• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga Planning Tezuka Kickstarter Covering 6 Series

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninja noir

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Jesus, how expensive is this campaign going to be? This feels like they're pushing a bit much with this one.
DeathScytheRuler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
ninja noir wrote:
Jesus, how expensive is this campaign going to be? This feels like they're pushing a bit much with this one.

They were only asking for $13K during their last project and the bare minimum they are trying to do with this one is publish two titles (20 volumes) so perhaps somewhere in the $30K area, maybe. Obviously a lot more if they reach their stretch goals for the other titles.
ninja noir

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if those stretch goals are to be offered to backers of this new Kickstarter, or do they mean that they will be put forward for another KS?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
ninja noir wrote:
Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if those stretch goals are to be offered to backers of this new Kickstarter, or do they mean that they will be put forward for another KS?

Stretch goals are part of the same Kickstarter. A Kickstarter campaign starts with a single goal ($xxx) to fund The Three-Eyed One and Rainbow Parakeet. Once that goal is met, but there is still time left to donate (KickStarter campaigns usually last 30 days to meet the campaign goal), then backers can attempt to meet the #1 stretch goal ($xxxx) for Wonder Three and Alabaster. If that goal is met, and there is still time in the campaign, backers can support stretch goal #2 ($xxxxx) for Vampires and Birdman Anthology.

If the campaign closes without a stretch goal being met but the main goal is reached, The Three-Eyed One and Rainbow Parakeet would still be published.

I hope that makes sense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
i'm kind of sick of Kickstarters. I supported the first couple Kickstarters, now i think about it. This doesn't make sense. People who want start a business, but they don't want to take risk. wtf.
Niyari

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
where's the kickstarter for them to release hidan no aria at a pace faster than 1 volume per fukin year? new volumes are released in Japan at a faster rate than they translate the novels, and that's including print. ughhhhh

/rant off
DeathScytheRuler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
i'm kind of sick of Kickstarters. I supported the first couple Kickstarters, now i think about it. This doesn't make sense. People who want start a business, but they don't want to take risk. wtf.

There are many different kinds of projects and not everyone is out to start a business. Really successful ones might lead to some sort of start-up but the majority of Kickstarter people start one to get their project going with no plans to actually turn it into something more than it will be, or they already have an established business and they're trying something new to see what people might be interested in.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
On the surface, that summary of W3 makes it sound a lot like Grant Morrison's own We3. No way that's a coincidence.

I'm backing this, if only so I can read ALABASTER in an official English translation.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh, yes, my wallet is screaming right now! I collect every Tezuka manga that gets published in English so.... yeaaah....
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Well there's actually a title in each tier I've been dying to read.
F-Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Wonder 3's the only one out of these not already available in French, and I'm excited to see the potential of having both the manga and the anime (via Anime Sols) being crowdfunded simultaneously.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Good luck to Digital Manga to try to get this release in the US. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
DeathScytheRuler wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

There are many different kinds of projects and not everyone is out to start a business. Really successful ones might lead to some sort of start-up but the majority of Kickstarter people start one to get their project going with no plans to actually turn it into something more than it will be, or they already have an established business and they're trying something new to see what people might be interested in.

Digital Manga is trying to make money and start a business. Most people are trying to turn into something more than just one project. After one project, they ask for more money again for another project.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I just want to know where the Jungke Taitei (Kimba) translated comic is. apparently a deal broke a few years ago. I asked if it was because of the portrayal of African Americans and they told me no, so I wonder what it could've been.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
grooven: This might answer your question. Or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2