• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Incredible Geniuses

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
And not a single person from LoGH. Kids these days.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Favorite English manga publisher... toughie between Viz, whom I buy the most from easily, and Vertical, whom I simply think is the most awesome and who published Twin Spica (to poor sales, sadly) But Viz wins on quantity (though I like them a lot too), but I really do like Vertical's releases. They have awesome hardcover LE things (if I cared about Gundam, those are really nice releases).

For some of my favorite geniuses:
Jim Hawking (Outlaw Star)-comes up with the ideas and does any ship maintenance involving computers. I mean, he becomes bff with the ship's AI. I'm just going to assume that he is an orphan or something, I've always wondered about that....

Captain Tylor-....or is he? Seriously, I could never figure out if he was hidden genius or just damn damn lucky. But it's definitely one or the other.

Kintaro Oe (Golden Boy)-the dude learns how to program a computer and type in practically a single night despite not owning a computer and having to practice on a piece of cardboard. In the 90s.

Lupin the III-definitely the thief I root for. Sure, Inspector Zenigata isn't exactly a huge challenge, but he fools more than just that dummy.

Edward (Cowboy Bebop)-hacks the Bebop into a toy? Check. Epic chess match? Check. Uber hacker? Check

Yang Wen-Li and Reinhard von Lohengramm (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)-I could add a ton of other people here from that show, but I'm going to stick with the main two geniuses for now. They're the only match for one another, anyone else who goes up against them loses, yet they can match each other and that makes every match up between them awesome, because you never know how it'll go.

Taichi Keaton (Master Keaton)-guy's good at bluffing, surviving in the desert, solving mysteries, he's a true "jack of all trades".

Izzy (Digimon)-my favorite whiz kid for sure. I still question how much battery he has on that damn laptop. Ken might technically be smarter, but I still much prefer Izzy (possibly because he doesn't start off as a villain)

Dr. Black Jack-surgical genius, he can even operate on himself while surrounded by wild rabid dingoes in the outback (clearly the most badass moment for a doctor character ever).

Ash Lynx (Banana Fish)-more people need to read manga and have them on these lists or something because they're all missing Ash Lynx. The series itself says he has an IQ over 180 and he actually proves it. Everything from politics to strategy, he grasps it all easily. He also can do 80s computer stuff, back when people rarely had computers (I do love his reaction to the older people saying "you can use a computer?" "you can't?", just like hanging out with grandma and grandpa)

Last edited by zawa113 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I've purchased (and loved) books from almost all of the publishers listed, but I chose Dark Horse because I purchased my first manga, Blade of the Immortal from them almost 20 years ago. They also publish Berserk and Kurosagi Corpse Delivery, both of which I ADORE.

If the question was for my favorite North American comics publisher (in other words comics written by North American artists), I would have voted from Fantagraphics in a heartbeat. My college years and onward were spent salivating over titles like Love and Rockets, Hate, Meatcake, and Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron. Of course, I love them for publishing Heart of Thomas, A Drunken Dream, and Wandering Son too.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Mine was Vertical, thanks to their combination of interesting licenses, nice looking books, and especially because they're so involved in communicating with fans through social media and even this forum. It makes me want to root for them, to see their books do well and to look forward to the stuff they get.

