• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NBCUniversal Concludes US$3.8 Billion Deal to Acquire DreamWorks Animation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:58 am Reply with quote
Whoa!
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:52 am Reply with quote
OK, so we get a Voltron Adventure attraction at Universal Orlando. That would be interesting. Wink

Mark Gosdin
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:29 am Reply with quote
Well, at least the Voltron cartoon will look good.

Is it bad I'm hyped for it since it's the first thing the Avatar people have done off the leash of the two head writers?
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh, my. I'm honestly not sure what to think about this. Although I haven't enjoyed Dreamworks Animation's last few films like their others, I haven't much cared for any of Illumination Entertainment's. I really hope they don't end up merging the two as a result of this.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
Oh, my. I'm honestly not sure what to think about this. Although I haven't enjoyed Dreamworks Animation's last few films like their others, I haven't much cared for any of Illumination Entertainment's. I really hope they don't end up merging the two as a result of this.
I honestly can see this happening. You know what that means? Minions, Minions everywhere.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
OK, so we get a Voltron Adventure attraction at Universal Orlando. That would be interesting. Wink

No, really, WHY is everyone on every single news blog treating this like, "Wow, maybe now we'll get Dreamworks park attractions at Universal, or maybe even a whole new park!" (apparently gushing over all the Dream Dubai announcements), when nobody even goes to Shrek 4-D anymore?
I never did get to see Donkey's Waffle Stand at the Hollywood park, though, was that any good?

I get your point, though, it would be nice to have Classic Media properties (including the Toho-restored Godzillas that came out on DVD way back when Dreamworks didn't own CM) fall into the hands of someone who was actually interested enough to DO something with them...
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
I honestly can see this happening. You know what that means? Minions, Minions everywhere.

My exact fear, right there. Also, the Minions somehow meeting Shrek and having hilarious adventures together. Oh, the laughs that will be had! *shudder*
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
The Minions are popular in Japan - they'd eat it up at Universal Japan.
Makes sense - they always like the SD kawaii look, like emoji and mascots everywhere
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
In addition, this move of Comcast's to buy DreamWorks Animation makes perfect sense: Comcast's last few major business moves regarding other businesses point to them desperately wanting to be Disney:
1. There was an attempt by Comcast of a hostile takeover at Disney, though it failed.
2. Comcast buying NBCUniversal was to get ahold of the Universal Studios theme parks--their recent rapid expansion is due to Comcast owning them, and they're trying to turn Universal Studios into a rival to the Disney Theme Parks.
3. DreamWorks was founded by Jeff Katzenberg (the "K" of "DreamWorks SKG"--the others are Steven Spielberg and David Geffen) primarily for the purpose of being Disney's greatest enemy. (Katzenberg felt slighted by being passed up for promotion within Disney. In response, he quit, then founded DreamWorks as revenge.) DreamWorks has had financial troubles for a while due to a string of flops, so they've actually been looking for buyers for years. Supposedly, a private Chinese company was interested in DreamWorks due to the company's huge presence in China, but Comcast was willing to pay more.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:55 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
3. DreamWorks was founded by Jeff Katzenberg (the "K" of "DreamWorks SKG"--the others are Steven Spielberg and David Geffen) primarily for the purpose of being Disney's greatest enemy. (Katzenberg felt slighted by being passed up for promotion within Disney. In response, he quit, then founded DreamWorks as revenge.)

With help from S, who wanted his own animation studio for Disney nostalgia, after producing two Don Bluth films and a handful of intentional clones (Balto, We're Back).
But after Katzenberg went around in the 90's practically claiming sole credit for Lion King (most people didn't know who wrote or directed it, and hearing JK play up his participation, literally thought he had), S's taste quickly went from Secret of NIMH Bluth clones to melodramatic Lion King 90's-Disney clones, and hoping he'd now bought the cow that gave the milk.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1