• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Love Live! Film Tops Evangelion: 1.0 Ticket Sales in S. Korea

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MysticLeviathan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:54 am Reply with quote
It's amazing how big of a juggernaut Love Live has become.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
can you guys stop writing these articles already? i think we get the idea by now.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote
MysticLeviathan wrote:
It's amazing how big of a juggernaut Love Live has become.

And I love every bit of it Anime smile Though my poor wallet and all the amazing figures and merchandise that exists and that I own Anime cry
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:17 am Reply with quote
Please continue to list every single country that the Love Live movie becomes the top selling Japanese animated movie. This is exactly the news that I go on ANN for. 86,000 tickets? That's over a billion won. And who can argue with a billion? That's a big number.

I do believe Spirited Away earned around 15 billion won though. The article could use some refinement when it comes to what exactly the Love Live movie has accomplished in terms of the "highest amount of tickets sold in the country"
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:42 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
can you guys stop writing these articles already? i think we get the idea by now.

No. I don't think so. We need to drum in the idea that moe has become a worldwide-phenomenon and is not just a "creepy Japanese otaku thing"
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:09 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

2.60 billion yen (about US$3.24 million)

2.60 billion yen is about US$21.8 million

Actar wrote:
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

No. I don't think so. We need to drum in the idea that moe has become a worldwide-phenomenon and is not just a "creepy Japanese otaku thing"

CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:28 am Reply with quote
I finally managed to see the movie yesterday at the Edinburgh screening and it definitely managed to live up to my very high expectations. I am happy that the movie is doing so well in South Korea! It deserves all the success it has achieved.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote
I find it awesome that Love Live is becoming a worldwide trend! Very Happy
gtmvanity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:38 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

Except, people will still regard it as otaku loli shite like they do now. heck, the number of people who think that will rise more and more as Love Live becomes bigger outside of Japan. I don't mind love live much, its really shocking how popular it has gotten in he past few years but I do think more popularity for LL = 10x the stereotypical insults and so on.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
gtmvanity wrote:
Except, people will still regard it as otaku loli shite like they do now. heck, the number of people who think that will rise more and more as Love Live becomes bigger outside of Japan. I don't mind love live much, its really shocking how popular it has gotten in he past few years but I do think more popularity for LL = 10x the stereotypical insults and so on.

I hate when people call Love Live! a loli series because it is absolutely not. Not sure if it's because people don't know what loli means, don't know anything about Love Live!, or both.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
Just because something's popular, doesn't make it good. Quality is based on a variety of variables. Popularity and sales are not part of those variables. If they were, then Avatar, Justin Bieber and Star Wars Episode I would be among the greatest pieces of media of all times instead of being scrutinized for the pieces of garbage they are.

I'm just saying. Who here likes Justin Bieber? He's a phenomenon everywhere, including our beloved Japan (more so than Love Live) but is he really a good musician? Think about it.
otagirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:55 am Reply with quote
I dont think quality is the point here. Its the social perception on the acceptability of anime as part of a decent subculture and not basement dwelling paedophiles.

Im all for keeping updated on the news. Just make sure the flippin figures are correct geez.
And for those who dont want to keep up to date. Just ignore it. Dont clamour to deprive the rest of us of the information.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:56 am Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
I hate when people call Love Live! a loli series because it is absolutely not. Not sure if it's because people don't know what loli means, don't know anything about Love Live!, or both.

The anime community is a great one and with many nice people however the very loud vocal minority that seems to be the ones to be heard the most are some of the most disgusting, toxic people out there from any community best to just ignore them Anime smile

(No I am not talking about anyone in this thread ^-^)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Just because something's popular, doesn't make it good. Quality is based on a variety of variables. Popularity and sales are not part of those variables. If they were, then Avatar, Justin Bieber and Star Wars Episode I would be among the greatest pieces of media of all times instead of being scrutinized for the pieces of garbage they are.

I'm just saying. Who here likes Justin Bieber? He's a phenomenon everywhere, including our beloved Japan (more so than Love Live) but is he really a good musician? Think about it.

Well, if something is popular, there has to be at least one good thing about it. (I also liked Avatar, if you're talking about the James Cameron movie.) Otherwise, people would not go and consume it in the quantity that they do. In the case of Avatar, there were many other options for movies people could've watched when it was in theaters, yet a lot of people chose to ignore all of the other movies and watch only Avatar and cried afoul when the Oscars did not consider it for Best Picture, for one.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
gtmvanity wrote:

I don't know, Nozomi sexually assaulting the other characters as a joke doesn't seem like something meant to appeal to the general public. The show isn't outright open lolicon or anything like that, it's not that bad, but the target audience is very, very clear.

That's not the point, though. Whether it's a good show or a bad show and who it's meant to appeal to doesn't really matter to me. Publishing an article every two days about this movie making a lot of money is repetitive, uninteresting and grating - and personally, depressing. If you really have to, ANN, just make one article and update it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2