• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyopop Plans Manga Publishing Relaunch, More Projects

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
> The company is seeking to license "hidden gems that are not yet noticed" from small or independent publishers.

I like this part the most. Hopefully, they find some worthy series to get them more noticed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
This is great news, I really hope they find a way to finish the D.N Angel manga. I absolutely loved that anime and was really sad they shut down and to this day the manga is unfinished Sad
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
Not sure how I feel about this. As long as they play their cards right, this might work out.

There isn't a whole lot of manga I want rescued, other than Vampire Princess Miyu (and New VPM). For some reason Tokyopop handled the ANIME with the manga going to some company called Studio I.C., who shut down halfway through releasing the series. I know the vampire craze is deader than disco, but that's an underrated gem with beautiful artwork I would love to see back.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
"The company is also planning an anime review YouTube series. " If it's just anime sure...but if they start reviewing manga that they themselves publish....lol. Or I guess, even anime based on that manga would still be..:\.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:15 am Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
This is great news, I really hope they find a way to finish the D.N Angel manga. I absolutely loved that anime and was really sad they shut down and to this day the manga is unfinished Sad

well the manga never finished because yukiru sugisaki puts so much of her mangas on eternal hiatuses that even make Yoshihiro Togashi blush, and DN angel manga is in Viz's hands now from what I remember
Brady Richards

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
Someone tell TokyoPop to license the greatness that is Rainbow Nisha.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The company is seeking to license "hidden gems that are not yet noticed" from small or independent publishers.

This sounds to me like, "We burned our bridges with the major publishers in Japan, so we need to find some new suckers."
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
DuchessBianca wrote:

well the manga never finished because yukiru sugisaki puts so much of her mangas on eternal hiatuses that even make Yoshihiro Togashi blush, and DN angel manga is in Viz's hands now from what I remember

ah I didn't know that as I just assumed due to TP going out of business at the time when vol 14 was up for pre-order that it as cancelled due to the bankruptcy. I think I might have heard before that Viz translated some unreleased ones online somewhere but no matter how much I google I still can't find it, if its true.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
ah I didn't know that as I just assumed due to TP going out of business at the time when vol 14 was up for pre-order that it as cancelled due to the bankruptcy. I think I might have heard before that Viz translated some unreleased ones online somewhere but no matter how much I google I still can't find it, if its true.

As far as I know, Viz has not done any newly-translated volumes for any of their Tokyopop rescues. All they've been doing is digital re-releases of already-translated content.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
Finish. Freaking. GETBACKERS!
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling that they will just use kickstarter to fund their original manga projects.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
I'll see how I feel about this in 2016. Sure, I already know how I, and many of us, feel about Stu Levy himself, but unless he employs underworld demons exclusively, I've no reason to be mad at the people he employs so unless it's a one-man operation, I'll try not to hate the company and just keep hating him. Just like everyone else.

But they could certainly stand to complete some things left over by both them and other companies. Like Demon Sacred, Song of the Hanging Sky, Cromartie High School, I'm sure I have a longer list. But I know I can count stuff like Future Diary, Viz has that now I believe, at least digitally.

But not even the news of Stu Levy potentially trying to troll us all again can make me sad after Sentai's amazing announcements.
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:55 am Reply with quote
I'd be wary buying any series from them. I don't want to be left in the lurch when they decide manga's dead or profitless (again). One-shots and artbooks I'd happily pick up from them.
Lutheos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:00 am Reply with quote
Does this mean i'll finally b able to get the rest of Gundam Ecole du Ciel? Awsome is so. Also hoping for the rest of the Full Metal Panic novels or maybe even the Full Metal Panic Sigma manga.
idioteva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
The titles everyone has mentioned in this thread are just a drop of all the titles left hanging to die. I don't trust Tokyopop with my money again and I feel sorry for any propoties they do pick up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8