• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - MBQ

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
Felipe Smith is one artist that gives 0 f---s to what he does. 'Peepo Choo' was the first work of his I read. I could not stop laughing. I literally went out and bought all 3 vols. I even recommended it for our collection. I was curious to what else he had done, and that's when I came across MBQ. We got it in and I read it. I enjoyed it. It was nice to see that he had something else published in the states. So I'm hoping to have a chance to read something else he's done. I have to admit his imagery does vary a lot. I was just thinking back to when Simon Bizley was assigned to do the Lobo stories way back when and they later got Keith Giffen to illustrate a story and that had the madness of someone who had a cup of espresso laced crack with a dash of LSD. But yeah, Felipe Smith is just as insane with his work. It's got lots of black humor. I love it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I started with Peepo Choo as well, mostly because manga blogs I follow were all over it, and for good reason. Then I went back to read MBQ afterwards. It has a very similar style, that's for sure. I'm into gore, but tits? Not so much. But it's like he uses it as a parody about boobs in manga, and I can let that pass somehow. I should re-read MBQ. They both have themes of those anime and manga fans who are all talk, no action (though you have to feel bad for Milton, who is genuinely naive, but Jody is definitely a jerk). Though with Peepo Choo, it might be the reverse yakuza nerd instead (man is he funny!)

But yeah, Tokyopop did publish some good "OEL" (you forgot to mention Jen Lee Quick in there), but with all the garbage they published, it was easy to overlook MBQ, which probably looks the least manga-like to my teen superiority sensibilities. Then again, I don't think I would've appreciated it as a teen either, it's more complex than it looks.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
MBQ was that book I was thinking about getting when it came out, due to how insane it looked and how it was getting rave reviews. Then, I forgot about it, but Felipe Smith's name kept popping up every now and then. Interesting that MBQ managed to get a Japanese translation. Is it read left-to-right there?

I really should get to actualy reading it. It sounds like it's crass, shameless, and yet intelligent and insightful. Also sounds like the sort of thing Aaron McGruder would make if he were to to make graphic novels instead of comic strips.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:58 am Reply with quote
I've never read "MBQ" before. It wasn't where I went to see or read manga.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
Filipe Smith? Ghost Rider Filipe Smith? Might actually have to look for this when I have the chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1