• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yu-Gi-Oh!, Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service Manga Get Omnibus Reissues

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
I was expecting Yugioh news this week(since the remaster airs Feb 7th), but not this. Still cool of Viz to do..
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:32 am Reply with quote
I suppose they're never going to release the bunkoban release in America. I really enjoy the redone artwork by Kazuki Takahashi. Then again, Kazuki Takahashi refuses to let his artwork be censored, which is why America has yet to get a few cards for the TCG like Magi Magi ☆ Magician Girl, or the Anniversary Art edition of Black Magicial Girl, which would both require censoring to be released in America.

-Stuart Smith
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:55 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I suppose they're never going to release the bunkoban release in America. I really enjoy the redone artwork by Kazuki Takahashi. Then again, Kazuki Takahashi refuses to let his artwork be censored, which is why America has yet to get a few cards for the TCG like Magi Magi ☆ Magician Girl, or the Anniversary Art edition of Black Magicial Girl, which would both require censoring to be released in America.

-Stuart Smith

Yet, somehow the censored Yu-Gi-Oh! manga that has been released here.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:43 am Reply with quote
Awesome news for Kurosagi! Hopefully this will draw in new fans who were hesitant to buy because of the prices of some volumes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:

-Stuart Smith

Yet, somehow the censored Yu-Gi-Oh! manga that has been released here.
I believe a lot of the censoring done by Viz, is done so without the consent of the original artists. This was the case for I"s, and Fullmetal Alchemist, and probably several other titles.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
And speaking of censoring, I the tireless anti-censorship advocate must wonder aloud if we won't be receiving uncensored art? Nah, I'm sure they'll pull a Dragon Ball yet again.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:
I believe a lot of the censoring done by Viz, is done so without the consent of the original artists. This was the case for I"s, and Fullmetal Alchemist, and probably several other titles.

I'm pretty sure Viz doesn't censor manga without approval of the original creator - IIRC Japanese copyright has some pretty strong protections for the original creator (to the point they can veto pretty much anything involving an adaptation). I doubt Shueisha would be OK with Viz trying to skirt around that...
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Maybe because Takahashi had assistants so the manga art isn't technically just his own? Or it's a recent practice he implemented with his newer artwork, perhaps as a response to seeing western companies censor his old artwork?

-Stuart Smith
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Maybe because Takahashi had assistants so the manga art isn't technically just his own? Or it's a recent practice he implemented with his newer artwork, perhaps as a response to seeing western companies censor his old artwork?

-Stuart Smith

The idea of manga-ka often having assistants, to me, would make more sense by acknowledging it by it saying "[artist/writer] and friends" on the cover.
Wildcat17

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
The Yu-Gi-Oh! omnibus have been announced some months ago.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:
Ryvius213 wrote:

I'm pretty sure Viz doesn't censor manga without approval of the original creator - IIRC Japanese copyright has some pretty strong protections for the original creator (to the point they can veto pretty much anything involving an adaptation). I doubt Shueisha would be OK with Viz trying to skirt around that...
I was always under the impression that much of the power went to the publishers, and Viz is owned by Shueisha, so... :\

I've been told that yugioh's artwork in the manga has been censored lightly(i.e. turning a middle finger into a fist), but I know for a fact that the mangaka, Takahashi Kazuki is very much against his artwork being censored and wouldn't approve of it. In a U.S. edition of a set of cards featuring his personal artwork, he preferred that they didn't release his rendition of Dark Magician Girl in the set at all than to release a censored version. That Japanese version of the same set got the card.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't aware the US version of the manga was censored, but I do know they changed a ton of the names and broke the series up into like 3 different series for some reason.

And yeah, Kazuki Takahashi is pretty strict about his art. Since his Duel Art is finally coming out in the US this year I assume it won't be edited, but they could always change the names to the 4Kids ones. Doesn't matter to me since I imported it a few years ago, but it'd be a shame for it to be altered like that.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
They branded the manga as 3 different series, but in terms of chronology and how they were split into volumes it's the same as the Japanese version.

Translations of names have actually been mostly kept intact, except one that I know of. Pegasus has been referred to by both his sub and dub name.(though usually there's no distinction between the two because he's just referred to as "Pegasus" most of the time) Card names usually changed to their dub counterparts, even though attack names didn't.(A pretty sloppy idea on their part, because there were times when they were forced to refer to cards by the Japanese names after establishing the dub name within the same page because of the context in which the characters said it; also it's a bit odd when, for example, Dark Magician used "Black Magic attack")
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Will the 3-in-1's be cheaper than the originals? If so, then I might just decide to pick these up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1