• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Dragon Forces

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Souther

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
Not expecting much fighting games, if any from SNK's new ownership but we'll see. And does Aruze still own the rights to the Shadow Hearts series?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to get Dragon Quest Heroes, Builders, and XI for my handhelds, all 3 are all looking to be a good time. Right, I'm just playing Luminous Arc Infinity, it's not a bad game overall, the characters are nice, the theme songs of the idols are pretty good (I'm glad my copy also came with a CD and artbook) and the Live2D is decent, but it's a tad average in a few spots mainly in the battle system and the fact that Normal difficulty is very hard difficulty and easy is Children's difficulty. Also, that artstyle, it has the most gratuitous use of unusual pupils that it comes out as ridiculous and a bit hilarious.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Personally I'm looking forward to vestaria far more than the next fire emblem. Awekening made some substantial change to the formula (like letting you grind exp and the combining mechanic), so much that it didn't feel like a fire emblem game, I also think it was pretty ugly and am looking far forward to SNES graphic over feetless polygon.

The previous game, radiant dawn, which dates back to 2007 btw so not exactly steamrolling out those game, was quite frankly a disappointment on all front. While the gameplay was similar it made some amazingly dumb decision by giving you far superior troops in the middle of the game and then a steady supply of OP troops, making recruiting and proper leveling management near useless. Path of radiance was great (BTW came out 10 years ago), but right before you have sacred stone, which again huge difference to the formula.

Now awakening and SS can be considered great game, but they certainly don't scratch my fire emblem itch. One of the version of fate is supposedly more akin to old fire emblem, but then they have this weird scheme where they have multiple game, which will leave me feeling like I'm only getting half the story and most likely disappointed. So I'm not even sure I'll pick it up.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Personally I'm looking forward to vestaria far more than the next fire emblem. Awekening made some substantial change to the formula (like letting you grind exp and the combining mechanic), so much that it didn't feel like a fire emblem game, I also think it was pretty ugly and am looking far forward to SNES graphic over feetless polygon.

The feetless thing happened because the developers underestimated the potential of the 3DS "If" fixes this. As for Awakening being ugly take it you haven't played "Shadow Dragon" on the DS?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Not trying to be that guy here, but I honestly don't see the appeal in speed runs. It sucks all the fun out of playing the game.

SNK Playmore: I've been seeing people fondly remember King of Fighters '98 as the very best of the KoF line, being perfectly balanced in every way and very fun overall, with little that comes close in comparison.

Zeroigar: I'm surprised there's even a fan translation for an obscure game on an obscure system (and the fact hardly anyone owns either).

Dragon Quest: The next time Dragon Quest teams up with something out of the blue like Mario, they need to make it an RPG. In fact, that Fortune Street crossover between both franchises should have been an RPG. Considering Mario is no stranger to RPGs, I imagine an RPG crossover between his series and Dragon Quest would have been a lot of fun. Sorry to say, but a Japanese version of Monopoly is not very interesting.

LBX: This reminds me that LBX W will be airing this fall on Nicktoons, though after what I'd learned they'd done to the previous one (abridging 44 episodes to 26 episodes because of questionable content like guns and death), I'm a little hesitant to watch it despite I really like the dub cast.
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Quest IX was going to be am action-RPG till "fans" whined and Level 5 gave into them.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Dragon Quest IX was going to be am action-RPG till "fans" whined and Level 5 gave into them.

SE and action based RPG systems don't mix, it's one reason why FFXIII is terrible and XV won't be any better. It's fine for Dragon Quest builders as it's a very simple battle system but anything past that and it just get terrible quickly.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

LBX: This reminds me that LBX W will be airing this fall on Nicktoons, though after what I'd learned they'd done to the previous one (abridging 44 episodes to 26 episodes because of questionable content like guns and death), I'm a little hesitant to watch it despite I really like the dub cast.

Provided the next season is "really" 26 episodes and mimics what they did on Season 1, expect about 32 episodes removed and/or merged.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
Provided the next season is "really" 26 episodes and mimics what they did on Season 1, expect about 32 episodes removed and/or merged.

That's literally what I just said, which is why I'm hesitant to see it.
B00m23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
IanC wrote:

SE and action based RPG systems don't mix, it's one reason why FFXIII is terrible and XV won't be any better. It's fine for Dragon Quest builders as it's a very simple battle system but anything past that and it just get terrible quickly.

Um, no. The Kingdom Hearts series, Crisis Core, Type-0, Crystal Chronicles, The World Ends With You, and Secret of Mana were all pretty great thank you very much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1