. A lot of manga licenses expire pretty quickly if the publisher isn't actively releasing volumes, so hopefully someone else will be able to nab it. I really want to see a North American release of this.

I know Madman released it in Australia. Perhaps I will just import it one of these days.
Sylontack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:16 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I know Madman released it in Australia. Perhaps I will just import it one of these days.

Madman's release is fantastic, although their supplier CY Manga pretty much dropped all contact with the world suddenly a couple of years ago and this year it was confirmed they went bust and Madman can no longer do business with a company that doesn't exist so they only got as far as volume 8 Sad
(Also means I can't repurchase the translation and editions of Chrono Crusade that I grew up with D: )
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
Man it's taken that long since he finished this? The last story I read was CC. I didn't know that this series was still running.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Man it's taken that long since he finished this? The last story I read was CC. I didn't know that this series was still running.

understandable that you though it was already over or something seeing that the fan translations have been very inconstant and take forever. I guess the good news is that the raws that also take awhile to get online we will no longer have to deal with that but the translations will be the remaining problem.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Asrialys wrote:

I've been wondering this myself. I was very excited when they licensed it. Then nothing ever happened with it. A lot of manga licenses expire pretty quickly if the publisher isn't actively releasing volumes, so hopefully someone else will be able to nab it. I really want to see a North American release of this.

I hear you. If it's not released in the states by the time the manga ends I'll have to look into Aussie imports myself. Rolling Eyes
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
WHOOO! Congrats to my favorite mangaka for finishing another series!

I've been assuming that Dark Horse dropped the license, honestly. I've been hoping someone would release it, but...=\ I think at this point I'm going to import the Japanese volumes just so I can support him.

theNightster wrote:
I guess this also means no anime of this series will ever be made at this point. life is unfair Sad

This might be just wishful thinking, but I wouldn't count it out just yet. I've noticed World Embryo is consistently on the best-seller list whenever it comes out with a new volume (it drops away again right afterward, but that at least speaks to a devoted fanbase). It's not unheard of for finished manga to get an anime series, right?

In fact--and this is JUST a guess, and not based on anything official that I've heard anyone say--I've been assuming that Moriyama's been holding back on letting the anime go through until the manga is finished, since he's said before about CC that he was too busy with the manga to advise much at all on the anime. He's never outwardly expressed disappointment in the anime so it's hard to say how he feels about it, but it was very different from the manga, so it could be that he's hoping for something a little closer this time? Or at least, an anime that doesn't have to make things up so quickly.

Chrno2 wrote:

It's not that long, really. Both CC and WE were monthly series. Chrono Crusade ran from 1998-2003 (so 5 years) and was 8 volumes. World Embryo's last volumes were 10 and 11 but I think there's been enough chapters now to fill at least a few more volumes--say, up to 14?--so 9ish years isn't that far off from the pace Chrono Crusade was at. World Embryo has ended up being a more complicated series than Chrono Crusade, if you can believe it, so it's ended up being much longer. (It hasn't felt nearly as rushed as CC did at some points, too...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

This might be just wishful thinking, but I wouldn't count it out just yet. I've noticed World Embryo is consistently on the best-seller list whenever it comes out with a new volume (it drops away again right afterward, but that at least speaks to a devoted fanbase). It's not unheard of for finished manga to get an anime series, right?

In fact--and this is JUST a guess, and not based on anything official that I've heard anyone say--I've been assuming that Moriyama's been holding back on letting the anime go through until the manga is finished, since he's said before about CC that he was too busy with the manga to advise much at all on the anime. He's never outwardly expressed disappointment in the anime so it's hard to say how he feels about it, but it was very different from the manga, so it could be that he's hoping for something a little closer this time? Or at least, an anime that doesn't have to make things up so quickly.

I wouldn't say it's unheard of (a big example would be Mirai Nikki/Future Diary) but it's rare these days. I guess it did well enough for a drama CD so I'm happy for that but most anime series are produced to promote the source material, so I don't know if any company would find adapting a manga that's not being written anymore profitable. I could be wrong and I really hope I am in this case but the fact that it sells good would make it more possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1