• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Update: What's Going On with Anime News Network?

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
Gross. Going after staff Twitter accounts makes it sound like someone was after you personally; probably some jerk who didn't like a bad review of his favorite anime.

Sorry this happened. Hope the damage isn't too bad and you're back on your feet soon.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
That really sux why the heck would someone go after such a site like ANN and even their staff just ugh.
Hope you guys will be able to fix the issue quickly wish ya the best and will ofc spread the news around to make sure some idiots dont abuse this situation.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:07 am Reply with quote
I hope you can summon your lawyers to deal with the hackers involved. I will give the hackers credit for having the talent to hack a news site like this but I don't condone it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
Was this site caught in some bigger thing, or was it a targeted attack?

invalidname wrote:
Gross. Going after staff Twitter accounts makes it sound like someone was after you personally; probably some jerk who didn't like a bad review of his favorite anime.

Sorry this happened. Hope the damage isn't too bad and you're back on your feet soon.

If it was directed specifically at this site, it could've been for potentially anything, especially if the attacker never left any messages. Might not have been a bad review. It might have been anything from an endorsement of something they don't like to a grab for attention (we're talking about this hacker, aren't we?). Some fans can be the least reasonable people on this planet.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
Could be almost anything / anyone that did this hack. Sad state of affairs to go after ANN, this place isn't known for being controversial.

Mark Gosdn
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
the possible reasons why are innumerable /A/ had a thread up for a couple hours and speculations where everything from angry Gundam fans, people being mad at the forum moderators, to a disgruntled former employee. Honestly it could be anything.

This just is further proof why I don't put myself out on social media that much because all it takes is for someone one to be a big enough target or anger the wrong people and this sort of thing happens. Hopefully it all get squared away but I'm not expecting any answers anytime soon but at least the website is back up and operational.

Last edited by Parsifal24 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
JMmelegrito

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

I have a feeling that it is because of @Anime. Similar to what what happened with @n, I'm sure the @Anime handle is something that is a prized name.

Chris Macdonald mentioned on his Twitter before that someone tried to brute force @Anime in 2015.
NormanS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
If i may ask. Are the password hashed/salted? And correct me if i am wrong but isn't ANN using a really old forum software? Couldnt that be the target as well as perhaps updating to a new one?[/img]
Supermutant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
Whoever did this and things like it (looking at you GOT hackers who are ransoming thing to HBO) deserve to burn deepest pits of hell. Sorry i'm just tired of these aholes who are running our fun on the internet.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
Damn, I sincerely hope that you guys can fix the problem soon. Why would someone want to target ANN, I don't know, but they need to be brought to justice. I think maybe it was someone who was upset with someone here or the whole site for whatever reason they have, but this action isn't justified for that.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, what? Why are people so hateful that they'd take down a website like this?
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I understand there are circles of anime fandom that don't like ANN or its writers, but this is just ridiculous.

I'm curious as to how exactly a hacker completely stole control of the domain though, to the point of having his information replaced in the WHOIS. I didn't know you could just steal someone's URL like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
This is disgusting. Someone is after big public sites like this one. I hope no impirtant info was leaked to anyone. I myself was confused when the site went down last night and it was rerouted at some point to this broken site for some reason. Luckily it's now a 404 site now meaning it has no domain, but still. I hope everyone on this forum spreads the word to get you guys back on your feet again.

On the other hand I hope those hackers r caught and stopped. Who kmows what site may be next if they were able to get control of a site as big as this one.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
Honestly, what? Why are people so hateful that they'd take down a website like this?

Some people can be very petty. A message board I used to hang out pretty frequently was completely destroyed and all its posts erased because he wanted people to go to his personal message boards instead. He was upset people from this board weren't going over there so he launched an attack to attempt to force them over.

And sometimes, a tiny thing turns out to be the final straw.

Or it could be part of something larger, like the cyberattacks on Ukraine, which knocked out a lot of unrelated businesses and government institutions all over the world.
xstylus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
evileye_theblocker wrote:
invalidname wrote:

I have a feeling that it is because of @Anime. Similar to what what happened with @n, I'm sure the @Anime handle is something that is a prized name.

Chris Macdonald mentioned on his Twitter before that someone tried to brute force @Anime in 2015.

My thoughts exactly. In fact, it looks like whoever did the hack has already set up camp on @Anime and made it their own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11