• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kiznaiver

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this show.

The comedy is a bit of a hit or miss imo and much more than I had expected. Although based on the contents of the first two episodes, I expect pacing to pick up soon. Episode 2's ending also has me quite interested in one of the characters.

Oh and neat OP song.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I just watched episode 2. I am liking some of the stuff I am seeing, but I remain cautiously optimistic about how good can this show really be. A B sounds like a fair grade.
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I think your review hit the nail on the head. So far this is my favorite show of the season but it could go south in so many ways. I'm just hoping they'll announce how many episodes it'll have soon because trying to make a single-cour juggling around 8 characters could be completely hit or miss (and judging by what I've heard about Okada's longer shows, if it's more than 1-cour that would ALSO be hit or miss).
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I know this and The Lost Village are regarded as "Mari Okada shows," but I'm curious to know her exact level of involvement with both projects. Did she develop the core concepts and/or series outlines and leave script-writing duties in the hands of other scribes - or is she actually penning every script for both shows?
Muffum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm not totally sure why, but I ended up enjoying the second episode a lot more than the first. I think at least part of it is the greater amount of incidental dialogue between the characters, since a lot of the first episode was focused on Katsuhira and Sonozaki's conversation, which felt like it was more about themes the show was trying to convey than the characters themselves. But then I also felt the emotional plot beats in the second episode hit their mark better, and I can't really think of a reason why I'd think that.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I just have a lot of questions about the Kiznaiver program itself. It seems like they grabbed a handful of random teenagers, and then started torturing them into becoming better people. I have to wonder, what adult signed off on this? Are they going to keep torturing these poor kids or is something else gonna happen?

Silliness aside, this show is gorgeous. Still watching it, despite the weirdness.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I know this and The Lost Village are regarded as "Mari Okada shows," but I'm curious to know her exact level of involvement with both projects. Did she develop the core concepts and/or series outlines and leave script-writing duties in the hands of other scribes - or is she actually penning every script for both shows?
The scripts for both episodes of Kiznaiver and all three episodes of The Lost Village that have been aired so far are credited to her alone. Doesn't necessarily mean that it will stay that way (more than half of the episodes in Iron-Blooded Orphans were written by other writers, plus three episodes where Okada shares the script credit with someone else), but the fact that she's doing series composition for both shows means that there likely won't be a situation like Urobuchi's "involvement" in Aldnoah.Zero or Gunslinger Stratos (both series composed by other writers, the latter without any actual scripts by him).
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I just watched episode 2. I am liking some of the stuff I am seeing, but I remain cautiously optimistic about how good can this show really be. A B sounds like a fair grade.

Yeah, there's a lot of potential here and the Trigger's art has so much personality and looks gorgeous as mentioned, but I'm still wondering what type of show this is going to be.
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I expect the show to go south like her works usually do. I was really into Wixoss especially episode 8 then she ruined it. Seeing as how we got such an emotionally charged episode so early i think the best thing to do would be to end it at 12/13 episodes. Not usually a fan of the style trigger employs but this show is beautiful. The colours and charcter designs are just amazing. This thing actually looks nicer than grimgar.

With all that said i think the show is surprisingly good so far. I'm hoping that the revelation at the end leads to some interesting reactions.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this is only a 1-cour, I don't think the premise has enough fuel to last for longer than that. That said, I think episode 2 was a definite step up, even if it did seem a little fast. I'll stick around, because I feel like this show has a lot of potential and I am interested in seeing where it goes with its themes.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Is there a new Boom Boom Satellites album coming out with this song?
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I think that this episode fails at taking itself seriously. While I really liked the premise when first watched it and was interested in it (still am), I sort of feel mentally frustrated.

Maybe it could be her design (she looks like Esdeath so much), but Sonozaki is failling in her role of scaring the characters or the audience for that matter, and the writing overall is not helping her.

Let's get to the writing part; exlcuding Chi-chan's case (forgot her full name), all of these "things I don't want to say" are more like "Things hope nobody knows", like the fear of dogs, your appeareance as a middle schooler, or the most ridiculous one: Nico not believing in fairies. Not only that, except the dog-guy case, I feel this was more played for laughs rather than showing the weak side of the characters. I expected Sonozaki to interrogue them ala psychoanalysis style until they tell what they unconsciously denied, not what they consciously hide for shame.

Therefore, Sonozaki is basically the girl pulling the button, but not being actually relevant with the cast except the main character. The only thing we have going for her is that she knows something we don't and maybe her deadpan face for everything.

To be clear on why I think Chi's case is the best portrayed, it's because she says "I don't know" at first, she does, but she doesn't realize that, for the fear of hurting Katsuhira and hurting herself, she doesn't want to know until situation calls for her to say it and ultimately cry because the process up to that point is very cathartic. Other than that, the final reveal was obvious from the get-go and too edgy for me, I guess.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed it so far, but they way everyone reacted to Sonozaki in episode 2 kind of annoyed me. If I were in that situation, I'd be really really pissed off. They just seemed a little too passive about the situation they were in, which isn't usually a good sign. Stories tend to be better when the main cast is proactive, or at least has a strong reason not to be. It still seems like it has potential, though. Kiznaiver strikes me as the kind of show that, good or bad, will at the very least be interesting the entire way through.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:34 am Reply with quote
Showing their hand early? I think that we are just getting started. Kokoro Connect also had a group of teenagers connected together where their secrets are revealed fairly early on, but there was more to their characters than some small secret.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:32 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one's had a seizure from the OP yet.

Yuta, one of the less obvious recycled designs, keeps reminding me of Ragyo Kiryuin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8