• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Texas' Fantastic Fest to Host U.S. Premiere of Princess Kaguya Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
I'm so hoping this comes somewhere around where I live. So often releases like this skip us by. I'm really looking forward to seeing it someday.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I just want to know when it releases on Blu-Ray to be perfectly honest. I didn't go see Ponyo when it actually managed to be in a theater 10 minutes from my house, I know I won't go see this movie which, when it does theater release, probably will be 4 hours away.

Theaters are just so over-priced and uncomfortable to me now days. I watch VERY few movies in theaters at all.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
I just want to know when it releases on Blu-Ray to be perfectly honest. I didn't go see Ponyo when it actually managed to be in a theater 10 minutes from my house, I know I won't go see this movie which, when it does theater release, probably will be 4 hours away.

Theaters are just so over-priced and uncomfortable to me now days. I watch VERY few movies in theaters at all.

I've been going to more movies in theaters this year. I either go to the first showing on a Sunday morning, or an early Monday showing. They're cheap and practically empty and you can lean back and put your feet up. That said, I still wouldn't go see Ponyo in a theater. But Princess Kaguya looks special, like the sort of thing i want to see on a big screen so I'll go if I can. Sadly the closest theater will probably be 6-7 hours away and I can't drive that on my own.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
That said, I still wouldn't go see Ponyo in a theater. But Princess Kaguya looks special, like the sort of thing i want to see on a big screen so I'll go if I can. Sadly the closest theater will probably be 6-7 hours away and I can't drive that on my own.

I was able to see Ponyo at a large multiplex about 15 km from home and enjoyed being able to see it with others who wanted to see it (not that many people mind you).

For Kaguya Hime Monogatari, I was able to see it during a very brief visit to Japan last year, and was glad to see it in a cinema more than half full.

The reactions from other viewers as well as the big screen make me want to see such movies at the cinema.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
For Kaguya Hime Monogatari, I was able to see it during a very brief visit to Japan last year, and was glad to see it in a cinema more than half full.

The reactions from other viewers as well as the big screen make me want to see such movies at the cinema.

You live among more polite people than I do, my friend. Most of the movie-goers where I live talk loudly through movies, on cell phones, bring their little kids who scream through movies. And at "cartoons" there will be a bunch of kids. I only go at times when very few people will be there so I don't have to deal with that and can watch and actually hear the movie.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:53 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:

I only go at times when very few people will be there so I don't have to deal with that and can watch and actually hear the movie.

When I saw Arrietty at the cinema (in Adelaide, at an arthouse cinema), it was great being with other people who appreciated the touches of humour.

Maybe our cinemas are civilised, but for really polite behaviour at cinemas and concerts it's difficult to beat the Japanese.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:06 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:

I was able to see Ponyo at a large multiplex about 15 km from home and enjoyed being able to see it with others who wanted to see it (not that many people mind you).

We saw Ponyo in a theater mostly full of moms with their kids! (Talking to them, they heard about the movie from Disney publicities.)
Some movies ya can only enjoy (more) with other people. Laughing

omiya wrote:

Maybe our cinemas are civilised, but for really polite behaviour at cinemas and concerts it's difficult to beat the Japanese.

Just not with comedy movies - they'd be dead quiet not even laugh. Laughing
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

We saw Ponyo in a theater mostly full of moms with their kids! (Talking to them, they heard about the movie from Disney publicities.)
Some movies ya can only enjoy (more) with other people. Laughing

I had a young relative with me who was used to watching Studio Ghibli anime on DVD with the madman.com.au opening, and used to seeing Disney animations on DVD with the Disney "Fantasyland" opening, so she was surprised to see a "Fantasyland" opening to Ponyo at the cinema.

I have yet to see a Japanese comedy in a Japanese cinema btw.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1