• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tomoyo Kurosawa, Toshiyuki Toyonaga Win 12th Annual Seiyū Awards

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:32 am Reply with quote
Congrats to Toshiyuki and Tomoyo on winning and to everyone else as well.

Quote:
Singing Award
Award for singing by voice actors or actresses under own name or in a role
Dōbutsu Biscuits x PPP

Oh, look. Kemono Friends wins another award. It just won't stop. I wonder why.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:38 am Reply with quote
So happy for Tosshi! His performance as Yuuri was just outstanding in every possible sense! I still get chills from that parking lot scene. Knowing how much work they put into the voice acting of Yuri on Ice, it's wonderful to see these guys getting rewarded for it.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:41 am Reply with quote
Tomoyo Kurosawa got the award for Houseki no Kuni? Oh yes, that's really great to hear.

KH91 wrote:
Oh, look. Kemono Friends wins another award. It just won't stop. I wonder why.
For obvious reasons. It's not like every anime opening go gold, being the most popular karaoke song of the year and appears with the live performance on the M Station, not to mention twice.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:24 am Reply with quote
Tomoyo Kurosawa had already impressed me with her performance as Kumiko in both seasons of Sound! Euphonium, but her performance as Phos in Land of the Lustrous is the definition of award-worthy.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:24 am Reply with quote
I get why Tomoyo Kurosawa won, but Toshiyuki Toyonaga is getting awarded for a character he voiced in 2016? Akira Ishida should have won for Yakumo VIII.
HolsteinCrab

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:44 am Reply with quote
I saw some of these coming a mile off but I'm still deeply disappointed as a rakugo fan. It's a shame that for 2 years rakugo walked away with absolutely nothing when it was one of the best examples of what Japanese voice acting has to offer and showcased some of the finest seiyuu experimenting with a different performance style. I knew when I voted both years that rakugo's chances were slim but I kept hoping that at least it would get some small acknowledgement, just a little recognition of the supreme effort and craftsmanship that went into it.

One thing I do have to wonder though is if rakugo may have also lost chances based on the way its character roles were lined up so Japanese fans who wanted to vote for Akira Ishida as Yakumo VIII didn't know whether he qualified as lead or supporting given how he's billed behind Tomokazu Seki for most of season 2 except for the final episode. Voting for Yuu Kobayashi was a similar predicament - Konatsu is the principal female of that season but does she qualify as lead or support when she gets third billing but is the first female seiyuu credited? From a story perspective Yakumo and Konatsu are the 'lead' characters of that season but credit wise Yotaro is the protagonist so it was a mess trying to work out which one would technically count. Granted this isn't the only anime to have this problem but I think rakugo's true protagonist issue didn't do it any favours here.

Also what is going on with the best supporting category? It seems some years they have two for actor and/or actress and sometimes just one... Is it a tie issue or do they just decide to change the amount whenever they feel like it? Shocked
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
I don't pay attention to seiyuu (I prefer to watch my anime in English), but Tomoyo Kurosawa's performance as Phos from Land of the Lustrous was really great, not gonna lie. So I'd say her win is well-deserved. Smile

I have no opinion on the others, because Tomoyo is the only seiyuu I care about now! Well, her and Norio Wakamoto, of course Wink

Last edited by Raebo101 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:28 pm; edited 5 times in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:04 am Reply with quote
^ should watch more subbed anime. The acting is just far superior on average.

Absolutely fantastic choices this year but I do agree that the cast of Rakugo should've won stuff. Really glad Tomoyo Kurosawa finally got recognized after years of being amazing. Also glad Ayane Sakura won something as well. Easily two of my top 5 "newer" Seiyuu.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
^ should watch more subbed anime. The acting is just far superior on average.

Hold up! Laughing I should clarify: I watch plenty of anime in Japanese (I'm currently watching Girls' Last Tour, Made in Abyss, and Re:Creators, among others), but I still prefer to watch my anime dubbed. English voice actors are always delivering solid performances, so I keep watching them.

Nice try, Kougeru~ Wink
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:39 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I get why Tomoyo Kurosawa won, but Toshiyuki Toyonaga is getting awarded for a character he voiced in 2016? Akira Ishida should have won for Yakumo VIII.

I'm assuming the same criteria that allowed YOI to win the Tokyo Anime Award this year are also what made it possible for Toyonaga to be awarded.

While I do agree Ishida's performance of Yakumo deserved an award -didn't he get one last year? I'm not sure-, Toyonaga also did a superb work as Yuuri. It has been mentioned in interviews that the staff would stay in the recording studio for up to 7 hours to get the voices right (with the average sessions for other shows ranging between 1 and 3 hours), so it's really gratifying that both him and Suwabe are getting recognition for that hard work.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

While I do agree Ishida's performance of Yakumo deserved an award -didn't he get one last year? I'm not sure-

Unfortunately, iirc, Your Name won last year instead. I also agree that Ishida should've gotten an award for at least one of the two seasons, as Rakugo was a unique experience when it came to the focus and approach of voice acting.

Raebo101 wrote:
I should clarify: I watch plenty of anime in Japanese (I'm currently watching Girls' Last Tour, Made in Abyss, and Re:Creators, among others), but I still prefer to watch my anime dubbed. English voice actors are always delivering solid performances, so I keep watching them.

