• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yo-kai Watch to Air in U.S., Europe, Other Regions Globally

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hino stated that, although many of the Yo-kai's names will be changed, Jibanyan and Whisper's will remain the same. He asked the characters' respective voice actors, Etsuko Kozakura and Tomokazu Seki, to "study English."

Yeah, because they're TOTALLY going to become fluent in English AND be able to voice act well in that language within a few months. Sure, Hino-san. Whatever you say. Wink
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, good luck finding a US broadcaster to show Yo-kai Watch. Somebody might want to remind him that Saturday morning cartoon in US are dead already. But I have a suggestion, why not put it on Dramafever's kid section (since children shows from Korea and China are shown on there too), and also put it on Hulu since more people are watching online (but I don't know if that will happen because most Japanese companies don't like internet streaming).

ANN wrote:
Jibanyan and Whisper's names will remained unchanged

Well that's nice to know they won't change the name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veniamin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Saturday Morning Cartoons are dead on Television, but if they play their cards right and actually cared about marketing, they could use Hulu, Neon Alley, Viz, etc. Saturday Morning Cartoons are more prominent if you use online.
yappers4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Can someone explain to me why Yo-Kai Watch is popular? To me, it seems like Pokemon, but a bit more childish (Pokemon can get serious sometimes but I don't see any seriousness in this series, pun not meant to be intended).
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
If I were them, I'd just stream it on Youtube, which is what Buddyfight, Cardfight, B Daman, and Scan2Go does now.

Anyway, I'll watch, as long as the dubbers don't pull an LBX (skip whole episodes, splice others, etc)
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
If there's more chance of us getting the games, I'm all for it! Inazuma Eleven aired here in the UK and we got the games at a similar time so hopefully they have a similar plan for Yo-kai Watch.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Seeing how they handle localizing such a heavily Japanese property as Yo-Kai Watch should prove interesting. After the mixed-bag localization the Pokemon anime has received over the years, my expectations are reasonably low. Kids shows from Japan always seem to get the shaft one way or the other when brought over. I'm talking d-list voice actors, replaced soundtracks -the works.

yappers4 wrote:
Can someone explain to me why Yo-Kai Watch is popular? To me, it seems like Pokemon, but a bit more childish (Pokemon can get serious sometimes but I don't see any seriousness in this series, pun not meant to be intended).

Kid's like it for being a new take on the monster-collecting genre for their generation, rather than an old-school franchise like Pokemon.

Japanese Kid wrote:
“Yo-Kai watch doesn't have annoying adult fans like Pokémon does.”

Source

mdo7 wrote:
Oh boy, good luck finding a US broadcaster to show Yo-kai Watch. Somebody might want to remind him that Saturday morning cartoon in US are dead already.

Last time I checked, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon and Disney's various cable channel's all still play cartoons. Not only on Saturday, but throughout the week. If Doraemon can air on Disney xd, anything is possible.

Last edited by ParkerALx on Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least Jibanyan and Whisper's names will remain unchanged, which is a good thing, considering that they're the mascots of the show.

Why Akihiro Hino asked that Etsuko and Tomokazu [Seki] to go learn English, I'll never know...
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:

Saturday Morning Cartoons are dead on Television, but if they play their cards right and actually cared about marketing, they could use Hulu, Neon Alley, Viz, etc. Saturday Morning Cartoons are more prominent if you use online.

Well I don't know Saturday Morning Cartoon will be more prominent online via streaming because those cartoon streaming on sites like Hulu, Netflix, Dramafever, and those sites you mention are on-demand meaning they can be watch whenever, wherever. So kids don't need to watch it on Saturday, they can watch it after school or after dinner and it doesn't have to be on a Saturday. Do you know what binge-watching is? I have a feeling this is going to become more common.

So Saturday morning cartoon are dead, and it wouldn't make sense for kid to watch cartoon online on Saturday when they can watch it whenever, wherever and it won't be on Saturday.

yappers4 wrote:

Another ANN user on another thread has your question answered for you:

enurtsol wrote:
Japan’s kids love game series Yo-Kai Watch, and one fan says it’s because grownups don't

• Still, until recently I hadn’t heard a single thing about Yo-Kai Watch, Japan’s current megahit among the elementary school set. At first I thought this was weird, but as it turns out Yo-Kai Watch’s popularity isn’t in spite of people in my age group not knowing about it, but because of it.

Of course, the core elements of building a fighting force of cherubic creatures sounds pretty similar to Pokémon. So why is it that in a recent poll by toymaker Bandai asking parents what their kids’ favorite series was, more than three times as many said Yo-Kai Watch as Pokémon?

Hoping to find out, Twitter user Utsuro-chan asked one young fan, who told him he prefers Yo-Kai Watch because adults don’t really know about it.

But how is that a positive? Yo-Kai Watch isn’t filled with graphic violence or sexual innuendo, so it’s not like the franchise flying under adults’ radar is secretly letting kids catch glimpses of things their parents would object. So what’s the advantage?

