• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Polar Bear's Café Manga Moves From Flowers to Cocohana

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
That author must still be pissed about Shogakukan trying to screw her out of anime royalties on that series.

Last edited by GATSU on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
clipeuh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
That author must still be pissed about Shogakukan trying to screw them out of anime royalties on that series.

This whole ordeal squashes my hope of a Polar Bear Café season 2. I hope crunchyroll manga or someone will pick up the manga someday, I want more of these characters.
senbonzakura

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Aloha Higa started manga in Shueisha's Flowers magazine in 2008

The next issue preview for Shogakukan's Cocohana magazine is listing that Aloha Higa's Shirokuma Café (Polar Bear's Café) manga will be moving to the magazine as of its September 2014 magazine.

A little mistake there. It should be Shogakukan's Flowers and Shueisha's Cocohana. Very Happy
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
It's funny, I was just thinking about this title and then an article on it shows up. Yeah, thats what some authors do when things don't go right. But I wonder if she was happy with the anime?
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm just hoping that someone *cough* Yen Press *cough* could pick up this amazing series. I've seen the anime, but knowing that the series has continued in Manga form and not anime, it drives me insane because I love this series so much! I want to see more of my favorite characters! The day it comes to America I will be first in line at the book store to buy this amazing series! (And considering the nearest bookstore is an hour away that's showing a LOT of love for this series)
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
yotsuba: Viz would have priority on it, and it baffles me that they haven't picked it up. It sounds like it's right up their alley.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
yotsuba: Viz would have priority on it, and it baffles me that they haven't picked it up. It sounds like it's right up their alley.

VIZ? Well yeah I guess that would make the most sense at this point and time. A few years ago it would have looked exactly like something Yen press would have translated (That was before they started translating and releasing American TV shows and books in Manga form.) But now-a-days, yeah VIZ does seem like the best bet.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
GATSU wrote:

VIZ? Well yeah I guess that would make the most sense at this point and time. A few years ago it would have looked exactly like something Yen press would have translated (That was before they started translating and releasing American TV shows and books in Manga form.) But now-a-days, yeah VIZ does seem like the best bet.

This isn't about the content or style of the series; it's because Shogakukan and Shueisha (the former and current Japanese publishers of Polar Bear's Café) both own Viz, so Viz is basically the only publisher that can license any of their series in English, outside of maybe a few special circumstances (such as a preexisting relationship between another publisher and an individual artist).

(personally, I don't see it as a title Viz would be interested in picking up any time soon, but I could be wrong...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1