• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Sword Art Online Composer Yuki Kajiura

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Boy, I'd love to be at this concert, but the cost of the trip would be prohibitive.

Quote:
"I believe that composing the BGM for a title is similar to working on the scenario of that title. It is not possible to compose something satisfactory without having a clear sense of the story and an idea of how I want to describe each scene. "

This was the comment from the interview that I found most interesting. I think it explains quite a bit about how the sound of good BGM can shape and define the content of a series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
This was the comment from the interview that I found most interesting. I think it explains quite a bit about how the sound of good BGM can shape and define the content of a series.

Star Wars begs to differ Smile
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Key wrote:

[url=http://io9.gizmodo.com/john-williams-hasn't-seen-a-single-star-wars-movie-1790469339]Star Wars begs to differ[/url] Smile

It just shows the differing approaches to composing music. Just like with any art medium, there's not necessarily a wrong or right approach. It's funny that Yuki Kajiura likes to say she doesn't have a "stye" per se, however one could potentially argue her approach to composing as a contributing factor to "her style".

I found the questions in this interview entertaining and well placed. Props to the preparation and execution. I also thoroughly enjoyed reading Yuki Kajiura's insight.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Kajiura's music is awesome. It was her music for .hack//SIGN that led to me finally getting hooked on anime back in 2006-ish. Thanks for interviewing her Anime smile
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Great interview, thanks so much for providing it. Kajiura is among my favorite composers for anime so it's always great to hear from her.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Boy, I'd love to be at this concert, but the cost of the trip would be prohibitive.

For me, the flight is affordable... it's just a quick cheap jaunt from Seattle to LA. But it's being there that's too expensive. Why did this concert have to happen after my sister moved away from LA?
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I am actually a Kajiura Yuki fan since the 9th grade when I remember I watched some Hack show that featured a sould piercing soundtrack that deeply affected me at the time (much more than the show). After watching Madoka in 2013 I was again reminded of her scores, they are indeed among the most powerful film scores I remembers listening too.

I would also think that Sword of Art Online was the worst title Kajiura Yuki composed for and the last thing that comes to my mind when one talks about her (so I wondered on the title of the news article). That is since she made the scores for the enormously superior stuff like Noir, Fate Zero and Madoka.

Kajiura Yuki wrote:
Personally, I usually enjoy stories and art that are on paper rather than film, because I can freely hear whatever music I want with books and pictures and enjoy them however I wish.

That's my case as well. It's one of the reasons why I am reading more manga over the past couple of years than watching stuff is because I can listen to metal while reading manga while I don't care for most of anime soundtracks (although stuff like Joe Hisaishi's work is incredible).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I knew Kajiura's work ethic was brought up before, so I went on a hunt.
From an Urobuchi Q&A
Quote:
Do you have any relationship with the series composer Yuki Kajiura?
"...I've met with her a few times, she's very well-acquainted with the stories, and reads every script."
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
What an amazing interview. She has been one of my favorite composers ever since I watched Kara no Kyoukai, although it is kind of unfortunate that I haven't seen her work much outside of SAO and Erased in the recent years.

Does anybody here knows other composers out there who read scripts or do heavy preparatory work prior to making the soundtrack? I find this aspect of Kajiura very admirable.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Mike Toole for preparing carefully and helping provide some insights through the interview.
starlightshine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Kajiura has been one of my favorite composers ever since Gundam Seed, and it's definitely nice to read an interview on her. I liked how she talked about being familiar with the source material, and that FictionJunction and Kalafina were mentioned.
mercury_star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
No matter how many shows she wrote and would write for, I still think the music she composed for Pandora Hearts is her best work, especially Lacie, that piece is simply too beautiful to be true. And Lacie was not merely just a theme, the piece directly affected the story and was an imminent plot point. Such a shame Pandora Heart is not more popular, I listen to Lacie and Every time you kiss me on daily basic
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:30 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Key wrote:

[url=http://io9.gizmodo.com/john-williams-hasn't-seen-a-single-star-wars-movie-1790469339]Star Wars begs to differ[/url] Smile

I think you should re-read what Key wrote. John Williams may not have seen any Star Wars movies in the theater - but that's irrelevant to whether or not he's read any of the scripts. You should also re-read and reconsider the content of the very article you link to, which specifically points out that he has seen specific scenes from the movies.

Or, in short, the Star Wars doesn't differ.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:34 am Reply with quote
My-HiME was the anime that open the door for me to enter in Yuki Kajiura music world.
"Yamiyo no Prologue" and "Mezame" still bring chills to my spine.

Many of anime she is part of turns out to be amazing like My-HiME, Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Madoka Magica and Sword Art Online.
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Man I've never regretted buying a house & building a garage this year until now, Yuki Kajiura has been on the top of my must see concerts for a long time.

If only she came to Canada for 3-4 shows ><
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2