• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BONES' Hisone to Masotan Anime's 1st Promo Video Reveals April 12 Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7PhoenixAshes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Ehr-mai-gerd, this is so cute. I want it now. Nooooooow.
MsVitchDa2nd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Well then this seems............different. How to train your dragon in the modern age anime?
let's see how this goes.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:28 pm Reply with quote
The simplistic character designs are definitely a different look than you usually see out of a BONES original (weren't one of their first original shows used simplistic designs?). I wonder if there's going to be How to Train Your Dragon vibe out of this.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:59 am Reply with quote
I was promised dragons. Where are the dragons?

Still, this show looks nice. I like the simplistic aesthetic.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:23 am Reply with quote
Yeah...NO. This looks like your standard CGDCT with a kiddie artstyle ... definitely not for me
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:43 am Reply with quote
Looks fun. It’ll be interesting to see how this turns out with Studio Bones behind it.

donhumberto wrote:
Yeah...NO. This looks like your standard CGDCT with a kiddie artstyle ... definitely not for me

Yeah... NO. It can hardly be simply described as what you said here since there are also some guys involved in the show as well as the fact that, to anybody that actually read the synopsis, the show’s plot appears to be a more narrative driven type that sets out to do more than the “standard CGDCT.” How about waiting until the anime is actually out before dismissing it completely? Nothing wrong with keeping an open mind, as hard as that may be for you to believe.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:34 am Reply with quote
I can see this getting lots of sakuga animation treatment, if its simplistic character design and potential action sequences with the flying dragon(s ?) could give more freedom to the animators.
On the other hand, I understand the nice or even 'artsy' look of a simplistic character design, but this just seems rather off to me, like they're all having a frog face. Not that it'll prevent me to check it out and see if I would evetually see the appeal.

Joshua Zarate wrote:
donhumberto wrote:

Yeah... NO. It can hardly be described as such since there are also some guys involved in the show as well as the fact that, to anybody that actually read the synopsis, the show’s plot appears to be a more narrative driven type that sets out to do more than the “standard CGDCT.” How about waiting until the anime is actually out before dismissing it completely? There’s nothing wrong with keeping an open mind, as hard as that may be for you to believe.

A funny guess indeed, eheheh.
I think Okada would give more plot driven drama/developments even when it's a CGDCT.
Heck, even I actually afraid that this series would involve the shocking killing of some character, if they actually follow the overused trope of 'unanticipated death due to the overall kiddy looking show'.
I hope they won't go that route as in many cases, I think they are just unnecessary. From the look of it thus far, it seems safe and more of pure spirited stories.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:32 am Reply with quote
MsVitchDa2nd wrote:
Well then this seems............different. How to train your dragon in the modern age anime?
let's see how this goes.
I thought it looked a bit retro, the establishing shots looked like they came out of a 90s Anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1