• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sound! Euphonium: Welcome to the Kitauji High School Concert Band Novel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
Interesting review, Mr. Creamer. I haven't read the original novel (Only watched the anime), but it's fascinating to see how much the original novels pale in comparison to the anime. It's quite an achievement for Kyoto Animation to turn a pedestrian read into such an engaging drama that I have as one of my favorite anime to have watched as it aired. I was interested in reading the original novels, but after this, I'll just stick with the anime.
Aezreal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I'd venture Shuiichi actually gets not just equal but more presence than Reina in the first novel. I finished reading it not too long ago myself, and was surprised by the amount of times Shuiichi just pops up for a chat. The interactions were largely bland, but then again I found Reina's far less captivating as well. I know this is putting it the wrong way considering one is the original and the other an adaptation, but the writing's just not up to snuff to produce enchanting or enthralling scenes like spoiler[Kumiko and Reina's time climbing the mountain in the anime].

I'm not sure that the horny bits about the girls are meant to be saying something about Kumiko. Given the level of the writing, I felt it was less likely that it was an immersive way to peer into her mind, and more that they were being described from a detached viewer's standpoint for simple titillation. The interactions with Shuiichi at points in the book are a far more simple and textbook case of describing exactly what Kumiko is feeling (she felt X, it didn't feel good, etc etc), spoiler[making for a boring attempt at romance in my eyes]. I much preferred the anime's take spoiler[where they clearly framed her interest in Reina], but I don't really see that in the novel at all, it reeks of typical highschool friendship to me.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
KyoAni almost seems like they like to go out of their way to adapt material that has a wonderful premise but mediocre storytelling. K-ON! was certainly that way, and I've heard Kobayashi's Dragon Maid was much improved in the anime too. Maybe that's why they refuse to give awards to their light novel contests - "Your writing sucks but we like the idea so we're gonna do our own thing with it k thanks"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
On the flip side, Suiichi's reduced role in the anime adaptation made it seem like he popped up whenever they needed to reassure the audience that Kumiko wasn't actually gay for Reina.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Kumiko and Reina do climb the mountain in the book and Reina does trace her finger along Kumiko's face. (Page 120) However, it is stated in such a flat way that you could easily miss that sentence. Having seen the anime gives a lot of what goes on in the book more significance then if you read the book first.
Aezreal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Actually, Kumiko and Reina do climb the mountain in the book and Reina does trace her finger along Kumiko's face. (Page 120) However, it is stated in such a flat way that you could easily miss that sentence. Having seen the anime gives a lot of what goes on in the book more significance then if you read the book first.

If this was a reply to what I said about how the writing fails to convey any semblance of the anime scenes like the mountain one, I didn't mean to say it didn't happen in the book, just that it packs no punch whatsoever comparatively. Reina is far less expressive, Kumiko seems far less taken in, and even spends some time wondering about Shuiichi and Hazuki and not minding Reina. It's just not a notable moment, whereas in the show it was enrapturing.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
@Aezreal

I think we are in agreement as to how the book is written. I just wanted to point out that this was not a scene that the anime made up. My impression is that the author of the book intended it to have the same implications as the scene did in the anime. That is a fairly erotic gesture. I just think he couldn't carry it off in his writing. Most of the memorable Kumiko/Reina scenes are in the book, the writing just drains them of most meaning.

On a different note, looking at the cover illustration, I don't know what Midori is on, but she is obviously feeling no pain.
Boyhime732

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
On the flip side, Suiichi's reduced role in the anime adaptation made it seem like he popped up whenever they needed to reassure the audience that Kumiko wasn't actually gay for Reina.

I got the opposite effect. The fact that this whole romance storyline was going on with little-to-zero input or action from Kumiko just convinced me she was a lesbian.

"You like this guy" "No I don't!" is a poor way of establishing straightness these days.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

I don't get that feeling from the anime at all. Especially early on in the second season Kumiko appeared to be clearly in love with Reina. That "being in love" appeared to peak around the episode where Kumiko and Reina went together to the festival. However it seems to me from then on Kumiko slowly "falls out of love" with Reina. I don't think there's one particular point where this happens but by the time at the end that spoiler[ Kumiko says to Asuka that she "likes/loves" her ] she is no longer in love with Reina.

BTW I'm not sure if Kumiko's spoiler[ "confession" to Asuka at the end is to be taken as a love confession. ] It's probably not.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
Well, after reading this review, I definitely won't check out the novels. Personally, I felt nothing for the first 9 or so episodes of the anime, and only felt like it picked up towards the end of the first season. And, thinking back, I honestly don't remember if I checked out the 2nd season or if I ended up dropping it.

Anyway, reading the review, seems like the book isn't for me at all. Reviewer clearly enjoyed the anime adaption, but seems like the novel comes off as "nothing much happens". If I felt that for about 3/4 of the anime adaption, I'd be wasting my time with the novel.
Kamieichi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I just think he couldn't carry it off in his writing.

That's she. Just so you know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1