• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Psycho-Pass 2 BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:05 am Reply with quote
A triple F! I was reminded to exams
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:27 am Reply with quote
Good review this was a series I missed the first time around feels like I didn't miss much
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:34 am Reply with quote
I was in I Want To Believe mode about this show for the longest time, mainly because Akane is such a great character, but yep, this season lets her and everyone else down. The movie was sort of therapeutic after this - more of a clear hold on the series' strengths (obviously, being Urobuchi's own continuation and all).

It sure seems like the idea is that there will be more after this, but I wonder if this season did any damage - I don't know how it was received in Japan.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:55 am Reply with quote
"Narrative is a total failure in all respects."

I could not agree more. I found myself becoming frustrated with this show, and I think the reason why is at least partly because the original series never really explained why people could evade the supposedly infallible Sibyl system, and I get the feeling that this second version is giving me the same runaround. Sibyl is supposed to be perfect, yet so many people can gleefully dance around it that it is in danger of being reduced to a joke, and I doubt if the plot of PP as a whole could survive that happening. There has to be some resolution to the basic problem that despicable criminals play an essential part in the operation of the system that is supposed to guarantee law and order, but I didn't see any sign of that happening. Also, PP2 wasn't all that novel. We seem to get the usual behind-the-scenes genius using ordinary petty criminals to do his work theme, just like in season one. Progress towards an explanation of what's going on is slow, and given the way PP1 wound up I can't help feeling we may never get one anyhow--or, if we do, that it won't be worth the time that I have invested in watching. Fool me once, shame on you, etc. The violence is disturbing, yet the show feels melodramatic and even corny at times. I don't like the way this Kamui person is being painted as a cool anti-hero, much like the villain in PP1. This guy can screw around with Sibyl at will, and apparently I'm supposed to be thrilled by that, but I don't want another subordinate villain, I want to know what the dark secret behind how Sibyl itself operates is. I was frustrated by a certain stunt which was employed in episode six and how when Akane finally had a chance to nail Kamui, she couldn't bring herself to do so. The team seems to be fighting with one hand--sometimes it seems like both hands--tied behind their backs, and that annoys me. Was I the only person who felt this way? I almost felt as if PP2 was laughing at me, and enjoying how much it could string me along without having to deliver any really high quality material. A highly violent but nonsensical battle made me so angry that I decided to ditch PP2. The original series had set a fairly high bar for PP2 to jump over, and it finally dawned on me that it couldn't do it.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
A complete slam, and completely fair. The most "fun" part about watching this series until the end was reading the weekly reviews (by Jacob, if I remember correctly?). I probably would have settled for something slightly less disastrous as an F because of... no, I admit defeat. This was a very bad, very empty, nonsensical continuation of something that simply shouldn't have been turned into a franchise after that wonderful, perfect, very Urobuchi-esque final episode fittingly titled "Perfect World", perfectly reflecting Nick's statement:

Quote:
Urobuchi's works may be heavy, but there is a brightness in them that reflects his fundamental belief in the human soul. I see no such soul in Psycho-Pass 2.

It's like the second season decided to take this weird little thing called essence and flush it down the toilet after examining it for a whole of 5 seconds and deciding this was going to be too complicated to care about in any way.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
The legendary "F"! It really exists!
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
there are good things in pp2, but the bad things pretty much make them dissapear, tow ubukata's initial idea of "can a system made to judge individuals judge groups of people/society?", which was a very nice place to take the series, but lots and lots of wrong things happened so that aproach got lost; the person who has the highest recorded psycho pass ever, yet still acts normal would have been a good thing to explore and answer correctly.

and boy, were teh answers correctly, from the " a person made of multiple person's organs accurately reflects society" or" sybil will just magically update itself" stupid as F answers to the first theme, to "sybil is the mom of the guy who acts normal" it was infuriating. and the less we mention how often it broke the rules the better (and I personally love when a spin off plays with the main series rules , like all the fun stuff kazumi magica did with madoka's/urobuchi rules)
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
It sure seems like the idea is that there will be more after this, but I wonder if this season did any damage - I don't know how it was received in Japan.