Dark Horse would be my second, and I admit most of that is due to their gorgeous CLAMP omnibuses. Sadly, they've been pretty quiet on new licenses and releases, although like Fantagraphics they're also a great company for North American comic releases.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Narutos' Yahiko was a genius in in the sense that spoiler[he is the only shinobi to call Obito's bluff on being Madara from the start].
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
This week's poll was genuinely tough. I love Vertical for basically the same reasons Brainchild mentioned, and Ed is awesome.
I really like Kodansha Comics as well, as they've picked up some pretty interesting series (No. 6 <3 ) although they lose points for not continuing Nodame Cantabile and Ghost Hunt (which I'm not a particular fan of, but it only had 1 volume left!!!) But they did finish Arisa, which is excellent.
I like Viz as well, though not as much. Their complete lack of interest in Ai Yazawa's back catalogue as well as preventing other publishers from licensing them and other Shogakukan/Shueisha works loses them points. They do publish a lot of series I like though.
Yen Press seem to be acquiring fewer and fewer manga I'm interested in lately, but they're willing to take a chance on light novels, so I like them for that.
Seven Seas just keep getting better and better. Years ago, I hated them for dropping the Strawberry Panic novels, but they eventually finished them, and they seem to be acquiring more and more interesting stuff now. Hopefully the success of Alice and Monster Musume will allow them to take more chances on stuff. Although I'm not impressed by dropping Lizzie Newton.
Digital Manga don't publish much I'm interested in. I still haven't forgiven them for their print hiatus, but at least I finally have Alice the 101st 3 and Itazura na Kiss will eventually be finished.
Dark Horse get points for their lovely CLAMP omnibuses, but lose them for constantly redesigning their spines and making my shelves look horrible.
All the simulpubs don't have much I'm interested in, but I really like what they're trying to do, and I'll support them as much as I can.
Fantagraphics and the other small publishers release beautiful books, but they're so expensive and they don't have much to choose from. Wandering Son is wonderful though.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I went with Vertical as my pick. Quality releases (even when they aren't suited to my personal tastes), an interesting and distinctive lineup, and they're really proactive when it comes to fan communication. Oh, and those awesome cookbooks!

Viz is a very, very close second; they've published a lot of my favorites over the years, though it seems like they aren't as good as Vertical when it comes to notifying readers/fans when something is about to (or has) gone out of print. Also love Kodansha, and DMP, Dark Horse, and Fantagraphics get a decent amount of my money as well.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Tsk tsk, how could you omit to mention Clow Reed from Card Captor Sakura? Cool

Other than that, Victorique from Gosick was pretty genius.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
While I like that One Peace finally brought us Sasameki Koto(even if their first volume had poor QC), I'd have to say it's a tossup between Yen and Seven Seas. Volume and series-wise I own more from Yen(though the series count's probably about even if you include the manga on long-term loan from my uncle), but Seven Seas seems far more daring in their licenses and I like that in a company. Ultimately, I decided to cast my vote for Seven Seas on account of them licensing yuri.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Just a quick correction for the Ichinose entry: the guy's name is Tomoya, not Tomoka. ;D

Happy to see three of my favorite geniuses on this list: Ami, Kotomi and Conan.

Favorite publisher? As some have stated, that's a toughie. I guess Shonen Jump is my current favorite, but I was more of an avid Tokyopop owner when they still existed. I also have stuff from the deceased CMX, Yen Press, Kodansha Comics, Del Rey, Udon, Dark Horse and ADV Manga. I think I'm more grateful that so many of them exist so that we have access to a variety of manga series.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
The first person who came to my mind when reading the list was Daru, from Steins Gate, but I suppose he isn't as much of a super genius as Kurisu, he is the top super "hacka" though!

As for my favorite publisher, I quite like Viz largely because they have a lot of titles I really enjoy. But I do like Yen Plus despite the fact that I very rarely buy their manga. Their light novels are high quality though.

But whoever licenses Brynhildr in the Darkness or The World God Only Knows will become my favorite publisher. (Although the latter has no chance of happening)
Siwan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
When you talk about gambling geniuses, you ought to know Tomu Shirasagi from Gamble Fish.

Else, I think this poll is quite good (Makise Kurisu for the win)
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
For the new poll I voted for Viz because I have read more from them than from any other active publisher.
But Seven Seas has published a lot that I like, such as Dance in the Vampire Bund and their various yuri titles, including the old Strawberry line.
Yen has also done a lot that I like. For quantity the Haruhi Suzumiya books alone put them ahead of most other publishers. They also have Sunshine Sketch, High school of the Dead, and Omamori Himari, to name the few that I can think of right now.

I am satisfied with the results of the previous poll even though Wendy Marvell, my pick, was only number 10.
I could have voted for any of the top four. Wendy was chosen mostly because I thought that she needed the support more than the others, and she's cute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that Chiyo Mihama from Azumanga Daioh wasn't on the list!
TG72

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
What about Naruto's Shikamaru? Waiting to see what he's really plotting during a battle is fun.

I'm glad others have mentioned Dr. Black Jack and Victorique de Blois.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4