• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha USA to Release Kasane, Real Girl, This Is a Love Story Manga Digitally

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
a cat and a 10-year-old girl named Haruka show up at his house. His editor and childhood friend suggests he use Haruka as a model for his novel about love

Quote:
a 10-year-old girl named Haruka
Quote:
use Haruka as a model for his novel about love

Well...
I'm sure it can't be as dodgy as it sounds.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Quote:
a cat and a 10-year-old girl named Haruka show up at his house. His editor and childhood friend suggests he use Haruka as a model for his novel about love

Quote:
a 10-year-old girl named Haruka
Quote:
use Haruka as a model for his novel about love

Well...
I'm sure it can't be as dodgy as it sounds.

It's not as bad as it sounds. I read it and nothing weird happens.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:19 am Reply with quote
Then what does happen? Because unless "love" in this case is "strictly paternal love, no romance or sexual attraction what so ever", or he's doing a novel based on observations of the girl and her childhood friend the same age, a 30-year old using a 10-year old as his muse is super inappropriate...squicky. Let's bring that word back. It should make the average person feel squicky--squeamish and icky.

I've heard great things about Kasane as a horror title, and even suggested that Vertical release it in the past. Glad someone's giving it a chance!
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:20 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Then what does happen? Because unless "love" in this case is "strictly paternal love, no romance or sexual attraction what so ever", or he's doing a novel based on observations of the girl and her childhood friend the same age, a 30-year old using a 10-year old as his muse is super inappropriate...squicky. Let's bring that word back. It should make the average person feel squicky--squeamish and icky

There is spoiler[ romance but certianly not immediatly. The story goes all the way through her schooling before anything actually begins. ] There are echos of Usagi Drop but it is much better IMHO.
lebrel

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
The article used the word "shoujo" in a sufficiently awkward position that I thought it was saying all 3 titles were shoujo, and was horribly confused by Kasane for a couple of seconds... I'm interested in the title but it's definitely not shoujo. Smile

Real Girl looks interesting. Withholding judgement on This Is A Love Story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1