• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toriko Manga Takes 1-Week Break Due to Author's Sudden Illness

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ichii_1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
A tragedy :'(
Unlike one piece, Toriko actually delivers each and every week without fail.
Truly remarkable that it's not getting it's just rewards :'(

Get better Shima <3
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
It does not add up that he has a "sudden illness" but they know for sure he will be back next week? Looks to me like your average japanese excuse, they can't admit when they fudge up.
Seska1973

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
It's okay, everyone can become sick. I just Hope it is really nothing serious, and 1 Week is nothing.
javierm885778

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
It does not add up that he has a "sudden illness" but they know for sure he will be back next week? Looks to me like your average japanese excuse, they can't admit when they fudge up.

One week is enough time to recover from an illness, at least enough to continue working. It's not something big enouhg so that they have to put the manga in an indefinite hiatus, that would be ridiculous. Besides, the Japanese love to overwork themselves, so having to take a break probably means that he is really sick.
Sunset In the Hood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

Why do I feel that this is coming from an American? And I didn't know that excuses can be categorised by nationality. Does a Mexican excuse have something to do with losing a piñata? Does a Chinese one have to do with eating chow mein?
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
So we meet again illness. I see you have a new hostage.

Get well.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
A Sudden Illness, as opposed to those other illness that give you 2 weeks notice.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Sunset In the Hood wrote:
Why do I feel that this is coming from an American? And I didn't know that excuses can be categorised by nationality. Does a Mexican excuse have something to do with losing a piñata? Does a Chinese one have to do with eating chow mein?

Because I live in said continent. No. I do not know.

But I do know that japanese can't just say "I have writers block" or "I overslept/got drunk" as an answer to "Why do did you miss your deadline?". I know a cartoonist, he delivers daily (not weekly) and one day he simply could not deliver the daily strip because he was receiving a prize for his work and could not return to his office in time. Did he said "I am ill"? NO. He already had the idea of what the strip would do about and asked a friend to draw it for him. Even if Torikos mangaka became ill there was no reason why his assistants (he should have 2-4) could not finish the work, he only needed to tell them what they needed to draw, or are we supposed to think he was unconscious all this time due to his illness?
Jajanken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Dang Its been a WHILE since I've heard anything toriko related.. Franchise just died off
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Jajanken wrote:
Dang Its been a WHILE since I've heard anything toriko related.. Franchise just died off

The anime is over so now the manga is just going to continue until it ends with little fanfare. It sells too well to be cancelled but not well enough to be big news.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
The anime is over so now the manga is just going to continue until it ends with little fanfare. It sells too well to be cancelled but not well enough to be big news.

There was a point where I think Toei were really trying to push it as the next One Piece, by having it do crossovers with One Piece and then one Piece and DBZ.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
CallumKeyblade wrote:

There was a point where I think Toei were really trying to push it as the next One Piece, by having it do crossovers with One Piece and then one Piece and DBZ.

it wasn't just Toei, it was also Shonen Jump them self's trying to push it, and then they realized that even Bleach and Gintama were selling a lot better then Toriko so now promotion goes to series like my hero academia, or Assassination Classroom
Wooga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Was it food poisoning?
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:07 am Reply with quote
Why is it that every column that brings news of a creaters illness all the over entitled arse holes come out of the wood work?

Get well soon, Shimabukuro, your series is always one of the highlights of the Jump for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1