• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jungle Emperor (Kimba) manga English release?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SakuraYakushi :3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Why has this three book set never been translated and put on the American market? I mean..Other manga written by Osamu Tezuka have been released here. The Mighty Atom (Astro Boy) and Black Jack have been put out here...But why never Jungle Emperor? This is a series that needs to be released in the states. I have the Japanese version and I would love to see it in English. Some people (including myself) have a theory. It is thought that Disney is to blame. They fought so hard to keep this franchise obscure in the United States because of how they made The Lion King by ripping off Jungle Emperor. And with the new live action Lion King on the way I could only assume that it would be even harder to have this manga released here but I feel we have to try to reach out and suggest that it gets done.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I think it's only a matter of time, honestly.

And even with the Mouse denying any relation to Kimba, the movies and the TV show are still available int he US. Heck, the movie just got relicensed and re-released within the past few months (on bluray, at that!)

DMP currently has the rights for all the Tezuka goodness and they run Kickstarters every few months to try and bring more over. But keep in mind the audience that pledges on the Kickstarters: mostly a lot older. It's both the older audience that has the money to spare for a Kickstarter and know who Tezuka is to begin with, and a lot of them prefer his seinen works to his shonen works. A while back, they tried to do Wonder 3, but it failed (I honestly think it could've succeeded, had they gone for cheaper soft covers instead of more expensive hardcovers), but the ones that get the most money are for Tezuka's seinen series, particular 1-2 volume things that are like "one and done" sorts of things, or maybe a collection of short stories (those are pretty popular too). So I think they're going to be sticking with safe bets for a little while in order to get more Tezuka out period. Most of the shonen that they have published have been stretch goals, and it's typically for things that are already available in digital, but not yet in print (Brave Dan, for example).

So I think it's mostly a matter of patience, but you could always try to encourage DMP to perhaps have Kimba on their next Kickstarter (I bet it would go better if it were published in two volumes instead of 3 though, they'd also have to pay less fees to Japan if they did in 2, rather than 3, books), and to go softcover, since hardcover doesn't seem to win for them (I'd like nice shiny hardcovers too, but their softcovers are perfectly nice too).

In the meantime, I believe it was published in German (at this point, I think the US has almost everything various parts of Europe does, but there are some exceptions)
SakuraYakushi :3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I think it's only a matter of time, honestly.

And even with the Mouse denying any relation to Kimba, the movies and the TV show are still available int he US. Heck, the movie just got relicensed and re-released within the past few months (on bluray, at that!)

DMP currently has the rights for all the Tezuka goodness and they run Kickstarters every few months to try and bring more over. But keep in mind the audience that pledges on the Kickstarters: mostly a lot older. It's both the older audience that has the money to spare for a Kickstarter and know who Tezuka is to begin with, and a lot of them prefer his seinen works to his shonen works. A while back, they tried to do Wonder 3, but it failed (I honestly think it could've succeeded, had they gone for cheaper soft covers instead of more expensive hardcovers), but the ones that get the most money are for Tezuka's seinen series, particular 1-2 volume things that are like "one and done" sorts of things, or maybe a collection of short stories (those are pretty popular too). So I think they're going to be sticking with safe bets for a little while in order to get more Tezuka out period. Most of the shonen that they have published have been stretch goals, and it's typically for things that are already available in digital, but not yet in print (Brave Dan, for example).

So I think it's mostly a matter of patience, but you could always try to encourage DMP to perhaps have Kimba on their next Kickstarter (I bet it would go better if it were published in two volumes instead of 3 though, they'd also have to pay less fees to Japan if they did in 2, rather than 3, books), and to go softcover, since hardcover doesn't seem to win for them (I'd like nice shiny hardcovers too, but their softcovers are perfectly nice too).

In the meantime, I believe it was published in German (at this point, I think the US has almost everything various parts of Europe does, but there are some exceptions)

Yeah, I bought the Blu-ray but to be honest they really didn't do a good job. The video on the Blu-ray disc looks like DVD quality. And this movie was not even done in digital paint. This was done in a traditional hand painted cell animation. If you look at Disney's Blu-ray releases you can tell just how much better it looks. I really feel that there is no excuse for a Blu-ray of this release looking like just a DVD release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1