• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japan's New Holiday Snack: Strawberry Shortcake Potato Chips

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Ano...janai desu.

I'll stick with BBQ, thanks. Frito Lay does come up with some weird flavors too though. Are they still doing that contest thing where people try a flavor then vote?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
Well... With chocolate-flavored potato chips being made, I don't see how strawberry shortcake-flavored chips would have a bad taste. I think sweet flavors work well with potato chips...for the most part, anyway.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:38 am Reply with quote
I look forward to seeing this at Japanese import stores around here. I missed out on that experimental capuccino Lay's flavor as a contest finalist because I thought salty coffee must be nasty, but it didn't occur to me until way later that they might have actually been sweet.

Usagi-kun wrote:
Ano...janai desu.

I'll stick with BBQ, thanks. Frito Lay does come up with some weird flavors too though. Are they still doing that contest thing where people try a flavor then vote?

Yep, and for once, all four of the finalists for this most recent one were good. (They were gyro, reuben, truffle fries, and biscuits and gravy. It was hard to track down all four flavors though; most places where I live sold out within a matter of hours. I voted for biscuits and gravy, as it's subdued but the flavor goes with the potato the best.) The winner hasn't been announced yet though, and the Frito-Lay website's real-time voting results showed all four of them reasonably close to each other.

It looks like this is going to be a yearly thing now. I think I'll submit something next time, now that I know there'll be a next time: spoiler[chicken tikka masala]
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I look forward to seeing this at Japanese import stores around here. I missed out on that experimental capuccino Lay's flavor as a contest finalist because I thought salty coffee must be nasty, but it didn't occur to me until way later that they might have actually been sweet.

The best Lays this year, in my opinion, was the Ruben Sandwich. None of them hold a candle to last years winner Soy & Wasabi.

We've got this year's Christmas specials which are Dark Chocolate & Milk Chocolate dipped Wavy Lays. Those are quite good, the sweet & salty do work well together.

Mark Gosdin
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:

We've got this year's Christmas specials which are Dark Chocolate & Milk Chocolate dipped Wavy Lays. Those are quite good, the sweet & salty do work well together.

Mark Gosdin

Royce have had chocolate covered potato chips for a while:

http://www.royceaustraliapacific.com/products/potato-chip-chocolate
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
I thought it was going to be an article about this Strawberry Shortcake:

yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
Reminds me of the Apple chips my elementary school would give students to eat with their lunch during the fall. As much as I love Strawberry shortcake I think I'll stick with my BBQ Grippos, God's gift to the Chip industry!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
No thanks. If I want something that tastes like strawberry shortcake, then I'll just eat some strawberry shortcake.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I don't why anyone would want such a flavor.

Eating food that has flavors that contrast one another is delicious.
I don't know about Japanese cuisine, but Sicilian cuisine has lots of dishes that are mixtures of sweet and bitter flavors.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
The winners of the Lay's potato chip contests get their flavor distributed pretty much everywhere. Even small, locally-owned markets around here carry the Bacon Mac & Cheese flavor, for instance (which I believe was the first winner).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1