• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Touched By a Galaxy Angel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
After all, it's not streaming online, and while I was fortunate enough to collect the whole thing when it was coming out, there's always a danger that my DVDs will somehow get damaged.

Or worse, stolen, as happened with the first three seasons of mine well after it had gone out of print... I'm really happy Right Stuf is releasing the first season on BD, though I'm a bit concerned they will stop there since sales of the series haven't ever been that good. Really hoping I'll be able to fill in the gaps of my collection completely with the new release.
NormanS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I love the manga, i bought all of them until GA II vol 3, the other volumes i have difficulty finding in print.
Dark Mysty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
As a heads' up, the article doesn't seem to have a link to Mike's video that was mentioned in the third paragraph.
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I did enjoy Galaxy Angel. One of the earlier animes I got into. The second season, Z, was a bit dull, sometimes serious and put me off for a while, but the third, A, brings it back to it's crazy gag style, and amps it even further. I even managed to get lucky by finding the one of few elusive final volumes of Galaxy Angel Rune.

On a side note, there are quite a few parallels with Milky Holmes, so much I'd call it the spiritual successor. It started off with divergent anime and visual novel. The anime being a gag fest, and the visual novel being more serious. The gags are very similar is style to the Galaxy Angel counterpart, and the male protagonist cut from the anime. Milky Holmes even tried to create an unsuccessful new generation where the anime tried to have more of a plot, Futari wa Milky Holmes to Galaxy Angel Rune. The cast even takes some ex-Angels, with Yukari Tamura, Ryoko Shintani and Miyuki Sawashiro from the original Angel Brigade voicing the police officers, and Satomi Akesaka from the Rune Brigade voicing the "villian".
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
On a side note, there are quite a few parallels with Milky Holmes, so much I'd call it the spiritual successor. It started off with divergent anime and visual novel. The anime being a gag fest, and the visual novel being more serious. The gags are very similar is style to the Galaxy Angel counterpart, and the male protagonist cut from the anime. Milky Holmes even tried to create an unsuccessful new generation where the anime tried to have more of a plot, Futari wa Milky Holmes to Galaxy Angel Rune. The cast even takes some ex-Angels, with Yukari Tamura, Ryoko Shintani and Miyuki Sawashiro from the original Angel Brigade voicing the police officers, and Satomi Akesaka from the Rune Brigade voicing the "villian".

Yes, but did the angels have any skills in collectible card gaming? Wink
CeaseActivity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Dark Mysty wrote:
As a heads' up, the article doesn't seem to have a link to Mike's video that was mentioned in the third paragraph.

I wondered about this too
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Galaxy Angel is my favorite high-goofiness anime comedy and the one serious episode per season is often surprisingly good. My favorite is the Forte/Volcott pair piece whey they have to hunt a war robot. The third and fourth series go downhill a bit since they're so long they seem to let some B-grade material through.

Maybe it's something that you can't mention in an article like this but there have been English patches for the original trilogy of games for a number of years now (I helped proof-read one). They're....OK. Not bad at all but nothing really remarkable. The space combat sections are fairly trivial and the dating sim aspect is a bit obvious; want a girl to like you? Agree with everything she says and give her anything she asks you for!

It is slightly interesting in that after Tact ends up with a girl in the first game (or doesn't!) you get to pick who it was at the start of the second and third games to provide a continuous trilogy for each of the original cast (and a somewhat awkward duology for Chitose).

Also, Milfeuille isn't quite the sugar-sweet airhead she is in the anime:

Quote:
should Angel Tai be translated as Angel Brigade, like Bandai's old DVD release does, or would something like Angel Wing or Angel Squadron be better?

"Angel Wing" does have the wordplay aspect but it's dependent on an air-force feel and Bandai's version of the anime may not have hit upon it since the girls spend so little time flying their spaceships in the TV show and nearly never for combat.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if you can put Galaxy Angel and Martian Successor Nadesico in the same category--
Galaxy Angel came off as more of a Tenchi-era pre-harem fluff comedy of cute oddballs on a ship, while Nadesico was more a direct satire on the mecha space-fleet genre.
(Or, as one put it at the late-90's time, "Gundam: Dilbert".)

