• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, January 23-29

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:29 am Reply with quote
Yuri!!! domination! Guess Livers and OP fans have something in common to talk about now aside from the beef.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:43 am Reply with quote
Holy mother, so Yuri on Ice not only didn't suffer a significant drop from v1 to v2, the second volume sold nearly 1000 more copies combined on its first week than the first volume did. How often does that happen?! I'm so happy I could cry
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:34 am Reply with quote
DAMN! YOI vol. 2 managed to overtake two Studio Shaft anime (3gatsu and Zaregoto)!!

I can only imagine that vol. 4 (which contains episode 7 ;D) is going to sell past 10k. Hell yeah; congrats to studio Mappa and Sayo sensei!!!
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:19 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
DAMN! YOI vol. 2 managed to overtake two Studio Shaft anime (3gatsu and Zaregoto)!!

I can only imagine that vol. 4 (which contains episode 7 ;D) is going to sell past 10k. Hell yeah; congrats to studio Mappa and Sayo sensei!!!

3gatsu got beat by everything else though. Seriously, when was the last time Shaft had a series bomb like this?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:04 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Holy mother, so Yuri on Ice not only didn't suffer a significant drop from v1 to v2, the second volume sold nearly 1000 more copies combined on its first week than the first volume did. How often does that happen?! I'm so happy I could cry

There's two different event ticket applications for vol 1 and vol 2. If there is going to be a drop in sales then it'd happen with vol 3, since as far as I know that does not come with an event ticket application.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:04 am Reply with quote
I like YOI, but the sales aren't really all that deserving.

I found that, aside from a rather good homosexual relationship, it wasn otherwise meh sports series in the end.

Its nice that its doing well, but I don't think it should be doing that great.

Re:zero doing well every time is nice, though. it deserves it.
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:43 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
There's two different event ticket applications for vol 1 and vol 2. If there is going to be a drop in sales then it'd happen with vol 3, since as far as I know that does not come with an event ticket application.

Even with an event ticket, it's still very unusual for the second volume to have a stronger first week than the first volume.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:47 am Reply with quote
Very impressive that Yuri On Ice is still bringing in the huge dough on Volume 2! Smile
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:54 am Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Even with an event ticket, it's still very unusual for the second volume to have a stronger first week than the first volume.

It's very common when there are known stock issues at big brick and mortar stores which YOI vol 1 experienced. I haven't heard of stock issues for vol 2 on anywhere near the scale that vol 1 had. The second week for vol 1 added around 12k which makes the stock issues pretty evident.
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:30 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It's very common when there are known stock issues at big brick and mortar stores which YOI vol 1 experienced. I haven't heard of stock issues for vol 2 on anywhere near the scale that vol 1 had. The second week for vol 1 added around 12k which makes the stock issues pretty evident.

Do you have any sources for that alleged stock issue? A Japanese source is fine. The first volume was released over a major Japanese holiday, which more than accounts for the large second week, but I haven't heard a single thing about stock issues, aside from when the Amazon LE sold out and got a restock in the second half of the series's run.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Do you have any sources for that alleged stock issue? A Japanese source is fine. The first volume was released over a major Japanese holiday, which more than accounts for the large second week, but I haven't heard a single thing about stock issues, aside from when the Amazon LE sold out and got a restock in the second half of the series's run.

I checked the BD and DVD page on Amazon Japan at midnight Japan time plus the next day and I didn't see any stock issues. I saw no posts anywhere about it being out of stock in Animate either.

Week 2 might not be as much as v1w2 but I don't expect it to be that small.
hsbeta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
Masou Gakuen HxH is good as Mob Psycho 100 LUL Shocked
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
Looks like it was only the Amazon LE edition that had any sort of stock issues, so I was incorrect about that. Well, then YOI certainly has a chance for another 10k+ week 2, but I'm really looking at how vol 3 will do without the live event to see if there's any major drop (beyond the typical 25-30% we typically see).
dcmc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
first time i didn't saw any western animation bd on the list,was it (finally) not included or it sold below cut off number?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

Love Live Sunshine also had event tickets in both v1 and v2 and the drop was still 30% for the latter. In fact, YOI v2 wk1 outsold LLS v2 wk1, so I'm confident in saying it is as amazing an achievement as I originally judged Very Happy

Still likely to see a drop on v3 and we don't know how wk2 will do, but even if there's a drop, it's clearly going to be significantly smaller than what is the norm for anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3