In terms of disc sales season 2 averaged a healthy 7,026 units sold per volume. Season 1 averaged 9,285. I think it is fair to say that season 2 did not damage the reputation of Psycho-Pass in Japan.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
I don't think I've ever seen such a severe case of critical whiplash as I've seen with Psycho Pass. It goes from one of the critical darlings to one of the most despised shows around. Which is also what happened to Ubukata (his clumsy attempt at Ghost in the Shell also not helping) with events since then making people look at him in an even worse light. The movie will only create further whiplash.
ChocolateBar_99

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
I don't think I've ever seen a fanbase as hypocritical and shallow as this one and the overtly negative response towards Psycho Pass S2 shortcomings despite it being the exact same shortcomings as the first season is the biggest double standard since Eva fans slamming 3.0. You're fine with something as dumb as brains in a jar but you draw the line with someone having nine brains. You're fine with a villain who beats you the narrative directly citing literature you read in high school but you hate a villian who represents society in itself judging the system that refuses to judge itself. In the end you're just looking for a check list anime without realizing you're praising and criticizing the same damn thing. It's like all the producers had to do is put Urobuchi's name on it and you'll blindly praise S2 like you did S1. Rolling Eyes
Videogamep

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
ChocolateBar_99 wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen a fanbase as hypocritical and shallow as this one and the overtly negative response towards Psycho Pass S2 shortcomings despite it being the exact same shortcomings as the first season is the biggest double standard since Eva fans slamming 3.0. You're fine with something as dumb as brains in a jar but you draw the line with someone having nine brains. You're fine with a villain who beats you the narrative directly citing literature you read in high school but you hate a villian who represents society in itself judging the system that refuses to judge itself. In the end you're just looking for a check list anime without realizing you're praising and criticizing the same damn thing. It's like all the producers had to do is put Urobuchi's name on it and you'll blindly praise S2 like you did S1. Rolling Eyes

Oh, get over it. Season 2 was a clear step down from season 1 in multiple ways. The ending didn't make much sense given the rules previously established, and most of the secondary characters were much weaker than season 1. I constantly hear people say that critics/audiences only like Urobuchi shows because they like Urobuchi, but have you ever considered that the reason people like Urobuchi is because he writes good shows in the first place? I enjoyed season 2 overall and even I admit it wasn't as good as season 1. As for Eva, I first watched the original series a few weeks ago and then watched the rebuilds and I had the exact same problems with 3.0 that everyone else did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen such a severe case of critical whiplash as I've seen with Psycho Pass. It goes from one of the critical darlings to one of the most despised shows around.

You seem to conveniently omit that there are two separate tv seasons. The first season is critically acclaimed because it is a greatly made show. Season 2 is disliked because it is not well made. Remember, there are 2 seasons, not a single season composed of 33 episodes.

AiddonValentine wrote:
The movie will only create further whiplash.

Not really. The reception of the movie has been positive from what I have seen.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Except that's what I meant by whiplash. First season loved, second season despised, and now back to loved. Pretty weird journey for the franchise and goes to show how a different showrunner (and a different animation company) can throw a wrench into matters to the point where the movie essentially ignores season 2. Makes me wonder why they even bothered.
ChocolateBar_99

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen such a severe case of critical whiplash as I've seen with Psycho Pass. It goes from one of the critical darlings to one of the most despised shows around.

You seem to conveniently omit that there are two separate tv seasons. The first season is critically acclaimed because it is a greatly made show. Season 2 is disliked because it is not well made. Remember, there are 2 seasons, not a single season composed of 33 episodes.

As critically acclaimed as every Urobuchi work i.e. people who like Urobuchi are vocal about liking it while everyone else don't care same thing with Yuri Kuma, Junketsu Maria, Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū.
angelmcazares wrote:

AiddonValentine wrote:
The movie will only create further whiplash.

Depends on where you go really. Most people thought it was just as disappointing as season 2, others think its good because they're drones.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
You seem pretty vocal and dedicated yourself. Maybe you could try not insulting people who don't share your opinion?

A "drone".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4