Some dub actors are pretty amazing, but I can't resist suggesting this due to your icon-- I'd highly recommend the subtitled version of NGE if you've only seen the dub. Ogata's Shinji performance is one of the overall best in my opinion. (Of course, if you've already seen the sub, just ignore me Smile)

Last edited by Terrible90sDub on Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Very happy to see Tomoyo Kurosawa win the lead actress award. Her performance as Phos in Land of the Lustrous was absolutely phenomenal and I would wager that it wouldn’t have been as popular as it’s been without her voice acting.
HolsteinCrab

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While I do agree Ishida's performance of Yakumo deserved an award -didn't he get one last year? I'm not sure-, Toyonaga also did a superb work as Yuuri. It has been mentioned in interviews that the staff would stay in the recording studio for up to 7 hours to get the voices right (with the average sessions for other shows ranging between 1 and 3 hours), so it's really gratifying that both him and Suwabe are getting recognition for that hard work.

Ishida has to date received no Japanese award for his performance in rakugo. (I think he won something like critic's choice award on reddit though.) He has however received great praise from rakugo performers and industry members so it's not as though he got completely ignored Smile

I agree that Suwabe and Toyonaga put a great deal of effort into their work on YOI but it's also worth acknowledging that the Rakugo team worked very hard too. Every rakugo performance they had to do in one take to maintain the tempo and under the supervision of a rakugo master or else start the whole thing all over again. The audition process itself was to do 3 minutes of a rakugo performance with no script. Ishida admitted in an interview that his audition piece was 'shinigami' but in a style he felt was not Yakumo's rakugo and thus put a lot of thought into creating a performance that was not Ishida doing rakugo but Yakumo doing rakugo. He was also deeply anxious about portraying a meijin and co-starring with legends Kouichi Yamadera and Megumi Hayashibara. (Even though he’d appeared with both of them in other projects he seemed to suggest this was the first time he’d been cast in a position of equals with them.) Hayashibara noted that perfectionist Ishida would also worry over every little mistake he made. Yamadera had his own grief over it being one of the most unforgiving auditions he’d ever experienced in his career and the fact he’d been waiting his entire career for a good rakugo anime so he wanted to get it right. Hayashibara wanted to like rakugo as an artform but due to being a method actress and portraying a character who comes to hate rakugo, she ended up confessing to Yamadera that watching it distressed her because she still had Miyokichi’s feelings inside her. Tomokazu Seki found the whole thing exhausting due to not only the perfection required for each rakugo sequence but also playing such an energetic, vivacious character who screams the whole time. Yuu Kobayashi was one of the most junior cast members on a project filled with legends and you guessed it, had to perfect her every rakugo sequence. On top of that characters had to resemble one another at certain points so we had some of the seiyuu having to perform in a style that could readily be identified as that of their co-stars. It bears noting that Ishida, Yamadera, Seki and Kobayashi are all great fans of rakugo and held great passion for the project because they wanted to promote the artform to a wider audience. For them this was a labour of love.

Many VAs work incredibly hard at their craft, but unfortunately not all of them get recognition or accolades for it. (I’m still not happy about Megumi Ogata not getting Best Actress for Evangelion 3.0 given how much of a toll it took on her.) Rakugo didn’t have to win the main awards but something like synergy or just a small honorary award would’ve been nice. But hey, if a fan loves a performance then that’s still a reward in and of itself.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Terrible90sDub wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
I should clarify: I watch plenty of anime in Japanese (I'm currently watching Girls' Last Tour, Made in Abyss, and Re:Creators, among others), but I still prefer to watch my anime dubbed. English voice actors are always delivering solid performances, so I keep watching them.

Some dub actors are pretty amazing, but I can't resist suggesting this due to your icon-- I'd highly recommend the subtitled version of NGE if you've only seen the dub. Ogata's Shinji performance is one of the overall best in my opinion. (Of course, if you've already seen the sub, just ignore me Smile)

I've seen some of NGE subbed, and I agree that Megumi Ogata does an amazing job as Shinji. But I have a soft spot Spike Spencer's performance, 1) because that's the version I grew up with, and 2) because, for the most part, I think Spike also does a great job, especially in the second Rebuild film. I'll eventually watch NGE subbed completely, though. Smile
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:04 am Reply with quote
This award is a popularity contest, we all knew that, but nothing shows it better than Rakugo getting snubbed like that. Outstanding performances way out of your average seiyuu's comfort zone with incredible amount of work and research going into them... but hey, it wasn't a hit show, too bad.

Toyonaga Toshiyuki did well as Yuuri, he was good but I don't think he accomplished anything particularly great. Most other seiyuu would have been able to do what he did. And Suwabe Junichi might have worked hard on YOI but his performance wasn't outstanding or intertesting, and I don't think I've heard anything from him since then that would merit an award. I really like Suwabe, I think he's a good seiyuu when he puts his mind to it, and I've heard really great performances from him in the right roles (Worick in Gangsta comes to mind). But Viktor wasn't one of those roles, and neither was any of his performances that I've heard last year. And as cynical as I am it still makes me feel salty that he gets an award for an okay performance while absolutely outstanding performances are not even acknowledged.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2