• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Killing Bites Anime's Promo Video Shows Action Scenes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Since is only on AnimeStrike, I guess watching this in a illegal website
Vizo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I like the variety of fanservice. Nice bara too.Wink
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Kemono Bites is looking great. fripside with another nice song. Can't wait for this.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Somewhat disappointed. Not enough anthros here, instead just going for the ears-and-tail. Just like how I was disappointed when I learned Kemono Friends would just have the ears-and-tail stuff going on. I guess I'll keep watching Usavich.

(I'm not being entirely serious here, of course, but really, Killing Bites isn't really making much of an impression on me. There's a strong been-there-done-that feel to this trailer.)
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Looks great.
AnimusPrime

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Folks, we've got a winner here
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:25 am Reply with quote
Looks like trashy fun.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Somewhat disappointed. Not enough anthros here, instead just going for the ears-and-tail. Just like how I was disappointed when I learned Kemono Friends would just have the ears-and-tail stuff going on. I guess I'll keep watching Usavich.

(I'm not being entirely serious here, of course, but really, Killing Bites isn't really making much of an impression on me. There's a strong been-there-done-that feel to this trailer.)

I know youre not being entirely serious but just to explain things a little spoiler[they can take on a much more animalistic appearance if they so desire. For example theres a guy with snake features who morphs the lower part of his body at first but later he does it to his upper body next. The end result is that he looks like a giant king cobra with arms. Or that hippo guy in the trailer who can morph into an almost complete hippo but still retains his human legs and can still walk like a human]

I can understand the been there done that feel but IMO the manga's premise hasn't really been used before unless theres some old and obscure anime/manga where spoiler[certain humans were genetically engineered to have qualities and abilities of certain animals and made to fight each other in a competition akin to cockfighting.]
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
I know youre not being entirely serious but just to explain things a little spoiler[they can take on a much more animalistic appearance if they so desire. For example theres a guy with snake features who morphs the lower part of his body at first but later he does it to his upper body next. The end result is that he looks like a giant king cobra with arms. Or that hippo guy in the trailer who can morph into an almost complete hippo but still retains his human legs and can still walk like a human]

I can understand the been there done that feel but IMO the manga's premise hasn't really been used before unless theres some old and obscure anime/manga where spoiler[certain humans were genetically engineered to have qualities and abilities of certain animals and made to fight each other in a competition akin to cockfighting.]

Well, my father was a fan of Guyver from way back in the day (he'd watch the anime, and he also loved the live-action movies), which was what came to mind when you described the premise in that way. I get what you mean though. Also sounds a lot like the Bloody Roar games.

I think I saw the hippo very briefly in the trailer. I suppose that straddles the line, but it seems it's being played to look horrific (which, actually, fits with the premise better than if it was done otherwise). This sort of thing in anime mostly just happens to male characters though. Female characters almost always simply get "Little Bit Beastly" (unless it was written by Osamu Tezuka or Yosuke Kuroda).

It's just odd to me because there is no shortage of furry art from Japan (and man, do they love their anthro dragons), or even video games for that matter. (It'll never happen, but I'd so watch an anime adaptation of Tail Concerto/Solatorobo).
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well, my father was a fan of Guyver from way back in the day (he'd watch the anime, and he also loved the live-action movies), which was what came to mind when you described the premise in that way. I get what you mean though. Also sounds a lot like the Bloody Roar games.

I think I saw the hippo very briefly in the trailer. I suppose that straddles the line, but it seems it's being played to look horrific (which, actually, fits with the premise better than if it was done otherwise). This sort of thing in anime mostly just happens to male characters though. Female characters almost always simply get "Little Bit Beastly" (unless it was written by Osamu Tezuka or Yosuke Kuroda).

It's just odd to me because there is no shortage of furry art from Japan (and man, do they love their anthro dragons), or even video games for that matter. (It'll never happen, but I'd so watch an anime adaptation of Tail Concerto/Solatorobo).

