• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Strike the Blood's Yukina, Black Bullet's Rentarō Join Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xikara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't usually care about this type of games but this one looks great. Too bad I might not ever get to try it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Yukina get! Come on, now you just gotta add Fear!
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
This game reminds me of Smash Bros. in that they are putting characters from different series that are under the same company against each other in a fight. As well as having support characters. This looks to be an awesome gamer. I am surprise however that they are adding Kirino Kōsaka from Oreimo as a playable character. Now it's really like Smash Bros. in that they adding characters people would last expect to see participating in a fighting game. I kind of wonder how is she going to fight against the other characters. Also, nice choice for them to add Shizuo from Durara. He would make for an aggressive fighter with his super strength and short temper.

On another note I was expecting that Miyuki Shiba from The irregular at magic high school would be apart of the roster since she was on the front page, but it looks like that's not the case. If only this game could be release on a console (ideally console that is region free) I would so buy and give it a try.

Last edited by Aquasakura on Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
EastN3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I wish this game would stop getting coverage, because every time I see it it frustrates me with the way it's executing the character roster.

1. The supports for some characters doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't Shana's support be Yuji Sekai, the actual main character? Likewise, why doesn't Kirino have Kyousuke, once again, the actual main character, and her main foil? Taiga has Ryuji, Mikoto has Toma, Kuroyukihime has Haruyuki! This is a clear precedent that the girl main character should have the guy main character for a support, barring SAO where both are in, and Durarara, where it's reversed.

Speaking of, why do Kirito and Asuna have the same support, and why did they show clear favoritism by putting in more SAO characters than any other franchise?

2. Why are the support characters all the cool, unique ones they should have used as actual fighters? Kino, Boogiepop, Sadao Mao, Erio Towa, freaking Holo?! It's a frigging Dengeki Bunko dreamteam!
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
This game is ass, but the team that made this also made Under Night In Birth which is phenomenal.

Also, Miyuki you can go to tell, nobody like you.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
On another note I was expecting that Miyuki Shiba from The irregular at magic high school would be apart of the roster since she was on the front page, but it looks like that's not the case.

She was added last time with Taiga.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
EastN3 wrote:
2. Why are the support characters all the cool, unique ones they should have used as actual fighters? Kino, Boogiepop, Sadao Mao, Erio Towa, freaking Holo?! It's a frigging Dengeki Bunko dreamteam!

Kino mostly just stands there and fires, which doesn't make for very exciting game play. Likewise, Boogiepop was probably easier to turn in to a support character who stops/slows down opponents, rather than trying to come up with a full move list for them.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Awesome to see that black Bullet got some recognition with this. Hopefully the anime's popular enough to bring the LNs over to the West.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
This game needs Tina Sprout w/ Kisara Tendou as support.
EastN3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
EastN3 wrote:

Kino mostly just stands there and fires, which doesn't make for very exciting game play. Likewise, Boogiepop was probably easier to turn in to a support character who stops/slows down opponents, rather than trying to come up with a full move list for them.

That's a load of bull. A girl with a gun and motorcycle, and someone with godlike abilities, fighting abilities included, shouldn't be that hard to figure out moves for. Smash Bros put in ROB and Zelda, characters with no real fighting abilities shown before, so I don't believe for a second that it would be hard.

These guys made Melty Blood and Under Night In-Birth, so they're no stranger to making up movesets. Almost none of the characters in Tsukihime had any fighting abilities until they *gasp* created some for Melty Blood.

Lastly, this game only has 12 characters as opposed to Melty Blood's 39, they're not exactly being taxed.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
EastN3 wrote:
Lastly, this game only has 12 characters as opposed to Melty Blood's 39, they're not exactly being taxed.

Then maybe it's all based on popularity. How many copies is Kino selling with every new volume?

Last edited by EyeOfPain on Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
EastN3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
EastN3 wrote:

Than maybe it's all based on popularity. How many copies is Kino selling with every new volume?

Exactly, that's what I hate about this game. They're not trying to celebrate Dengeki Bunko's past, present, and future, (for God's sake Boogiepop redefined the light novel medium, it's what helped put Dengeki where they are now!) they're trying to make a quick buck of SAO and other recent hits' success. It's fine that they have the new popular guys in, but shoving classics like Kino and Boogiepop into support slots is disgusting.
dark-kyon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
EastN3 wrote:

1. The supports for some characters doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't Shana's support be Yuji Sekai, the actual main character? Likewise, why doesn't Kirino have Kyousuke, once again, the actual main character, and her main foil? Taiga has Ryuji, Mikoto has Toma, Kuroyukihime has Haruyuki! This is a clear precedent that the girl main character should have the guy main character for a support, barring SAO where both are in, and Durarara, where it's reversed.

1- in japan at diference of the west,the japaneses gamers like to play with female characters.
2-some characters how yuuji are main characters but not are the what mainly fighting in the show.
3-generally this games tend to use the most popular characters.wich in much cases are female characters.
4-is common what japanese desing lack in male characters.they are superb when it come at girl,but to create male characters they are uninspired,basycally in several light novel they have a main male characters for question of scrip even knowing what this will be uninteresting,but his female partner are the real interesting and where they put his work to sell his product.
5-pretty girls sell in japan,pretty girls fighting sell even more in japan,nobody put male characters for nothing you need being bad ass(shizuo) or too popular(kirito) to the japanese devs. use you instead of a cute girl.
OpinionatedWeaboo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't going to pick this game because it has retarded mechanics that promote stalling and bad play, but after seeing Himeragi joining the roster I might consider it.
electricpatriot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
*gasp* Yukina! I thought they'd overlooked her, but my favorite character from last year is really going to be in this game!? Hooray!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2