• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Planned Hollywood Live-Action your name. Film Already Has Manga Parody

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading some of the comments from Japan on Twitter about the announcement. This comic is one of the tamer ones.

-Stuart Smith
hikura

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Anyone but abrams.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Anyone but abrams.

Well to be fair, he's only confirmed to be producing for now, only time will tell if he actually takes the director's chair.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hopefully, the Hollywood version has more nuance than Yokoyama's and can do the original work justice.

I honestly wouldn't bet on this lol. This might be better than what hollywood has in mind. at least it's kinda funny Anime hyper[/quote]
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
An inter-racial romance between a druggy & an obese African-American? That's very progressive of Yokomama. I'd watch that film.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
It's only funny because it's true.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
0/10 Not enough machine guns, hamburgers, and American patriotism
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Two of the most common stereotypes are that the U.S. is extremely dangerous and Americans are constantly yelling and exclaiming.

Well, you can blame our media for the first one. The second one is not really a stereotype, but the actual truth, when you compare American society to Japanese society.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Guy: Hey, Taki! I got some good drugs, so wanna do them!?
Mitsuha: There's tons of dangers in New York!

TarsTarkas wrote:
Quote:
Two of the most common stereotypes are that the U.S. is extremely dangerous and Americans are constantly yelling and exclaiming.

Well, you can blame our media for the first one.

Well, you can blame our media for saying that NYC is the Center of the Hip American Universe (and the Japanese obsession with "I'm going to find my rebellious self on the mean streets of NY!"), but the "It's full of gangs, crime, drugs and riots" is really more the cultural Japanese nervousness, when the curiosity of ever leaving their island far enough to visit any other country beyond Hawaii becomes the fear of being stranded there without other fellow citizens like themselves.
There's a point where xenophobia becomes agoraphobia, when you actually have to go out and face what you fear.

Quote:
The second one is not really a stereotype, but the actual truth, when you compare American society to Japanese society.

All that's missing is to have the NY guy named "MacDonald", as they show big closeups of the cowboy boots he wears inside his apartment. Rolling Eyes

Japan, we know you're as PO'ed as you were when finally got a look at the 90's Godzilla, but please...Just leave the cynical "Bad American anime remake" jokes to us.
We know whereof we speak, and being Crazy Emotional Violent-Tempered Americans, we're more gleeful at ripping them new ones for it.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Well, you can blame our media for the first one.

Can you? America has one of the highest crime rates in the world. Violent crime rates has been increasing every year for awhile now. Maybe not compared to an African warlord country, but first-world wise, we're pretty bad.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Lol, that's amazing if the comic creator honestly thinks they'd cast anyone Black in the movie (that isn't purely in the background). Jokes are already being made about ScarJo or Emma Stone being cast.

I'll be really disappointed if they do this though. There really is no point, especially when it already sounds like they'll be divorcing it from some of the issues the movie is about/in reaction to.
鳳凰の王

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
New Orleans to be hit by meteors, confirmed. Oh, poor New Orleans, didn't you get wiped out in the first episode of Aldnoah.Zero as well? Why are the Japanese treat you thus?!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

Can you? America has one of the highest crime rates in the world. Violent crime rates has been increasing every year for awhile now. Maybe not compared to an African warlord country, but first-world wise, we're pretty bad.

This is a pretty shaky claim depending on who you're listening to and what data you're following

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/dueling-claims-on-crime-trend/
Nodz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Anyone but abrams.

So let's hope Adam Wingard and James Wong are available.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha, I lol'd. Seriously, this sketch parody is kinda fun actually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2