• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Disastrous Life of Saiki K (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote

(The) Disastrous Life of Saiki K (TV)

Genres: comedy, slice of life, supernatural
Themes: espers, psychics, school, special abilities

Plot Summary: Saiki Kusuo, an otherwise normal teenager, has various super-powers, telepathy and telekinesis included. This should have been cool, but through experience, Saiki comes to realize that having powers while trying to lead an ordinary life is a bad mix.
----------------------------------

This has a fun premise to it and I think will be rather funny when adapted. J.C. Staff really has quite a bit of work on their hands this Summer Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
So it looks like the show is 5 minutes long each..

Hmm, I'm not too sure what to think about it so far. It has potential but the animation quality isn't very impressive. Saiki is quite an interesting guy with his qualities and psi abilities though. In the meantime, I think the comedy could work well mostly because of the way it uses its dialogues.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Now that I've seen three them-almost an entire episode I gather? No? Close enough- I can safely say: 1) I find it funny 2) I find it very funny and 3) See number one.

If there Is anything else truly essential for a good comedy, I don't know what it is.

I hope this is going to be one of the shows that gets dubbed because there's a lot of overlapping comedy which makes for some lagging sub reads. Also, Funimation would have a field day with funny voices/performances here.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Anime Physics (including rainbow hair and self-repairing clothes) explained in one, neat package. Brilliant!!

I'm really enjoying the dry humor in this. The guy vomiting blood after scraping his calf was great. If Saiki's parents did give him a sibling, that could be interesting. Smile
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
The second episode's final skit just might be the funniest thing I've seen all year. I'm still unclear on whether Saiki actually is responsible for turning his world into a real-life manga or if he created a comically exaggerated lie to placate Jump readers who submit questions he doesn't feel need to be addressed. Possibly a combination thereof?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

I have to say, the coffee jello segment was spot on. I do exactly the same thing when I'm shopping, trying to figure out which is the best deal or whether I want to pay extra for the good stuff. It's especially irritating when the larger package actually costs more per unit than the smaller, or individual-sized packs. I feel like they're trying to rip me off by expecting me to assume bulk packs are less expensive.

I am kind of curious as to what he did to the fortune teller to change her ways.

I also loved last week's segment where we found out (sort of) what his antennae are for. Crisis (mostly) averted!

This is kind of the anti-Mob Psycho. I love it.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, show received a lot of flack during preview guide, but I think it's really funny and Kamiyan is nailing Saiki's deadpan attitude. Though I believe the 5 in one format doesn't really work because the skits don't really have good transitions from one to the other, I think they're better off sampled individually than trying to see them as a coherent storyline
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
Oh, there's actually a thread for this show! Smile

This has slowly become one of my favourites of the season, i love all the wacky characters and the creative jokes that result from Saiki's abilities. But i agree, if ever an anime was made for shorts, it's this one, if only because reading all those subs for 20 minutes straight is wearing me out...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:52 am Reply with quote
I think of it like the convenience of watching Hetalia on disk. I'm not expecting a coherent storyline, so that doesn't bother me. Five at a time seems about right to me.

I do keep wondering if they've sped up Saiki's dialog track just a tad while maintaining the pitch. I know people can actually talk that fast, but it sounds weird to me. Smile
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
I keep wondering why anybody actually likes him since he never seems to talk.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
Because they've all made up their own head-canon stories about him. Like Handa-kun, he's a blank slate to write on. Basically it's pretty much all projection and confirmation bias at work. Smile
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I keep wondering why anybody actually likes him since he never seems to talk.

Because he likes to keep a likability rating of 50. A simple bell curve will tell you how well that works out... a couple like him, a couple hate him.

But I wouldn't say those who like him do so because they make up stories about him, Saika often ends up helping those who like him a lot more than he wants because he wants the majority just to ignore him.

Besides, from my own personal experience as a non talker, you'd be surprised at how that works out. Even without the psychic powers. Really, some people just love to talk both ends of a conversation... and this shows has covered most of the types who do it.

This is the only show that's earned my interest this season... or maybe I'm just watching to find out how that girl in glasses fits in the cast.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:52 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
But I wouldn't say those who like him do so because they make up stories about him...

Besides, from my own personal experience as a non talker, you'd be surprised at how that works out. Even without the psychic powers. Really, some people just love to talk both ends of a conversation...

Maybe I should have used the word "narrative" rather than story, but the point remains. You leave blanks by not talking and people will fill them in to paint their own image of you, shaped by when and at what you grunted or nodded or ignored. Same thing happens online when people only have text to work with.

Also you're right that the 50% likeability thing he strives for is key as well.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think that TV Tokyo banana had a name. It's unfortunate that Nendou is so stupid, since I'd like to know what the replacement memory was
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:01 am Reply with quote
Me neither. I always thought it looked like a condom. While I was pretty sure that was wrong, I would never have guessed it was a banana. Still have no idea why a banana is their logobug.

Nendou has so many holes in his head already that his brain probably didn't feel the need to fill in one more.

This week's episodes had a weird echo in this week's DAYS. Yay, my child has friends!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2