• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mysterious Girlfriend X GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadHi

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I was 'put off' as much as I was curious because it's near impossible to see how this gimmick was going to be made into a story, I just had to find out when I read the premise after having (accidentally) came across it back in 2007.

I still find this to be one of the best romance manga series and it's a shame the anime abruptly ends and a bigger shame the manga is over, I hope it continues one day. But the series was a chore to read for it would take up to 2 months before a 20-page chapter finally came out. I think the longest I waited was 4 months.

It's definitely worth checking out.

Last edited by MadHi on Thu May 19, 2016 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
meiam

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Honestly what's off putting for me isn't the drool, it's the finger! Those things are crazy dirty, don't put them in your mouth!

I remember reading part of the series, but at some point it feel like its just going around in circle unsure what to do and I ended up dropping it.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I adored the earliest parts of this series where it was just the two characters (I can't even remember their names because "the boy" and "the girl" are completely sufficient) but very shortly after adding more characters it started to feel like a regular soap opera and I lost interest.
WingKing

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Mysterious Girlfriend X is one of those titles that's been on my backlog list to watch the anime for a long time. Nick's description of the manga pretty much confirms the impression that I'd gotten of the series, though, and confirms that it's probably something I'll like whenever I finally get to it in either format.

Out of curiosity, it's my understanding that this series is being released in an omnibus format, so how many volumes of the original manga are included in this first North American volume? Is it two, or three?

meiam wrote:
Honestly what's off putting for me isn't the drool, it's the finger! Those things are crazy dirty, don't put them in your mouth!

Don't ever read Koe de Oshigoto, then.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Honestly what's off putting for me isn't the drool, it's the finger! Those things are crazy dirty, don't put them in your mouth!.
No one ever died of a common bacterial infection in manga, or anime. Most liikely from some form of violence, or alien life form, or bad science gone wrong, but never ingestion from a dirty part of the body. Wink
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Been meaning to read this on CR for a while but never got around to it. I enjoyed the anime quite a bit but, while I liked that it did do more with its weird premise than just have some cheap gross out gags then forget about it, it also fell into the usual anime romance trap of their relationship becoming stuck in stasis. The bit that I recall being particularly annoying was when they dedicated almost two episodes to them struggling with the idea of moving from using -san to -kun when referring to each other, only to go straight back to -san the next episode like that whole thing never happened. Dunno if the manga does likewise.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
meiam wrote:
Honestly what's off putting for me isn't the drool, it's the finger! Those things are crazy dirty, don't put them in your mouth!.
No one ever died of a common bacterial infection in manga, or anime. Most liikely from some form of violence, or alien life form, or bad science gone wrong, but never ingestion from a dirty part of the body. Wink

Surely there's a manga version of War of the Worlds, right?
SejinPK

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for this review, Nick! I've only ever seen the anime, but your descriptions of how the manga explores adolescent romance expressed very well many of the thoughts I've had about the anime that were stuck in my head in a much more basic, less-fleshed out form. So, reading your thoughts helped me get a better handle on my own.

Regarding the drool-bond, the thing about it that I really like, and what drew me into the show, was how it's used as a way to try to navigate the fact that it's impossible to understand another person's emotions and thoughts exactly the way they do. Even though I feel like it could've been handled a little better than it was, I never thought it just brute-forced its way through a lack of understanding by the power of the gimmick. It was always accompanied by dialogue between Urabe and Tsubaki.

The drool conveys the exact emotional experience between characters, but it can't convey why the person is feeling the way they are, or how they're processing what they're feeling. In this way, the sharing of the emotional experience facilitates dialogue and understanding between Urabe and Tsubaki, rather than being a magic solution. It invites multiple kinds of connection and communication between them, rather than being the only one needed.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
This article reminded me that this is out. Sadly there is no digital version. Before the anime came out, I periodically read the scanalations of the manga. Now it is good to be able to buy such a good series. This weekend I'll go to Barnes & Noble to hopefully pick this up. Though I hope Vertical will put this out on Amazon digital eventually.
Blackwolf0925

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:48 am Reply with quote
Man I read this way back in the day. I was actually thinking of collecting the import because I thought it would never arrive in the states in book form. Color me surprised, though the ending from what I remember did put a lot of people off. Still is not a bad series, it is a cute one none the less. Now I need to pick this up for collection purposes.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Your mouth is dirtier than your hands, so if you're willing to kiss someone, putting their fingers in your mouth is nothing. And that's not even getting into other body parts that people in love routinely touch.

TarsTarkas wrote:
This article reminded me that this is out. Sadly there is no digital version.

Well, there's no downloadable version, but if you have a Crunchyroll account, you can read it with their manga app.
Distant Thunder

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Good to see this thriving. It was unusual enough to pick my interest back when the manga released and I followed to the end.

I was fairly amused by the whole droll-order premise, I don't find it gross in any way and well, you'd have to be quite unlucky to fall ill because you put your finger into your mouth. It's not hygienic humans deal with that crap daily and even worse. I say let the kids build up their immunity! And if there's some eroticism mixed in... all the better!

Back to the story, contrary to people that would have preferred it kept focused on Urabe & Akira, I find the addition of other characters well done. The ones appearing the most were fleshed out and definitely made the two main protagonists grow up about their relationship.

Now, the pacing of such progression is definitely one the weak point of the manga. And somehow, I was under the impression spoiler[that Urabe promised Akira that he'd be the one with who she'd have sex for the first time but we never got as much as a kiss].

That and the more than subpar ending.

In the end, Nazo no Kanojo is an entertaining read, but the reader should be warned about not keeping their hopes too high.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:

Surely there's a manga version of War of the Worlds, right?
spoiler[The aliens dying because of common bugs ] don't count. Wink Laughing
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
@Nick Creamer

I am sitting here in my hotel. Just picked up the manga at BoM. What did you think of the physical quality of this release. I think they made a poor choice in the cover design. There are much better images of our characters than what they used. You know the saying on first impressions. After looking inside, I decided to pull out two new Seven Sea releases (Pandora in the Crimson Shell and Magical Girl Apocalypse) and compare them.

The biggest complaint I have, is I'd swear Vertical used a cheaper quality of paper stock for their release of MGX. Do you agree?

Maybe, because this is an omnibus edition. Now that I think about it, I seem to think the Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer also was this way, but I can't check cause it is at home.
Blackwolf0925

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:13 am Reply with quote
Though the big issues for me right now would be that it is omnibus. I have some in my collection and it is hard to read for me at times. Don't know maybe I am spoiled by smaller sizes but with the bigger books, they are harder to hold. Anyone got a jist of how big this books is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2