• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD's Doraemon Adaptation to Run in Japan With Bilingual Tracks

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:07 am Reply with quote
So, the Japanese are dubbing a dub? You know, at least when they dubbed "Power Rangers," it made sense because some seasons had different plots from the original Sentai.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
This isn't going to end well in Japan...
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:42 am Reply with quote
I have to say I did not see this one coming I wonder how it's going to turn out. Confused
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile UK Boomerang is airing proper dub for selected episodes (licensed from LUK, just like European Disney channels), albeit probably slightly cut here and there.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
I'm beginning to think Disney might be interested in buying the Doraemon franchise as a whole in a few years (at least in Japan). As a former Walt Disney World cast member (hence the name), I think it would be a great idea to add a Doraemon meet-and-greet to the Tomorrowland section of Tokyo Disneyland. I think it might be interesting to see a TDL advertisement featuring Doraemon and Mickey Mouse together. Of course, that's all a crazy hypothetical. But hey, it could happen.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
I believe the correct term to use in this situation is 'Dub-ception'

I mean, wow. This sure is an... interesting idea. I'm not even sure what to say.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:44 am Reply with quote
Interesting... A Japanese version of Disney X.D.'s Americanized English version of Doraemon. I wonder how the Japanese viewers will react now that they have a chance of seeing it.
Dlancy1096

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
Meanwhile UK Boomerang is airing proper dub for selected episodes (licensed from LUK, just like European Disney channels), albeit probably slightly cut here and there.

Obviously the Japanese don't have a problem with it being edited. They're the ones who made the changes themselves.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
TV Asahi must be really proud of the English dub of Doraemon. Not only is it airing on Disney Channel Japan, but they also commissioned a re-recorded Japanese dub of the English dub. Not fully sure what to think of it, but it's funny that this re-recorded dub is going to have the character name changes from the English dub.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
This is blowing my mind. Its kind of...unnecessary? I can understand airing the English dub, but redubbing it from the English? So completely alien, I love it! Would love to have seen a take on this with 4Kids dubs and see how they would react.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
I can't imagine any logical reason for this apart from some internal rules on Disney Channel Japan that say that any programming must air with a Japanese dub in addition to any english track (since most of the programming they air is originally in english, that rule kind of makes sense).
So Disney, in order to air it in Japan, might have had to pay for the Japanese redub. But that doesn't explain why they want to air it in Japan in the first place. I mean, it's not THAT different... maybe they think Japanese parents will try and get their kids to watch it because it'll help them learn english?
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
This redubbing business has been done before. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers' first season got dubbed into Japanese. Of course, that was much more adaptation than translation, but hey.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Per it's ANN Encyclopedia entry, a "dub" will add sound to a video. Henceforth, all anime is dubbed. So, I see it the options as such: the Japanese re-dub of an English dub that was derived from the original Japanese dub or an English dub that was derived from the original dub.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Lupin the Third wrote:
This redubbing business has been done before. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers' first season got dubbed into Japanese. Of course, that was much more adaptation than translation, but hey.
Power rangers is a different case, because they took the sentai footage and made it into a different show. Doremon was a stright up dubbed version with some Americanization
Blue21

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Why would they inflict this on themselves? They already have the original material, tailored to their culture, without any inane American censorship.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3