As the kid explained to Utsuro-chan:

“Yo-Kai watch doesn’t have annoying adult fans like Pokémon does.”

Adult fans of Pokémon and other ostensible “for kids” series have adult money, with Mom and Dad no longer in a position to impose limits on how much time or cash they can pump into their hobby. This sometimes leads to grownups snatching up all the latest toy models, or hogging arcade machines that, from their small-scale cabinets, are clearly meant for younger gamers. Some have even taken to calling these senior fans otomo, an abbreviated form of okii na tomodachi, meaning “grownup friends” or “big buddies.”

ParkerALx wrote:

mdo7 wrote:
Oh boy, good luck finding a US broadcaster to show Yo-kai Watch. Somebody might want to remind him that Saturday morning cartoon in US are dead already.

Last time I checked, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon and Disney's various cable channel's all still play cartoons. Not only on Saturday, but throughout the week. If Doraemon can air on Disney xd, anything is possible.

It still a slim chance though. As I said, more people are watching online.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
One of the few recent hit anime that could actually feasibly make it onto TV in countries outside of Japan and South-East Asia.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Very disappointed another show which celebrates Japanese culture will be whitewashed for the US audience once more. I also have to imagine the content cuts there will be given it has some fairly America-unfriendly humor like Jibanyan perving over NyaaKB gravure swimsuit posters and photo books, or Jinmenken being a drunk salaryman.

yappers4 wrote:

It's not very much like Pokemon at all. It has closer ties to Persona than Pokemon.

-Stuart Smith
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Very disappointed another show which celebrates Japanese culture will be whitewashed for the US audience once more. I also have to imagine the content cuts there will be given it has some fairly America-unfriendly humor like Jibanyan perving over NyaaKB gravure swimsuit posters and photo books, or Jinmenken being a drunk salaryman.

Uh, Pokemon went through that too when it first came out in the US, yet it still became popular in the US despite whatever edit and culture change it went through to it's US localization.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I'll be very interested in seeing whether Yo-Kai Watch manages to achieve the popularity it has in Japan. I admittedly have yet to watch or play Yo-Kai Watch, but on a first impression, Yo-Kai Watch looks distinctly more "Japanese" than Pokémon. Sure, Pokémon does have some species based on yokai (such as Froslass), but the franchise as a whole is more self-contained in its own universe. And also, will that put off non-Japanese children or won't they care?

In terms of distribution of the series, I think a TV broadcast should still be the best way to go in regards to giving the series exposure and advertising. However, that doesn't mean that on-demand services like Netflix should be ignored either; the two should be used in tandem.

ParkerALx wrote:

Japanese Kid wrote:

About fifteen years from now, that fan is going to wake up one morning, peel off his Yo-Kai Watch bedsheets and stumble towards the bathroom, where he will brush his teeth with his Jibanyan toothbrush. Then, he will look up into the mirror and recoil in horror at the sight - he has become an "annoying adult fan"!

Yo-Kai Watch has only been around for 3 year years compared to Pokémon's 18. It'll happen xD.

Last edited by Ryu Shoji on Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Anyway, I'll watch, as long as the dubbers don't pull an LBX (skip whole episodes, splice others, etc)

Did they really end up doing that? I only saw the "sneak peak" episode and it was terrible, but are we back to the days of splicing and skipping episodes again?

I could see them doing that for Youkai Watch though. Quite a number of episodes would probably be inappropriate for our censors, and the ways some of them are set up like the Jinmenken and Komasan storylines might be spliced together rather than being mixed in with other episodes just for the sake of making it more episodic/accessible to American audiences.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Well, at least Jibanyan and Whisper's names will remain unchanged, which is a good thing, considering that they're the mascots of the show.

Main leads seem to generally keep their names, which makes it really awkward to have clearly Japanese names next to a bunch of Americanized ones. I say if you're going to ethnically cleanse something, go all the way at least.

Ryu shoji wrote:
Yo-Kai Watch has only been around for 3 year years compared to Pokémon's 18. It'll happen xD.

Assuming Youkai Watch is still a thing. Level 5 have this bad habit of killing off their popular franchises after a few years.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:

Japanese Kid wrote:

About fifteen years from now, that fan is going to wake up one morning, peel off his Yo-Kai Watch bedsheets and stumble towards the bathroom, where he will brush his teeth with his Jibanyan toothbrush. Then, he will look up into the mirror and recoil in horror at the sight - he has become an "annoying adult fan"!

They're probably going to end up like them but replace Pokemon with Yo-kai Watch. You're right, I could imagine 15 years from now (if Yo-kai Watch's popularity remain high for many years), we could see Yo-kai watch's "annoying adult fan", the same "annoying adult fans" of Yo-kai Watch that claim Pokemon has too many adult fans 15 years earlier. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3