• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Unique Takes on Edogawa Ranpo

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
But there isn't an anime adaptation of Imo-mushi. Or is there?
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Um...bungo stray dogs? Lol
LoriasGS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I only realised my biggest issue with Game of Lapace after I'd finished watching it, the "great detective" Akechi doesn't solve a single crime or mystery in the entire series, every single mystery is solved by another character and then Akechi turns up and says words to the effect of "I figured that out ages ago"

Trickster is very similar so I'm wondering if that's actually what happens in Ranpo's own writing.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Even though Conan is clearly the winner as far as the title of top detective goes (he clearly is the top of this list), I had to choose Sherlock Hound in the poll, because he's awesome. I am not sorry. :D
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:

Ok, so you changed the name of the article, but you should also change it in the forum, it's still called "6 Anime Iterations".
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
Nodz wrote:

Ok, so you changed the name of the article, but you should also change it in the forum, it's still called "6 Anime Iterations".

Fix'd. When changing an article title, we actually have to change it in at least three places. Anime dazed
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Plenty of Ranpo's work feature both supernatural (and erotic) overtones. Trickster picks up the latter in spades by casting boy detective Kobayashi as an immortal...

The parentheses don't go with the word "both" (unless another element was omitted?), but that aside, don't you mean "the former"? I don't recall anything erotic about Kobayashi's immortality and I suffered through the entire series. There was a fair amount of ridiculous symbolic homoeroticism between Akechi and 20 Faces though, so I'd say Trickster picked up both in spades.

As for the title, you could've stuck to anime and included Bungo Stray Dogs instead of Imo-mushi. Smile
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace was my first introduction to Ranpo, and while at times i found it a bit confusing it kept me interested and loved how dark it was.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:15 am Reply with quote
Yeah, where's Bungo Stray Dogs.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:10 am Reply with quote
I'm going to have to admit my only crossing with a Edogawa Ranpo anything was Teruo Ishii's weirdly directed live action horror flick from 1969 called Horrors of Malformed Men. A movie apparently based on his novels and apparently banned in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1