• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki's Honorary Oscar Acceptance Speech Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was quite something. I'm glad he is able to say what's on his mind and quite proud of what he has produced throughout his career.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting some Patlabor 2 unjust peace from that speech. As for film being dead, yeah that's true and it's likely never coming back even for art-driven nostalgia pieces.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry Miyazaki Pencil and Paper animation are not going away yet.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Very happy to see this. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Now I want to watch all his movies again...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I didn't know that honorary Oscars can be handed out at a time of year significantly removed from either the main Oscar ceremony or the technical Oscars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

We can always hope. I feel like there will always be a small number of anime creators who continue to do it that way out of pure artistic desire, just as there are all sorts of different methods of creating art, but it is definitely not being used as often as it was back in the "good old days". Not that that is a particularly bad thing. More styles and variations of animation is a good thing in my opinion. As long as no style completely dies out(accept for 3DCG, that can go die in a hole. Western CG is as much of that as I ever want! Laughing )
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Great to see him accept his award even if traveling was bothersome. Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

We can always hope. I feel like there will always be a small number of anime creators who continue to do it that way out of pure artistic desire, just as there are all sorts of different methods of creating art, but it is definitely not being used as often as it was back in the "good old days". Not that that is a particularly bad thing. More styles and variations of animation is a good thing in my opinion. As long as no style completely dies out(accept for 3DCG, that can go die in a hole. Western CG is as much of that as I ever want! Laughing )

All the new animators even in Japan also learn CG because it gives them more career opportunities. They can not only work in anime studios, but they are also employable in the lucrative video games and live-action SFX. Pure Ghibli animators would have trouble getting employment anywhere else.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

All the new animators even in Japan also learn CG because it gives them more career opportunities. They can not only work in anime studios, but they are also employable in the lucrative video games and live-action SFX. Pure Ghibli animators would have trouble getting employment anywhere else.

Thankfully it works the other way as well, when I was at Uni everyone could draw. I remember there was one guy who was great at both 3D Modelling and Drawing.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

I'm sure most Ghibli animators(if not all) also have CG education. Just because they might not use the skill for movie visuals doesn't mean they don't have it. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a prerequisite for Studio Ghibli just as much as any other studio. It is a great skill and can be used for a lot of things obviously, including anime, I'm not stating otherwise, I just don't want it to become used as the primary form of animation in most future productions. Using it for certain things within a show in moderation(cars, planes, etc.) is fine, if it's well integrated, just don't use it for the whole show please.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I'm sure most Ghibli animators(if not all) also have CG education. Just because they might not use the skill for movie visuals doesn't mean they don't have it. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a prerequisite for Studio Ghibli just as much as any other studio. It is a great skill and can be used for a lot of things obviously, including anime, I'm not stating otherwise, I just don't want it to become used as the primary form of animation in most future productions. Using it for certain things within a show in moderation(cars, planes, etc.) is fine, if it's well integrated, just don't use it for the whole show please.

They did have a department that handled CG starting with Princess Mononoke, they got rid of it shortly before production began on Ponyo.

The best integration of CG imho was in Cannon Fodder, though I've heard Steamboy did it it really well too.
TG72

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
To be honest, I didn't know that honorary Oscars can be handed out at a time of year significantly removed from either the main Oscar ceremony or the technical Oscars.

It would be nice to have him mentioned during the main event in February. But with people (understandably) complaining about how long the Oscars usually run, I wouldn't bet on it. I'm glad that at least we fans finally got to see this moment.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
This was hilarious. Most passive-aggressive Oscar acceptance speech in history.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

They did have a department that handled CG starting with Princess Mononoke, they got rid of it shortly before production began on Ponyo.

The best integration of CG imho was in Cannon Fodder, though I've heard Steamboy did it it really well too.

I don't even remember seeing CG in Steamboy, so that's probably a good mark in thst case. It has been several years since I've seen it though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2