• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Keijo!!!!!!!! Manga Creator Explains Cancellation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, he may have burned some bridges there.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, so that's how it is. Well, best of luck to him if he decides to make another series at some point (it might be in his best interest to go for a monthly schedule too).
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
doing too much work that he passed out for an hour.

I was going to make a joke about sheer dedication to butts, but it shows how dangerous the work ethic & workload in Japan is.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He began by saying that he was told even before the anime aired that he should finish the manga after the anime finished.

That makes absolutely no sense. The reason publishers invest money in producing an anime is to increase the sales of said manga (or LN, whichever the case). Either he is lying to cover for his publisher or someone at management had a personal grudge with the mangaka.

Quote:
the rumors that the anime's first home video volume only sold 715 units.... He said that the figure had "the number of digits wrong."

He might have sold 1k+ units since sales shipped outside japan are not reported as part of the total. If he later says it sold 7150 units either he is lying or someone really want to kick Keijo into oblivion *insert conspiracy theory about japan olympics 2020*
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Oricon sales figures are never to be taken as exact numbers of copies sold. Oricon does not count all retailers and as mentioned do not count any purchases from outside Japan. Oricon sales figures are excellent when used relatively. Two series can be compared using their Oricon totals, however that doesn't mean that the figures are absolute totals.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:18 pm Reply with quote
So it turns out Keijo might have fared better it appeared (even if only slightly)...

In any case, it's a total shame that Shōgakukan didn't give Mr. Sorayomi-san help when he asked for it. Sad I wish him best of luck on his future.
Davonepresley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote
This...doesn't make sense, at least to me. Quite frankly, why would Shokugan, or even the companies involved in the anime's production, bother even making an anime adaptation if the manga was already essentially doomed? Especially considering the fact that the anime came out 3+ years after the manga's debut. Like i said on Twitter, either the anime was a truly DESPERATE last ditch effort to increase sales, or the anime was just too far in development for the production committees to cancel it.
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Guess it shows those oricon sales should really be taken with a grain of salt. Its cool to hear about real sales numbers the rest is kind of sad.

Last edited by Random Name on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Davonepresley wrote:
This...doesn't make sense, at least to me. Quite frankly, why would Shokugan, or even the companies involved in the anime's production, bother even making an anime adaptation if the manga was already essentially doomed?

Just because a manga is finishing doesn't mean it's "Doomed" sales wise. There's hope that the volumes to come will be boosted along with earlier volumes. There have been several examples recently admittedly more story driven shows finishing the manga at the same time as the anime was broadcast (Erased, Your Lie in April) so it's not unprecedented. Besides Keijo had a pretty good run with 18 volumes!
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:36 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Davonepresley wrote:
This...doesn't make sense, at least to me. Quite frankly, why would Shokugan, or even the companies involved in the anime's production, bother even making an anime adaptation if the manga was already essentially doomed?

Just because a manga is finishing doesn't mean it's "Doomed" sales wise. There's hope that the volumes to come will be boosted along with earlier volumes. There have been several examples recently admittedly more story driven shows finishing the manga at the same time as the anime was broadcast (Erased, Your Lie in April) so it's not unprecedented. Besides Keijo had a pretty good run with 18 volumes!

That's different though. Your lie in April and Erased both told complete stories that reached their natural conclusions. Here the author is explicitly saying his series was cancelled and wasn't able to tell all the stories he wanted because the publisher asked him to wrap it up
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:09 am Reply with quote
The manga publisher weren't involved with the production of the anime, afaik. From what he's saying, it seems they'd already written it off before its release & heck maybe only kept it going for the sake of trying to generate some piggyback sales. Thems the breaks, I guess.
TheCanipaEffect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:23 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Quote:
He began by saying that he was told even before the anime aired that he should finish the manga after the anime finished.

That makes absolutely no sense. The reason publishers invest money in producing an anime is to increase the sales of said manga (or LN, whichever the case). Either he is lying to cover for his publisher or someone at management had a personal grudge with the mangaka.

Quote:
the rumors that the anime's first home video volume only sold 715 units.... He said that the figure had "the number of digits wrong."

He might have sold 1k+ units since sales shipped outside japan are not reported as part of the total. If he later says it sold 7150 units either he is lying or someone really want to kick Keijo into oblivion *insert conspiracy theory about japan olympics 2020*

Okay, should probably start by saying that Shogakukan is not on the production committee for Keijo's anime and that not all adaptations are solely for the purpose of promoting the original material. There's really no reason for him to lie.

And it's difficult to capture the scale of the difference in sales he was talking about through a single line of translation, but I've been informed that he infers the difference is huge and had the sentence "The sales were closer to 7000 than 700" approved by three different translators.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:23 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
The manga publisher weren't involved with the production of the anime, afaik. From what he's saying, it seems they'd already written it off before its release & heck maybe only kept it going for the sake of trying to generate some piggyback sales. Thems the breaks, I guess.

Rare but not unprecedented. Perhaps there was an anime planned by the publisher a year or two ago but they gave up on it. However someone else came in and provided the rest of the funds for it (maybe a figure maker, maybe a streamer like crunchyroll) and the publisher just went along with it.

It's perfectly possible for the publisher to be involved but not actually particularly invested.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:51 am Reply with quote
How would they know how many were sold? All the publisher should know id how many didcs they printed and shipped. They could have shipped several thousand discs to stores that are still sitting on shelves and are heavily discounted.

didn't know shonen sunday adhered to the jump back of magazine least popular policy. Though reaching 18 volumes is quite a milestone.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:56 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
How would they know how many were sold? All the publisher should know id how many didcs they printed and shipped. They could have shipped several thousand discs to stores that are still sitting on shelves and are heavily discounted.

didn't know shonen sunday adhered to the jump back of magazine least popular policy. Though reaching 18 volumes is quite a milestone.

Japan doesn't work on the wholesale retail system that the US does.

The maker will get reports from all the stores about exactly how many are sold each month.
Such data is also required for the royalty payments to the creators.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2