• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Killing Bites (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:25 am Reply with quote

Killing Bites (TV)

Genres: action, science fiction, thriller
Themes: battle royale, fanservice, fighting, human-animal hybrid, mutants, survival game

Plot Summary: People have been created that are human-animal hybrids, and powerful businesses bet on the outcome of their duels. College student Nomoto Yuuya's casual acquaintances ask him to drive them around to pick up girls one day, which he soon finds out means by force. The girl they kidnap is an animal-human hybrid named Hitomi, who slaughters all of them except Yuuya. Hitomi is a honey badger, which has been called the most fearless of all animals. Now Hitomi is assigned to stay with Yuuya, for his protection!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

I definitely got the intentions of this show. The story honestly sounds dumb but hey, there are animals and characters that can transform into their beast mode

Fan service is very evident with characters like Hitomi. The action felt mindless (although I will admit, it's kinda intense when the momentum gets going)

Underwhelming start so far. Just felt like popcorn entertainment with unimpressive storytelling. I will say this though...the show is pretty honest with its style but I'm not getting my hopes up yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Honey Badger don't care.

What can even beat a were-honey badger?

It is certainly trashy, and that does not necesarilly mean a bad thing, but the whole attempted rape thing does leave a bad taste.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:59 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure this is going to be scratching my "trashy good fun" itch for the season. I bet the furries are going crazy for this one.
Logicoma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Has potential to be a fun guilty pleasure. I thought the fight scene was pretty good. If it keeps up that level of quality, it'll be worth watching.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I doubt very much that I'll stick with it, but after sooooo many slow and sweet and cute (and admittedly- mostly good) shows to begin the season I did feel the need for a cleanser.

I certainly laughed more and harder during it than a comedy like School Babysitters or Slow Start. Whether that was the maker's intention or not.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I certainly laughed more and harder during it than a comedy like School Babysitters or Slow Start. Whether that was the maker's intention or not.

I think that is the show's intent. I didn't get the impression that the makers were labouring under some illusion as to what kind of show this is.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Except I'm not getting a "funny excess" humor that you get from something like Kenichi, The Mightiest Disciple or even Tenjho Tenge (where you could still be impressed by the actual fighting- no matter how silly it was).

This was just me laughing at the pathetic nature of the various types of violent and titillating fan service. Maybe they knew some people would laugh at gross old man licking the screen, but I assume they also want you to take it, in some form, seriously --which ain't gonna happen.

That and the Kemono Fiends special moves. Pure comedy.

SLASH!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Loved the appearance of Nomoto's otaku buddy. I notice how male Brutes fully transform into animals while female Brutes retain their sexy human features. AS IT SHOULD BE!!! I can't wait for Bunny Girl's intro.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:43 am Reply with quote
For me at least it seemed the quality of the animation took a hit during the 2nd episode,the force perspective seemed off.
Will add the show is certainly educational...learning oh so much about honey badgers lol.

I think the show is having fun with a semi-op female lovestruck MC.
Suldrun45

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
After all the cuteness of this season, I'm really enjoying this crossover between Kemono Friends and Ikkitousen Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Yep, I knew I'd like Bunny Girl. Bring on the Destroyal!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Oh good, rape as punishment for the girl characterised as looking down on others. There is nothing super gross about that. Yep, this show is super gross, feels like too much for me really to give a good picture of. I might just start with how it generally did characters, something that really annoyed me was how it not way understood subtlety of any nuanced villain writing. Every time a character is supposed to be a villain, they act like slobbering beasts, that in no way make sense as humans, which maybe sounds a bit like it is on purpose for this series, but that would way too far be giving it credit. Characters go crazy eyed, with their tongue flying about, and talking in the most ridiculous way, which is not to say that making a character appearing over the top intimidating does not work, other shows just know how to portray a characters nature coming out, and an angle to their character without just making a character gross. Because being gross was just how this show thought you could hate someone, like all the instances of implied rape. And even dumber is that this show thinks it is being deep and mature as it does so.

In general I don't think it had any actual respect for its own characters, it lost all of that early on when it decided to do things like HItomi's panties get stolen by Cheetah, with her running around. Followed by the introduction by a super gross otaku guy, that I am sure the show wanted us to connect with, but was trash on the level of a rapist, and making me feel sick like I would be like him. It did have a Hitomi origin episode, which really was not bad to build off of her character, but I am starting to think that these types of things are actually really cheap way to make a mostly one note character suddenly more interesting. And Hitomi herself, there has to be problems with this type of character, that I feel like she was practically written to be like some stand in of a women who seems totally uninterested in you to sounding like she hates your guts, but secretly care and like you.

The main character is mostly inoffensive, and that is probably his defining trait. The guy is written like he is perpetually a victim, like everyone around him is being unfairly cruel to him, and he is not getting the sorts of things he deserves, with the hint that it includes girls. Which feels like it is aimed right at those guys who see themselves as victims because they don't think they do anything wrong, and yet all the girls are cruel because they won't reward him with themselves, but really they are pricks who think they simply deserve things because they act nice and really see women as objects. Sure they say that they are fans of saying they have understanding of depth, that it could be some ridiculous born on the streets thing, cheering for the waifu, and yet they want to see them in uncomfortable positions like overpowered by aphrodisiac that forces them to make out with a girl.

Really, rating it Weak (3/10). Maybe I found myself interested a bit beyond that, but I can't in good conscious rate it higher.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I rated this series Good. I thought it was trashy, over-the-top fun and I enjoyed it as such. I really hope that Nomoto isn't actually dead. Hitomi's attack really surprised me, wasn't expecting that at all. The ending definitely acts like there will be another season and I hope that's true!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1