• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Interview: Return to PopoloCrois

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I just wrapped up my first play-through of FE:Fates and had no real problem, the Face thing is there for your spouse and some of the Dialogue they changed seem fair enough.

ON the Bravely Second stuff, I've heard rumors that the supposed cut Sidequest paths are actually just a glitch and not a cut, can't confirm or deny that but i did see it floating around a few places.

The Artbook thing, that's just sad, there is no reason to be cutting content from physical bonuses during a localization, Unless it was something that had to be cut to make the product legal in a region. All this "Censorship"(A word that get's mixed up with "Localization" a little too much IMO) is almost all from Nintendo.

I saw a post from Liam of TwoBestFriendsPlay saying that it is Nintendo not Square making the changes and that this might end up screwing up Fire Emblem X SMT big time, possibly even covering the bodies of the Personas.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
COLECO CHAMELEON COURTS CONTROVERSY, COVERTLY CONCEALS CAPTURE CARD

Nice, but you might trying a little too hard now. (Is there some journalism class that teaches people to do these things?)
StregaMember08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
The puzzling thing about Bravely Seconds potential censorship regarding side quests is that they from what I've heard aren't really much worse than some of the stuff the game has in its main story, and Default had some real doozies in terms of content.
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
I saw a post from Liam of TwoBestFriendsPlay saying that it is Nintendo not Square making the changes and that this might end up screwing up Fire Emblem X SMT big time, possibly even covering the bodies of the Personas.

After everything that has happened, one would have to be quite optimistic to think that SMT x FE would be released in America unscathed. Censoring artbooks is a new low to me, and a fear I've always had which is why I only buy imported art books in the first place. I think Bravely Default 2 is an example of the slippery slope fallacy being true. The first game had some costume tweaks and removal, and people accepted it so now they're trying to see what more they can get away with.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Black Rose Valkyrie: This actually does look pretty interesting from the screenshots. It might be something worth getting if it gets localized. Yet another reason to get a PS4, provided it gets a release overseas.

Bravely Second: End Layer:

1. I was going to ask if Native Americans are still getting offended over this sort of stuff, but I changed my mind after reading this: http://www.refinery29.com/2016/01/100504/chris-hemsworth-native-american-racist-instagram

It does beg the question as to why the Native Americans aren't getting mad at the Japanese for portraying their culture like this. I guess it's just easier to scream at and sue companies in North America, where everyone's close enough to be brought to court, even though the North American publishers have nothing to do with the original content of a Japanese-developed game.

2. Wow, seriously? They removed stuff from the artbook now? I have to admit this nation certainly has gotten sunburn-sensitive over the years, but this is just really stupid. It sounds like we're devolving further into a nation that has to revoke freedom from various media because some random clown thinks the content will be offensive. It's even worse when said random clown thinks the content will offend someone other than themselves, which is really none of their business. What next? Are we going to return to banning books again for having controversial things in them?

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
a Monster Hunter Generations and Fire Emblem crossover

Oh wonderful, another bad idea for a so-called "crossover". Can't wait to see how this one goes. To be fair, I had no hope or expectations for the Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem project, especially after they kept silent about it for a long time, and then finally showed us quite possibly the worst idea for a crossover thus far. I don't know why Japan can't just do a crossover that's actually a crossover and not just one game borrowing elements and ideas from another's universe.

I don't think that's meant to be a crossover game but rather just some collaboration costumes. MHX (the game Generations is expected to be a localization of) has plenty of them already.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yet I also realize that those days are over, and I already have too many old game consoles and carts clogging up my living space. I didn't want a Chameleon in the first place, and now I'm not sure anyone does.

Just fasten a Raspberry Pi into a hollow NES shell like the rest of us! The results may be rough, ungainly and ill-conceived, but fittingly, so are we.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I don't think that's meant to be a crossover game but rather just some collaboration costumes. MHX (the game Generations is expected to be a localization of) has plenty of them already.

Yeah, I just realized it could just be some promotional costumes or something (since they love to use the Company A x Company B schtick a lot in advertising and it's generally just merchandise or DLC of some kind).
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
After having found out that the game of Bravely Second has been mercilessly censored, I had a bad feeling that the censorship would spread over to the artbook. The appalling levels of gaming censorship has gotten so incredibly bad that people even asked The Pokémon Company if they and Game Freak would be in charge of the localization of Pokémon Sun and Moon.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Riddle me this, Batman. If people scream for diversity and games, and when diversity does show up you get Native Americans getting ushered out the door for white American cowboys no less, how is diversity supposed to happen? Does this also mean Red XIII is in danger of being censored in the FF7 remake as well?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
That Coleco Chameleon smelled of snake oil when it was the Retro VGS, really, it's impractical to have a cartridge based, current gen system with no patches especially since currently available games were planned to ported to it and many of those have patches and DLC, impossible to implement on that piece of junk. Also, the prototypes were exposed 3 times for being fakes. The team are also censoring tyrants who can't handle criticism or even damage control properly.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Seems like the censorship will only get worse, if they keep making money off it. I am sure there are plenty of people, like our reviewer, who are happy with the censorship. Sad really.

Chester McCool wrote:
Riddle me this, Batman. If people scream for diversity and games, and when diversity does show up you get Native Americans getting ushered out the door for white American cowboys no less, how is diversity supposed to happen? Does this also mean Red XIII is in danger of being censored in the FF7 remake as well?

They just want to stay out of the Native American controversies. Non-authentic depictions of Native American's are a PC no-no now. No Halloween costumes, no sport's names, or any other type of appropriations.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm only familiar with PopoloCrois through the anime. Shame the first two games weren't released in English.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

They just want to stay out of the Native American controversies. Non-authentic depictions of Native American's are a PC no-no now. No Halloween costumes, no sport's names, or any other type of appropriations.

Funny we still have The Cleveland Indians and Washington Redskins still named as.....The Cleveland Indians and Washington Redskins....along with Johnny Depp portraying Tonto in "The Lone Ranger" movie....because.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I've been looking for an excuse all day just to post this image. It seems like a perfect as any since people are okay with bravery default two being "localized" for a western release.

Just keep in mind that this is just a localization call and not censorship. Anyone who brings up the "censorship" defense have no idea what that world truly means.

Edit: Please keep in mind I was being sarcastic here. It's always dumbfounded that x group of people are okay if something gets self censored because they don't like it. However when it happens to a t.v. show or anime statue "that's not kid friendly", said group get's up in arms over said self censorship.

TL;DR the point I'm trying to make is this you can't have it both ways either is's self censorship or it's not. There is no two way road here, i'm sorry.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4