And even then, Nadesico eventually wanders into the Edgy Serious War-Theme territory of their enemy, how they became that way, and whether the power of Gekiganger III reruns can unite them all.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I love Galaxy Angel, not as a comedy but as a speculative science fiction series like if the Twilight Zone has a reoccurring cast. Yes, there are funny shows and yes there are serious shows but the ones I love are just weird.

The one with the Universe's most dangerous villain is imprisoned in a gigantic rock and Forte and... I want to say Kokomo... have to transport him like in the movie Sorcerer... or Wages of Sin. Forte ends up playing a game of "What's in the rock" with an answer beyond reason.

The one where Mint becomes a tree; Horrifying and amazing in one package.

The Chitose disease episode.

An entire history gets reenacted by the cast in character... by the characters in castes? Wait, was that mean to be a joke?

Mint's cosplay disease.

The one where Miyuki Sawashiro and Yukari Tamura hold a concert and manage to make the other three voice actors seem competent musical performers by sheer talent and force of will.... though that may have been a bonus episode.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Not sure if you can put Galaxy Angel and Martian Successor Nadesico in the same category--
Galaxy Angel came off as more of a Tenchi-era pre-harem fluff comedy of cute oddballs on a ship, while Nadesico was more a direct satire on the mecha space-fleet genre.
(Or, as one put it at the late-90's time, "Gundam: Dilbert".)

And even then, Nadesico eventually wanders into the Edgy Serious War-Theme territory of their enemy, how they became that way, and whether the power of Gekiganger III reruns can unite them all.

The name Kidou Senkan Nadesico is already more of a parody of Kidou Senshi Gundam and Uchuu Senkan Yamato than any other name, though I'd argue that the parts you're calling satire are actually parody, whereas the "Edgy Serious War-Theme" is the part that's satire.

However, I think you do have to note that Nadesico has a bit of that Tenchi-era pre-harem fluff comedy on a ship stuff as well, with Akito having the "all the girls like him even though it's obvious who his choice is" thing of that era (which in the modern days would be, hmm, SAO.) I love Nadesico, but have no quarrel with putting it in the similar category.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm a huge Galaxy Angel fan, and I still own all seasons except Rune (if that one even counts) on DVD. Animax aired the first three seasons in Latin America, and as I watched them, I just felt the show kept getting better as it dropped all pretense of having a plot and focused more and more on the comedy. By the time the show gets to the third season (the first without original directors Morio Asaka and Yoshimitsu Ohashi), it even chucks continuity out of the window, with some episodes ending with huge status quo changes that are promptly reset by the next episode with no explanation.

It's great news that RightStuf is releasing it on Blu-ray, even though none of the four seasons was native HD. Well, actually the first one was cel-animated, but it was upscaled for the Japanese BD release instead of getting a new HD telecine from the original film. Anyway, I'm just glad the show will be back in print and in a more durable format, and hopefully the BDs will include the same extras as Bandai Entertainment's DVD releases.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor is my favorite space comedy and also my favorite anime of all time as well.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I had a funny run-in with Right Stuf's history with Irresponsible Captain Tylor the other day. I have the DVDs at home, but a few weeks ago I got a Right Stuf email at the wrong account. I called customer service, and physically recoiled as spoiler[Crispin Freeman] Captain Tylor's boundless enthusiasm greeted me into their customer support system.

Best. Customer support phone-call. Ever. Cool
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
As usual a good piece of writing from Mike. I don't consider myself a space comedy fan, but I liked comedic space titles like The Girl Who Leapt Through Space and Outlaw Star.
Zumie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I really liked this series, and I always wondered what happened to it. Yeah it went on forever- but it's not like I remember it ever losing any interest or popularity- at least I didn't hear any news on why it may have stopped being in production.

I really liked Galaxy Angel Rune as well- I thought it was a bit more risque at some points than Galaxy Angel was originally.

It's a real shame, I would've loved to see more merchandise from the show at least, or even see the anime version of the franchise made into a manga. It seemed like it was just starting to get good with the introduction of Chitose when it ended. I don't know, that's really just my opinion though!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2