Sounds like your dad is probably my age give or take. Yes it is akin to Bloody Roar and as for that beastly part youre talking about its not just the men. spoiler[There are girls who can make themselves into a giant lizard and a part leopard. The lizard isnt that beastly per say but its a little creepy especially for those who dont like lizards and her scales and eyes are quite emphasized] and the leading lady is a honey badger which are some of the most fearless and badass animals alive. Even in just her incomplete hybrid form in the trailer she looks pretty damn beastly like she came out of a horror movie
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:

Sounds like your dad is probably my age give or take. Yes it is akin to Bloody Roar and as for that beastly part youre talking about its not just the men. spoiler[There are girls who can make themselves into a giant lizard and a part leopard. The lizard isnt that beastly per say but its a little creepy especially for those who dont like lizards and her scales and eyes are quite emphasized] and the leading lady is a honey badger which are some of the most fearless and badass animals alive. Even in just her incomplete hybrid form in the trailer she looks pretty damn beastly like she came out of a horror movie

Actually, when I say "Little Bit Beastly," I'm referring to what TV Tropes calls it, which they describe as such:

"A Little Bit Beastly is not furry, feathery, or scaly, and should still have human skin, a human face, a completely human nose, and a human skull and torso structure. Additional features like claws, horns, Animal Eyes, Cute Little Fangs, or the special abilities and/or instincts of that animal, may also be present."

Among the furry fandom, this is typically referred to as "10% anthropomorphism" (though the Honey Badger character in this may be 20% or 25% as her limbs get covered in fur), to distinguish it from anthropomorphism without the percentage, which, for the record, TV Troes distinguishes as "Petting Zoo People", a term that's used only at V Tropes but is described pretty well:

"A Petting Zoo Person is a type of character who is so anthropomorphized that they resemble an animal's skin, head and tail placed on an otherwise human body frame (think of one of those costumed, silent "mascots" at a sports event, or the costumed characters at Disney theme parks). This is a higher degree of anthropomorphism than the Funny Animal (who retain the general shape and proportions of the animal), but a step below those that are a Little Bit Beastly (whose only animal features are their ears and tail, possibly claws); in Japan, this level of anthropomorphism is referred to as "kemono" (which is shortened term of kemono-obito or beast-man, and is also what Japanese furry fans call themselves)."

In other words, I was expecting, say, Serval from Kemono Friends to look more like this:
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
GhostD wrote:

Actually, when I say "Little Bit Beastly," I'm referring to what TV Tropes calls it, which they describe as such:

"A Little Bit Beastly is not furry, feathery, or scaly, and should still have human skin, a human face, a completely human nose, and a human skull and torso structure. Additional features like claws, horns, Animal Eyes, Cute Little Fangs, or the special abilities and/or instincts of that animal, may also be present."

Among the furry fandom, this is typically referred to as "10% anthropomorphism" (though the Honey Badger character in this may be 20% or 25% as her limbs get covered in fur), to distinguish it from anthropomorphism without the percentage, which, for the record, TV Troes distinguishes as "Petting Zoo People" (this term doesn't seem to be used outside of TV Tropes):

"A Petting Zoo Person is a type of character who is so anthropomorphized that they resemble an animal's skin, head and tail placed on an otherwise human body frame (think of one of those costumed, silent "mascots" at a sports event, or the costumed characters at Disney theme parks). This is a higher degree of anthropomorphism than the Funny Animal (who retain the general shape and proportions of the animal), but a step below those that are a Little Bit Beastly (whose only animal features are their ears and tail, possibly claws); in Japan, this level of anthropomorphism is referred to as "kemono" (which is shortened term of kemono-obito or beast-man, and is also what Japanese furry fans call themselves)."

In other words, I was expecting, say, Serval from Kemono Friends to look more like this:

Well to be precise they can control their transformations so that they can be like the honey badger and the rabbit girl in the trailer as in 20% or they can take on a much more hybrid form like I described or like the one in your pic. Its really all up to them especially if the situation demands a full transformation or a partial one. The manga isnt licensed so I doubt you can find it other than reading in pirate sites but I think youtube has some chapters in different languages. To be frank Im not really a furry fan I was into it for the violence and because I like how they use their animal features and abilities or combine the abilities of several species in a fight especially because they use the real abilities of an animal/mammal/reptile instead of making stuff up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1