• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Umi Monogatari Sub.DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
I'll have you know that Ken Muramatsu also did a really nice job with the soundtrack for Sketchbook ~Full Color's~, which might not have the ethreal qualities that the soundtrack for this series has, but is still a really nice collection of mildly jazzy house band pieces. (Yes, I have both soundtracks on CD. Razz )
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
You'd never think that this anime was to promote a chain of pachinko stores. No, seriously, the heroine is the mascot for a chain of pachinko stores, and this anime was made to promote her. Quite an awesome job for such a cheap tie in. Smile

I love Sketchbook and its OST too!! I have them as well. ^^
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Nice review of a criminally underseen series! I watched it when it first came out because of Junichi Sato's involvement, and a lot of Aria is evident in Umi Monogatari's pace and tone (although Umi Monogatari rather surprisingly deals with much more serious topics). I'll never forget that this show is how I learned about the immortal jellyfish.

Episodes 11 and 12 do pack a shocking emotional punch, my favorite element of which is the revamped opening sequence for episode 12: we see the same series of shots that the regular opener employs, but rendered in the purple-tinged darkness of Sedna's eternal night, and entirely lacking the characters the shots typically feature. It's menacing, yet in its desolate sorrow it finds a strange beauty. The sequence ends with a clever and heartbreaking visual reference to the meeting between Marin and Kanon, now warped to take on a more somber tone. And most importantly, it's accompanied by a breathtakingly melancholy acoustic rendition of marble's "violet," one that has never been released on any of their CDs. (I have to confess that I ripped the number from the episode to put it on my MP3 player—I wish I could buy it!)

I can't think of any other anime that's played with its standard opening sequence to such incredible emotional effect, and for that alone Umi Monogatari will always be a must-watch for me.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
This review has made up my mind. Next time I import some anime through RightStuf (which may be soon, I want Zakuro, Library Wars, and The World of Narue), I will be adding this anime to my order.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1