• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Akira Toriyama Shares 30 Years of Feelings About Dragon Quest Designs

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagpo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Was it announced that the Switch version is being releases in 2017 as well?
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling this letter from him extends to the Dragon Ball series as well. Laughing
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Were all of the designs made by him personally? With how big the franchise has become, I've always thought they've made successors for him or something, like Masashi Hamauzu to Nobuo Uematsu. Shocked
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:15 am Reply with quote
I find Chrono Trigger to have some of his better designs and not just because it's the greatest SNES game ever. ;D

His monster designs are especially more prominent than his human ones as the subject of monsters lets him come up with some zany facial expressions for them. XD

Speaking of the image in the article, I think it was especially cute that he provided the voice of Toripo in the Blue Dragon game.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Recently, Toriyama has been drawing a lot of main human characters that are "basically serious good guys." He has no particular interest in those kinds of character images, and he has had little variation lately. Toriyama also said he has plenty of troubles because has to consider the fantasy setting.

I've definitely noticed this in recent iterations of Dragon Quest. It seems like they're pushing him into the "cool, serious" direction, and I share his sentiments in that I also have no interest in those kinds of characters. I prefer the charming, light-hearted sensibilities in his works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1